SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 320 carry grip to full size grip conversion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 320 carry grip to full size grip conversion Login/Join 
posted
Hey all, I recently picked up a couple of 320 carry pistols, one in 9mm and one in .45. I know they are designed to be modular, so here's my question. Can I swap out the carry size grip module for a full size and still use the carry sized slide/barrel assembly? Thanks.

Posts: 503 | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
The carry slide/barrel would be too short for a full size frame.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that you can, but it will look really goofy with the frame extending past the slide.

Have never tried it myself, very happy with 17+1 in the carry frame.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
The carry has the same length grip as the full-size

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I could switch the carry slide/barrel to the compact and sub compact?

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigarms:

Yes.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I swap out the carry size grip module for a full size and still use the carry sized slide/barrel assembly? Thanks.

Yes, but it'll look goofy, with the frame sticking out about an inch longer than the front end of the slide. And you won't gain anything, since the Carry and Full Size both have the same length grip and use the same capacity magazines.

quote:

Yep. (The Carry and Compact slides are the same.)

Carry/Compact slide on Carry grip:

Carry/Compact slide on Compact grip:

Carry/Compact slide on Subcompact railed grip:

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great info as always. Thanks guys, looks like another shopping spree.

posted Hide Post
So, they don't make a carry size grip module for the .45?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Can I swap out the carry size grip module for a full size and still use the carry sized slide/barrel assembly? Thanks.

Yes, but it'll look goofy, with the frame sticking out about an inch longer than the front end of the slide. And you won't gain anything, since the Carry and Full Size both have the same length grip and use the same capacity magazines.

quote:

Yep. (The Carry and Compact slides are the same.)

Carry/Compact slide on Carry grip:

Carry/Compact slide on Compact grip:

Carry/Compact slide on Subcompact railed grip:

Doesn't look quite as goofy as I thought it would.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed that the literature that comes with the P320 shows the Compact having a 3.9 inch barrel and the Carry has a 3.86 inch barrel?

I ask as we measured three pistols as the gunshop I work at today and we found that to be the truth. I ask as it seems Sig's site now says they are both 3.9 inch in length.

Anyone noticed this?

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Lover:
Has anyone noticed that the literature that comes with the P320 shows the Compact having a 3.9 inch barrel and the Carry has a 3.86 inch barrel?

I ask as we measured three pistols at the gun shop I work at today and we found that to be the truth. I ask as it seems Sig's site now says they are both 3.9 inch in length.

Anyone noticed this?

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq18Hz:

Doesn't look quite as goofy as I thought it would.

I see no photo showing a full sized grip with a compact/carry slide?

As you stated earlier, the frame would be sticking out...

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's an example I found online of a Compact slide on a Full Size grip. It's the pistol in the upper right of the below photo:

The pistol in the bottom left is a Full Size slide on a Compact grip, with a 21 round magazine and an X-Grip adapter.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
. . . and remember that an old (early) set of grips exist that do not work with with the new set of grips AND anything other than medium essentially does not exist. [look at the pictures above and note the two different grips] Have been waiting since December for a small grip for Full-size of the newer type. But I must note that a rep. from SIG has been keeping us in the loop and providing a sequence of up-dates on when grips might appear. [selling on ebay for 2.5 times regular price - that tells a lot]

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
and remember that an old (early) set of grips exist that do not work with with the new set of grips. [look at the pictures above and note the two different grips]

Are you just talking about the minor differences with the slide catch cutouts on modern P250/P320 grips, or are you talking about the earliest P250 grip modules that used different magazine baseplates than the more recent P250/P320 grip modules? None of the above photos show these early style P250 grips.

The earliest P250 grips are not compatible with newer P250/P320 magazine base plates. But that change was made back in 2009. You rarely ever see original P250 grip modules out there. None of the retailers sell them any more, but but it's something to keep an eye out for if buying grips on the secondary market.

Here's a shot showing the difference between the early pre-2009 P250 grips, and the modern P250/P320 grips:

Here's a photo of an early P250:

quote:
AND anything other than medium essentially does not exist

Not true. I've purchased 3 different Large grips in the past ~3 months: Full Size, Compact, and Carry. Small grips also show up for sale from time to time.

But I'll agree that Large/Small grip production isn't keeping up with demand.

Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the P-250 grips work with P-320 Slide & FCU? Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the P-250 grips work with P-320 Slide & FCU? Chris

Correct. Provided they're not the early pre-2009 style P250 grips I discussed in my last post. But as mentioned, you're unlikely to run across a set of those these days.

Modern P250 grip modules and P320 grip modules are identical and interchangeable. As are P250/P320 magazines (among the same caliber).

posted Hide Post
I know nothing about P250 grips - nor have I claimed to know about same.

New series P320 grips may be going to Arkansas, but they are almost as rare as hen's teeth in Michigan. I have had a request at a MAJOR SIG store since December to no avail. However, a SIG rep. sends me a note now and again as to when SIG expects to send grips to the store. That date keeps being pushed back.

Telling is the sale of grips on ebay at 2 to 2.5 times expected cost. That would not occur if supply was at all close to demand.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
New series P320 grips may be going to Arkansas, but they are almost as rare as hen's teeth in Michigan.

It's not a matter of them being more available in Arkansas than Michigan. All of my Large grips were purchased online, from places like MidwayUSA and TopGunSupply. It helps to sign up for email notifications at various online dealers, and be ready to pounce when a notification rolls in.

For example, I was just notified by email last night that MidwayUSA had Large Compact grips in stock again.