SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for tips and advice on my first rmr. (Vortex Viper on a Q5)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for tips and advice on my first rmr. (Vortex Viper on a Q5) Login/Join 
Picture of bripro
posted
As much as I tend to be the guy who drives home the importance of using iron sights on both rifles and pistols I admittedly gave in and want to see what rmrs can do for my shooting.

I purchased both of these yesterday from Cabela’s as it was time to cash in my rewards. I was unable to really examine the circa 1970 revolvers I was after due to some new policy with trigger locks but that’s another thread. I have thoroughly examined the Q5 at another shop so I was comfortable enough to buy it without being able to test the trigger function.

I certainly plan to shoot it over a few weekends with the stock sights but will then test it out with this Vortex Viper 6 moa.

Mounting seems straightforward as does operation but is there any advice or tips you guys experienced with optics can give me? It’s a shame, at least on this pistol, that there is no co-witness since it would be the easiest way to dial in the dot. At what distance are most of you dialing these in?

Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, anything anyone can tell me about the pistol won’t fall on deaf ears.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think as you use your new red dot sight you'll likely prefer it to irons. Your selection for 6 MOS is a good size for close hooting. I recommend zeroing in at about fifty feet. That gives you good distance and close up shooting.
Vortex makes some nice ones. My preference is the Shield RMS__high quality and it stays on constantly with 2-3 years battery life. No On or Of buttons. No buttons at all. A JPoint is made by Shield and sells for about a hundred dollars less. You change the battery by removing the Sight. The Shield RMS has a drawer that comes out the side for changing the battery.
I also have a Sig Romeo 1. I leave it on constantly too since it turns off or on via motion. I'll just change all my batteries once a year... Maybe on Thanksgiving Day.
Where ever you see that red dot__fire. Doesn't have to be in the middle.
I like to use a bore laser to zero mine in. Match the dots and your zeroed.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post