SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My initial 365 experience: 200 rounds fired, ( now up to 800 rounds )
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My initial 365 experience: 200 rounds fired, ( now up to 800 rounds ) Login/Join 
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted
I left work a little early today and hit up the nearby indoor range to start the break in of my new SIG 365.

Mine was made on 27 April 2018. Aside from a basic disassembly, quick clean and lube job, ( good ol' Slide Glide lite, ) the only change that I made to my 365 was removing the stock X-ray sights and installing a set of Trijicon HDs.

I picked out two hundred rounds of Independence 124gr FMJs to run through it. I used one of the ten round magazines, ( with the extended base ) that came with my pistol, a second, store bought extended base ten rounder and two, twelve round magazines.

The only issue I had was on the second magazine fired, the slide failed to lock back. However, I'm pretty certain this was shooter induced. I could just tell that my thumb was bumping against the slide catch lever. It's sensitive to contact, so thumb position is definitely a factor to monitor with this pistol. I noticed that while I was hand cycling the pistol at home, with only minimal contact on the slide catch lever, it would engage. Once I kept my thumbs clear, this issue never occurred again.

A very minor gripe I have is concerning the magazines, specifically the ten rounders. When holding them in the hand and loading, the rear corners of the base plate tend to poke into the palm of whichever hand is holding them during loading. Getting the last round loaded is a bit of pain too.

As long as I did my part, accuracy was very good. I shot mostly out to 15', but also fired several magazines worth out to 21', with no real difference in accuracy/grouping.

Recoil was mild and my follow up shots were quick and easy. I will say that so far, I'm very pleased with this new SIG. Now, based on the numerous posts here, videos, etc with folks experiencing various malfunctions, I won't be surprised if I encounter some sort of pistol malfunction. However, at this point, I have a very good feeling about about this pistol. I will continue to fire it and get to know it, along with running some various defensive rounds through it to see what performs the best in it. I already have a holster and mag pouch on the way.

As for carry method, I'm thinking right now about alternating between OWB and pocket/BUG carry.

Other members of the forum who own the 365, ( as well as those who're tried them, experience with them, etc, ) please feel free to post their comments about the SIG 365 within this thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ARMT Guy,

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
When I started shooting mine, loading my 6 magazines really hurt my hand(s). I was holding them as I loaded. I've never experienced it with any other pistol so I attributed it to the tiny magazines and stiff springs. You can knock off the sharp corners to help reduce it.

I tried resting the magazine base plates on a flat surface which helped somewhat. Then I bought an UPLULA loader. That remedied it.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
When I started shooting mine, loading my 6 magazines really hurt my hand(s). I was holding them as I loaded. I've never experienced it with any other pistol so I attributed it to the tiny magazines and stiff springs. You can knock off the sharp corners to help reduce it.

I tried resting the magazine base plates on a flat surface which helped somewhat. Then I bought an UPLULA loader. That remedied it.

Yes, I started resting the ten round mags on the shooting bench to finish loading the last couple rounds. That is a good idea to smooth out the base plate corners a bit. I just picked up two more twelve round mags that came into the shop today, so I'm sitting pretty decent on magazines for it now.

I'd completely forgot about the UPLULA that I keep, ( but hardly ever use ) in my range bag. Red Face

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARMT - Did you use a Sight Tool to remove and replace your front sight or a brass or wooden dowel? I ask because I plan on ordering a Trijicon HD for my P365 and will be determining how to get the old sight off and the new sight on my pistol....Thanks. Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
I have been a stout advocate for the 365. I love everything about this gun but more and more reports are coming in regarding broken firing pins and trigger springs.

MAC just aired a video that his spring broke I believe at about 900 rounds.

I have 1050 rounds through mine so far with no issues but I'm now starting to question using this as my EDC. I may switch back to my Glock and Kahr until further news comes out. I'll keep taking it to the range and if I hit 2000 rounds then I believe my confidence will be restored.

It is a shame these issues continue to pop up as I believe the P365 was truly a game changer.

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
ARMT - Did you use a Sight Tool to remove and replace your front sight or a brass or wooden dowel? I ask because I plan on ordering a Trijicon HD for my P365 and will be determining how to get the old sight off and the new sight on my pistol....Thanks. Mark

I used my MGW Sight Pro. I don't have a shoe for the 365, but masking the portion of the tool the slide rests on and the side feet protect the slide while its secured by the side feet. The sights drift out fairly easily.

posted Hide Post
To all who have sore fingers from loading magazine Maglula is your friend......the best money I ever spent on anything reloading .

I think they cost about $30, but money well spent

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And on the down side, I had a P365, put about 400 rounds down range. Functioned fine, the grip just didn't work for me, shots all over the target. I sold it to a buddy that wanted it badly. Reinvested in a Shield 2.0 9mm.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
After finally sitting down today and cleaning a couple of guns, ( 365 included ) I was a bit surprised by the almost total lack of visible wear on the 365 after its initial two hundred round range session the other day. No barrel smilies or even hint of them.

It must be that damn grease. Cool

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
One detail that I forget to include on my initial post was that on the first couple mags though the gun, I observed random fired cases and saw the primer swipes that others have spoke of. However, as I fired the rest of the two hundred rounds I'd set out to fire that day, these swipes seemed to become far less prominent and largely appeared more like basic primer marks. Beats me if it was the gun breaking in, or the striker wearing away... lol!

Also, the subject of current discussion: the spring that's protruding into the magazine well on some 365s and scratching the mags, ( and its alleged relation to the trigger failures. ) I'm curious on how much of this is based on evidence and how much is conjecture.

At least one member here reversed the spring in his 365 after his trigger failed and his pistol has been running great since. Might this be a spring that can easily be installed incorrectly at the factory by some SIG armorers who are still getting used to assembling the 365?

posted Hide Post
I saw something like that yesterday at the range; the primers I examined after shooting the P365 appeared to show less drag mark or elongation of the firing pin dimple in the primer, than they did when I first began shooting the P365. Mine has about 600 rounds through it so far.

I'm finding that as I get accustomed to the pistol, the size is far less a detriment. When I first rented a range P365, even with the finger rest, the pistol seemed a bit small in my hand. Now with the flush mag it seems quite solid, and it's easy to keep up with the shots and keep them tight. I'm not running a race, but at this stage it's enough. I'm not in a rush, either.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ARMT Guy

Any chance you could post pics of your P365 with the new sights?

As for the primer swipes, I have them on my PM9 and Shield and they are of no concern to me.

Trigger spring issue does not have a definite resolution. I would not be reversing anything until further information is available. It is probably something to do with the legs at the cutoff but that is just my thought.
I have no drag lines on any of my mags after 750 rounds.

Even though I had no striker issues, I went with a steel striker because my gun fell in the possible problem range (mid Feb-April) and I am anal.

The P365 is my EDC.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pm9:
quote:
ARMT Guy

Any chance you could post pics of your P365 with the new sights?

As for the primer swipes, I have them on my PM9 and Shield and they are of no concern to me.

Trigger spring issue does not have a definite resolution. I would not be reversing anything until further information is available. It is probably something to do with the legs at the cutoff but that is just my thought.
I have no drag lines on any of my mags after 750 rounds.

Even though I had no striker issues, I went with a steel striker because my gun fell in the possible problem range (mid Feb-April) and I am anal.

The P365 is my EDC.

I'll try and get a couple of pics up this weekend.

A fellow SIG Forum member, ( their name escapes me right now Red Face ) guided me onto the specific part number of Trijicon HDs that fit the 365, ( a 'Thank you' to them, once again! Smile )

On my mags, I've seen an ever so slight mark in the general area where others are seeing full on drag mark/scratches, etc. For the time being, unless something changes, I'm not concerned.

At this time, I'm not overly concerned about the primer marks, either. Hell, look at the mark that a Glock's striker typically makes.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
As of this last week, I've got 800 rounds fired from my 365.

This last range trip, I fired 80 rounds of 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, 270 rounds of 124gr FMJs and 50 rounds of 115gr FMJs. I did experience a couple of issues. First, I had a small number of failures to fully extract with just the 115gr FMJs, ( Federal ) and they looked like this on each occasion with a fired case partially extracted from the chamber:

These couple failures were the first of any kind I've experienced with my 365 to this point. They only happened while firing 115gr and never with 124gr, ( the vast bulk of what I've fired, ) or 147gr. I remember seeing at least one other member here who posted a similar picture of their 365 experiencing the same malfunction.

After I switched back to the 124gr FMJs, I experienced no further extraction/feed issues like this, though I did have one light strike with a round of 124gr FMJ a little later into the range session. This happened toward the end of my shooting session during strings of rapid fire. Personally, I think this was a little 'God smack' on me since right before this happened, I'd just got done talking with the range RSO and telling him how I've never had a striker or trigger issue with my 365. Red Face

Overall, my 365 performed well and my shooting was ok. Aside from wanting to get some more rounds fired, I wanted to see how the +P Speer Short Barrels grouped compared to the +P non-Short Barrels that I'd previously went with for EDC. This was my best group at 11 yards:

Today while cleaning, I decided to remove the striker assembly and see how everything looked, ( it was sorta filthy, ) and cleaned it up inside and out.

I'm still quite pleased with this outstanding little pistol and I continue to carry it daily at work, ( my current employer allows his employees to conceal carry at work so long as they have a valid WCL - I LOVE this! ) and often as a BUG outside of work.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used my MGW Sight Pro. I don't have a shoe for the 365

The part number is sp153.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info sir - I'm glad it has worked out (mostly) well for you. I just picked mine up today. LGS put a stock sticker over the born-on date but they said it was late-June (66A0662XX). I removed the sticker with the bound book log number and it pulled off the SIG sticker. I hope to shoot mine next weekend - but I certainly don't intend to push $200+ worth of ammo thru it to try to break something!! All of my other carry pieces have the 'standard' 100-200 rounds thru them. If they're good at that point, and every one of them has been, then I haven't tried to break anything on any of them by pushing up the round-count. And, I can't even afford to do that anyway!! Frown

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
I used my MGW Sight Pro. I don't have a shoe for the 365

The part number is sp153.

I've searched around, ( not very well apparently ) and have yet to actually see this part listed for sale. Not on Brownells, TGS, etc.

While I don't really need one now, whenever they do become readily available, I will buy one and add to my ever growing collection of shoes.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
I hope to shoot mine next weekend - but I certainly don't intend to push $200+ worth of ammo thru it to try to break something!! All of my other carry pieces have the 'standard' 100-200 rounds thru them. If they're good at that point, and every one of them has been, then I haven't tried to break anything on any of them by pushing up the round-count. And, I can't even afford to do that anyway!! Frown

It does appear that numerous 365 owners are running a lot of rounds, ( round counts that perhaps some of them wouldn't otherwise put through other pistols) to see if they can find a breaking point/induce a striker or trigger failure. I will say that I have fired more rounds through this pistol than I normally do for new guns. However, I'm not pushing my 365 to try and find a failure or breaking point. My intent is to simply get to know this pistol better, ( since it's an EDC gun for me ) and find the best carry load option, ( options in this case ).

Good luck with your new 365 and congratulations!

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:

I replaced my front xray sight for the trijicon hd orange in color, I removed the slide barrel etc and wrapped the slide in heavy leather to protect the finish put into a vice took a 1x1 block of hickory put it against the main part of the sight and gently tapped it out with a hammer.
it didnt take much to move it, I guess having a 500 lb welding table might have had something to do with it. just the opposite to reinstall the hd's, 5 minute project I also adjusted the back sight the same way.

I suppose the gunsmith way would be to use the sight tool. Wink

2600 hundred rounds of reloads and zero issues 7-1 build date, love this gun by far my favorite.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

It does appear that numerous 365 owners are running a lot of rounds, ( round counts that perhaps some of them wouldn't otherwise put through other pistols) to see if they can find a breaking point/induce a striker or trigger failure. I will say that I have fired more rounds through this pistol than I normally do for new guns. However, I'm not pushing my 365 to try and find a failure or breaking point.

I'm one of those that's putting a lot (relatively) of rounds through the pistol, but I didn't buy it to see if I could break it. Part of the purpose of experimenting is to see how reliable it is, but I'll do this with most pistols I get. I'm not really a collector in that I don't own a lot of pristine pistols, but if I'm interested in a pistol, then I'm going to shoot it.

If I intend to carry it, I'll shoot it more, and ensure it's reliable. In the case of the P365, given the plethora of first hand reports, there's additional reason to shoot the pistol for the sake of reliability. I'm not sure that it's about shooting it to failure or destruction, so much as putting in the time and round count to ensure that it won't break.

As for sights, not too long ago I was at a range and had a set of HD's to put on a P320. When I was done shooting, I took the pistol to the range gunsmith, whose door was open, and asked if he'd slap them on. He took about 20 minutes, beat the crap out of the old sights (a quality tritium set of suppressor sights), and damaged the new ones, pounding them with a hammer. I'd have thought he'd have used a pusher, and had I known he was going to do that, and didn't know what he was doing, I'd have never let him do the work. He overcharged for damaging the sights, too. (heads-up for anyone using Caswell's...)

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post