New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HK VP9SK Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted
I just picked up an HK VP9SK LE with night sights and 3 mags. I had been considering the P2000 and still have one on layaway. I heard good things about the VP9 series and thought why not. I bought it online and when I went to pick it up, the shop has all of their Glocks on sale as well, NIB G19 or G17, gen 5 for $459, NIB G26, gen 5 for $399. So I ended up with a gen 5 G19 too. Big Grin. The HK has a great trigger out of the box.

I got to shoot both last night and my first mag with the HK had failures to feed after every shot with 115 grain Blazer Brass FMJ. I switched to 115 grain Perfecta FMJ and had no issues, then I went back to the Blazer and it worked fine the rest of the time. The Glock performed perfectly the entire time. The only thing I did to the Glock was clean it, put on a set of Ameriglo UC sights and try the .25 trigger job.

Between the two I shot the HK better although with bifocals it’s a pain in the backside trying to pick up the sights on either. Now I’m trying to tell myself I don’t need the G26.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think HK is still recommending using 124gr full power loads during break in. The springs in the VP9 are quite robust and don't work well with 115gr until things loosen up.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! I am a big fan of Hk's and as mentioned above they are very stiff and do require a break in with standard 115gr ammo. If you run 124 you should be good to go right away. But either way after a few rounds through it it will shoot anything. Enjoy.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I think HK is still recommending using 124gr full power loads during break in. The springs in the VP9 are quite robust and don't work well with 115gr until things loosen up.

The problem is not 115gr, but low power 115gr like Blazer, Federal Champion, UMC etc. No problem with Speer Lawman 115gr or Federal American Eagle 115gr. Seems like a lot of people do not properly clean and lube their new pistols either LOL.

Posts: 9738 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for the VP9sk, but I do have the VP9. I had FTF with the first few mags with Magtech 115gr fmj. I read on another forum that I should use 124gr for initial break in. I used WWB 124 nato and ran 250 rds through it with no issues at all. I went back to the Magtech and never had a issue since.

Posts: 27 | Location: Fluid | Registered: January 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Good to know on the heavier bullets, I wasn’t aware of that. Guess I’ll have to load some up or get to the store

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep it simple by running quality ammunition in all my pistols. I clean and lubricate when new before firing a round and never had any issues.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
Good to know on the heavier bullets, I wasn’t aware of that. Guess I’ll have to load some up or get to the store

I break in HK’s with 124gr. Usually run a box of carry ammo first (HST 124gr +P) then a few hundred rounds of Speer 124gr fmj’s. After that even the cheap 115gr runs fine.

I’m getting cases of 124gr or 147gr practice ammo for the exact same price as what 115gr cost now.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fired roughly 150 rounds of cheap UMC 115 grain ammo through my brand new SK. Zero issues. I did grease the pistol first.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I’m getting cases of 124gr or 147gr practice ammo for the exact same price as what 115gr cost now.

Yep, ever since acquiring my suppressors I’ve been all about the 147gr rounds. As you note, anymore it’s as cheap to buy those as 115gr. Consequently I’ve been shooting up what little 115gr I have left in inventory to make way for 147gr replacements.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post