SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta PX4's and CZ Guns...current build quality/longevity?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta PX4's and CZ Guns...current build quality/longevity? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I'm considering looking for a TDA/Hammer fired pistol for my CCW rotation. I currently carry striker fired only, but I also see the value of a TDA pistol safety wise. My budget allows for a couple of options, one of which is CZ (either a P-01 or a PCR) the other is a Beretta PX4 Compact.

What's the current build quality, and is this a gun I can shoot the *(*!! out of over time? Or do the alloy frames get beat up over time.

The other gun I'm looking at is a PX4 Compact. If you have any info along the same lines please share.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with the CZ, but I've been EDCing a PX4 Compact for about a year, maybe a little longer. I really like it. I like the Glock 19 "concept", small and lightweight enough for relatively easy concealed carry, but large enough to shoot well with size-efficient capacity, but I also prefer a hammer-fired DA pistol, so the PX4 suited me well. I have modified mine quite a bit, but I wouldn't say any of the stuff I changed is necessary.

The single biggest downside to the PX4 is that the grip frame is quite slick (and polymer...I wasn't sure if you knew that based on your post). However, I fixed that with a set of Talon Grips that work very well for me. Some people have had the grip frame stippled for a better grip.

I like it so much that I want to get a second one, hopefully a Compact Carry as it already has most of the modifications I like.

I haven't had it that long, nor have I shot it as much as I would like, so I can't really say anything about long-term durability, but in the time I've had it and shot it it's never given me any issues.

And here's the obligatory picture, with holster...

Not a Compact, but here's a video that Ernest Langdon did covering a 50,000-round test he did on a full-size PX4.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thY1F6f92Xg

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got into CZs a few years ago. The 75 compact/PCR are great choices. Send it to CZ custom and for $170 they will give it a great trigger.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I had my PX4 Compact Carry stippled. With the LTT Trigger bag in a job, I think it’s the perfect EDC. Very easy to work on if you so chose.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you use the word "budget" and gun, the odds you will care about longevity simply doesn't seem meaningful. I can't think of any name brand (and Beretta and CZ qualify) gun you could wear out without ammo dwarfing the cost of the gun...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
PX4 holds its own. No issues with mine.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a PX4 compact and a P-01. The PX4 has been converted to a decocker only, and also has the slim slide stop lever. It is a great gun, very easy to carry, and I think I shoot it better than any of my other guns. I did add the talon grips as previously mentioned.

The P-01 is also a great gun, and actually fits my hand better than the PX4, but I think it is harder to carry and I personally don't shoot it as well.

Love them both, but the PX4 compact would definitely be my choice for carry.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Have both. The PX4 should be the more durable pistol as steel slide on steel rails trumps steel slide on alloy frame. Now that may be a moot point as both will be plenty durable for the vast majority of us.

I think the P01 was tested and had to exceed something like 30,000 rounds with a few thousand rounds of +P as well IIRC. So certainly not fragile.

CZ’s eat slide stops.
PX4s should be greased around the locking block and don’t do well with lots of foreign debris. The rotating system can lock up pretty tight. I have never experienced this but I am a suburban shooter who doesn’t make a habit of tossing his guns in sand boxes. But it’s something to be aware of.

I haven’t had a lick of problems with either a P01 or PX4. I would say the Beretta is a little easier to shoot well and has much better sights.

I have a full size PX4 but in terms of the compact the P01 is easier to concealand feels smaller to me. Now my P01 is wearing thin grips and a flush mag baseplate and that makes a difference in how small it feels.

Honestly I really can’t fault either one. I like them both. If I Personally could only have one I would probably pick the CZ for NO other reason then it has more “personality” if you will. Again I am a hobbiest not a gun fighter. So YMMV.

Point is both are good guns which in general seem to be universally liked by folks who actually own them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Been running PX4's for a year and a half with Robert Burke triggers. Solid platform. I primarily carry the subcompact due to the size, capacity, and quality. 13+1, with a reload of 17 rnds on the belt with OEM grip adapter for the subcompact. One of the top 3 CCW's I have ever used. Only issue with the pistols are the Bruniton finish. It wears on the internal side of the slide a little quicker than other finishes so I had CCR refinish mine.

I also love the full size for a target/range/HD pistol. I also have the compact PX4, but it's my least favorite.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got several thousand rounds through my PX4 Compact Carry. It's been reliable and is currently what I carry on a daily basis. There is a subjective difference in felt recoil between the PX4 with its rotating barrel and pistols with the more common Browning tilt barrel system. Up until late last year I was shooting and carrying the HK P30/P30SK. Great pistols, reliable as hell. But in my hands, the PX4's recoil tracks flatter with less upset in the sight picture between shots. Couple the PX4 with a drop in trigger job in a bag from Langdon Tactical....well, I haven't shot my HKs in a while.

If you decide on the PX4 Compact I would suggest you consider the Compact Carry model if you can make it happen. You can spend a lot on upgrades through Langdon Tactical, but the base model is available through standard distributors, which is how I got mine. The only change I made was to swap out the factory mainspring/hammer assembly for one tuned by LTT.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cant comment on the PX4. But take a serious look at at the CZ P-07. Mine have been excellent. Accurate, reliable and great size for carry.
New around $450. Used under $400.
And Cajun Gun Works can set up right for you too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another pro CZ P07 guy. I've had mine worked over by both Boresight Solutions and CGW. I have run my off-duty carry pistol through a couple of hard use classes with zero issues.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I’m also going to look at the HK P2000 - it was suggested by a friend here - we can still buy those here in the people’s republic...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am an HK P2000 Guy for a bunch of reasons that are probably stupid for most folks but suffice to say they are my go to in either 9mm or .40.

Durability and longevity shouldn’t be a concern unless you are running a .40 with that HOT ASS 155 grain federal load. I have run some and it’s got some ass behind it to be sure.

Trigger on the HK spectrum isn’t that bad especially as it breaks in. Not gonna be Beretta or CZ Good but not HORRIBLE either.

Finish is better then either.

Fit is probably better then either.

For me personally it carries better then either the P01 or PX4.

It’s handles recoil extremely well. It’s a pussycat in .40 but not as much as the PX4 in .40. In 9mm it’s a wash but the rotating bolt PX4 does start to shine with bigger / hotter calibers.

All in all I really don’t think you will be disappointed in any of them. They are all sort of red headed step children in the gun world, maybe less so the CZ but generally so but beyond that they are all fairly well loved by their owners. They all have their pros and cons. None really stands out as SUBSTANTIALLY better or worse then the others. It really will come down to what YOU like.

Of course that said your judgement is already in question as you must be some kind of Luddite, who doesn’t understand that you will never be able to shoot a DA/SA gun well and will be sooo slow on that first shot you will surely be dead from the eleven rounds pumped in you from the guy with the Glock. I mean COME ON MAN ITS A STRIKER FIRED WORLD!!! Roll Eyes Big Grin Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own the PX4 and PX4C w/LTT trigger and CZ P-09 w/ CGW trigger (Full size polymer similar to Glock 17. The P-07 is similar to the G19). I sold off a P2000 LEM because I have a slight preference for DA/SA over LEM.

All three are outstanding guns that are well built and reliable. All three benefit greatly from a trigger job, and I personally factor that into the price of purchase.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am an HK P2000 Guy for a bunch of reasons that are probably stupid for most folks but suffice to say they are my go to in either 9mm or .40.

Durability and longevity shouldn’t be a concern unless you are running a .40 with that HOT ASS 155 grain federal load. I have run some and it’s got some ass behind it to be sure.

Trigger on the HK spectrum isn’t that bad especially as it breaks in. Not gonna be Beretta or CZ Good but not HORRIBLE either.

Finish is better then either.

Fit is probably better then either.

For me personally it carries better then either the P01 or PX4.

It’s handles recoil extremely well. It’s a pussycat in .40 but not as much as the PX4 in .40. In 9mm it’s a wash but the rotating bolt PX4 does start to shine with bigger / hotter calibers.

All in all I really don’t think you will be disappointed in any of them. They are all sort of red headed step children in the gun world, maybe less so the CZ but generally so but beyond that they are all fairly well loved by their owners. They all have their pros and cons. None really stands out as SUBSTANTIALLY better or worse then the others. It really will come down to what YOU like.

Of course that said your judgement is already in question as you must be some kind of Luddite, who doesn’t understand that you will never be able to shoot a DA/SA gun well and will be sooo slow on that first shot you will surely be dead from the eleven rounds pumped in you from the guy with the Glock. I mean COME ON MAN ITS A STRIKER FIRED WORLD!!! Roll Eyes Big Grin Wink

This! I have all 3. Give me the P2000 LEM every time.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've got the Langdon px4 compact carry. Amazing little gun. Also love my hk P2000. Cz are good too but I sold my p07. It just felt too blocky. Shot great though. Any will serve you well.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I had a PX4 full size in 9mm and I didn't give it as much time as I should have. Traded it for a SP2022 because I was eager to have one. The PX4 seemed just as nice if not nicer than the CZs I've handled, and I was intrigued by the rotating barrel design.

Now this thread has me thinking I should give the PX4 another chance and give it more time. I'd want the "G" version again, though, which is what I had before.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
FYI converting an "F" to a "G" on these is easy and takes 2 minutes. You just remove a detent and spring.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm....good to know, 1K. I'll probably have to swap to a "G" as it seems the "F" version is everywhere.

I just walked down to my local gun store and they had a "F" version in stock. 9mm, full size, new. It had a VERY GOOD TRIGGER...way better than I remember mine having...but again, I didn't have it long.

I do need to find one of these again, if only to have a "workhorse" DA/SA pistol, and to give the rotating barrel system some more time. LGS was asking $500, but they're almost always high. Small town...love the town, though. Smile

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post