SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thread protector usage advice....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thread protector usage advice.... Login/Join 
Picture of Sourkraut
posted
I have a threaded barrel on one of my pistols and will not be using a suppressor on it anytime soon. Should I use anti-seize, grease, locktight or anything else on the threads? Also, how tight should it be....hand tight, tool?

I don’t want it coming off during use, but want to get it off eventually.

Thoughts?

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anti-seize is a great choice. I snug it with a pair of pliers - just a little bit beyond hand tight. Never had it come lose on me.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You may not be attaching a suppressor, but I'm sure you'll still want to field-strip it, removing the barrel from the slide assembly. So nothing too inviolable.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16307 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Do not use Loctite on thread protector.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
You may not be attaching a suppressor, but I'm sure you'll still want to field-strip it, removing the barrel from the slide assembly. So nothing too inviolable.

Yes....exactly.....I was thinking anti-seize?

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Anti-seize is a great choice. I snug it with a pair of pliers - just a little bit beyond hand tight. Never had it come lose on me.

Andrew

Sounds good, thanks for the advice!

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
A proper sized high temp o-ring works well also.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:

Interesting.....where would I find one of those? Tips on using?

posted Hide Post
I add a bit of antiseive and use an oring. You can get them anywhere. Any Viton oring is fine (my lowes has them). Silicon is a bit better (my local supplier has those) and of course true oring stores probably have aflas, but it isn't needed.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually take the protector off to shoot. Just easier that way.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get a regular barrel is what I do.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:

That is what I have on mine.

Posts: 6298 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
So I’ve been dealing with this on a 9mm Storm Lake barrel. It’s loose after 6 rds.
What size, a #10?
Searching Lowe’s website brings up 282 results. Eek

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Anti-seize and use a pair of these Cannon Plug pliers. The pliers are great for all sorts of low torque things you want to protect. They are made for the knurled aluminum threaded sleeves used on many aircraft and electrical plugs.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com...sV0yf2xoCQmsQAvD_BwE

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Anti-seize and use a pair of these Cannon Plug pliers. The pliers are great for all sorts of low torque things you want to protect. They are made for the knurled aluminum threaded sleeves used on many aircraft and electrical plugs.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com...sV0yf2xoCQmsQAvD_BwE

Thanks, I have padded jaw pliers, but haven’t tried the anti-seize yet.
Just speculating but using both o-ring and goop would make me more confident it would stay in place.

The Lowe’s search for high temp o-rings only gave me 1”+ sizes.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
A small drop of Rocksett.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have heard of using plumbers’ Teflon tape to keep thread protectors in place. I can’t imagine using any sort of thread locker if I ever wanted to remove the thing. But unless we’re in a ninja tactical course with lots of rolling around on the ground and pistol-whipping involved, why not just remove the protector when firing enough rounds to cause it to loosen?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding patronizing, I believe the Rocksett comment was a joke. It's permanent. Din't mean to be an ass, but I don't want you to ruin your barrel, either.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Do not use Loctite on thread protector.

Not disagreeing, but asking: Why not?

I've never had difficulty getting apart anything upon which I've used Loctite Blue. Loctite Purple I believe is even lower strength?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, and Sig, use an O ring. Works great.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post