SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone else getting pinched by Gen 5 G19?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else getting pinched by Gen 5 G19? Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I got shoot a Gen 5 G19 quite a bit over the holiday weekend.

I did like the new trigger. It felt a lot crisper. I also liked the lack of finger grooves quite a bit more than I thought I would since the grooves have never bothered me.

Upon seeing pics of the cutout in the front of the frame, I thought it would bother my pinky while shooting. Surprisingly that didn't really bother me.

What did bother me was reloads at speed. The new mag well was nice, but not really a massive difference for me. Unfortunately, my pinky was getting pinched when I'd slam a fresh mag home. I eventually developed a blood blister and had to lift my pinky off the gun to avoid this pinch.

I haven't seen reports of this on the internet, so I was surprised. Anyone else? I'm not a fat guy and my fingers are rather skinny, so this was perplexing. Just curious if I'm alone on this?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see a gen 5 and no interest in it, but the cut out is not new for Glock, and I hate it. It's on my 34 and 35. Fortunately on my Gen 3, an agency arms minimalist magwell overs it nicely.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I got shoot a Gen 5 G19 quite a bit over the holiday weekend.

I did like the new trigger. It felt a lot crisper. I also liked the lack of finger grooves quite a bit more than I thought I would since the grooves have never bothered me.

Upon seeing pics of the cutout in the front of the frame, I thought it would bother my pinky while shooting. Surprisingly that didn't really bother me.

What did bother me was reloads at speed. The new mag well was nice, but not really a massive difference for me. Unfortunately, my pinky was getting pinched when I'd slam a fresh mag home. I eventually developed a blood blister and had to lift my pinky off the gun to avoid this pinch.

I haven't seen reports of this on the internet, so I was surprised. Anyone else? I'm not a fat guy and my fingers are rather skinny, so this was perplexing. Just curious if I'm alone on this?

I see where this could happen, this is also a major issue on any sub-compact. Just requires release of the pinky on mag insertion I guess.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Where on your pinky are you getting pinched? Are we talking near that half moon cutout on the front strap?

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Where on your pinky are you getting pinched? Are we talking near that half moon cutout on the front strap?

yep, that's exactly where it's occuring. I might be gripping it too tightly when I reload, but it's really annoying having to adjust my grip.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
I was concerned about that area and gettting pinched but I tried a bunch of fast slamming reloads and it didnt bite me. Wonder if you are gripping different or hand size is causing it.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of the problems of "new and improved". Fix one problem and create another. Before I get nitpicked, yeah I know the cutout was used on Gen2 pistols.

The pinch issue is one thing that kept me from buying a G30. I REALLY wanted one until I tried it at the LGS. Sure, your grip can be changed to accommodate. However, I don't want ONE defensive pistol that requires a different technique from all my others. IMO, bad practice.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is going to be a thing with the aftermarket Glock mods. Stippling along with epoxy filling the cutout.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Nope, I bought a Wilson EDC X9 instead (don't have it yet... hopefully by the end of the week).

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I wonder if this is going to be a thing with the aftermarket Glock mods. Stippling along with epoxy filling the cutout.

I would have to fill it in for sure...I hope someone offers that.

Beltfed, I'm waiting on mine too. I think mine will still be a few months out. I saw TGS had them in stock over the holiday weekend. They didn't last long though.

If I wasn't out of town, I would have driven over there for sure.

posted Hide Post
While we're on the topic. Anybody know why Glock decided to use a FRONT cutout for pulling a stuck mag out? I've seen custom Glock side cutouts that made more sense for that purpose, without the potential for pinching.

Also, the P320 uses two small side cutouts that appear as though they would do the job.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 1 and 2 Glocks (and even some early Gen 3 17s) had the front cutout that was used along with the rear opening in the grip to "pinch" the magazine front-to-rear to pull it out. Also remember that the original Glock non-full metal lined magazines were non-drop free. They were designed to stick in the magwell when loaded. This was obviously later changed to the current style. IIRC, these were requirements from the original Austrian military contract that led to the development of the Glock design.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
While we're on the topic. Anybody know why Glock decided to use a FRONT cutout for pulling a stuck mag out? I've seen custom Glock side cutouts that made more sense for that purpose, without the potential for pinching.

Also, the P320 uses two small side cutouts that appear as though they would do the job.

Guessing side cutouts would've interfered with their flared magwell, or rather negated it.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The cutout (G2 or G5) doesn't bother me, but I've got dem petite gurly hands and besides, I don't use my pinkie as part of my stronghand purchase on the grip anyways. It's 'flappin' in the wind', as they say. Even though it doesn't annoy me physically per se, on the gun the cutout's size does seem overly large for what its intended purpose is. Wouldn't have hurt if the edge had been eased a bit, but that's just Glock and their often lackluster attention to fussing over details. But with current production mags (both factory and aftermarket) stickiness in the magwell are rarely if ever a concern. If you've got 'em, simply get rid of (or retire) any of those ancient early non-lined mags and just get yourself new production product.

And if high "exit speed" for your empty mag is some sort of priority concern, just use the wrist flick whip technique as you're hitting the mag catch button. No guarantees that you'll be able to FIND your flying mags after all of the shooting is finished, but your mags will certainly leave the immediate vicinity in a BIG hurry.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
ES, I picked up a G19 Gen5 on Monday. I don't get bit during the reloads but I can see where it would happen with the new Gen 5 mags. The older mags don't have the lip on the base plate and perhaps wouldn't bite you??

All the various mags work fine in my 19. So does all variety of ammo 115 fmj thru 147 JHP's.

I'm really liking the gun, right at 200 rounds today. Does it do any better than my favorite gen 4, no, but the non finger groove front is something I do like a lot!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Handled one the other day, that cutout bugged the hell out of my pinky, I would not want to shoot it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Pearce makes a mag plate that fills in the cut out. They've been around since the gen 2. I had one left and it works great. I haven't had any issues with getting bit with the new mags.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
So is the cutout on the G5 actually larger than on the G2s?

I've seen the pics, but haven't seen a side by side yet.

And this may be just pissing into the wind, but with any luck they may change that cutout to not be so large, or maybe delete it altogether from future runs... maybe?

Wishful thinking most likely.

I *do* find myself wanting a Gen 5 G19... but I find myself wanting another PPQ more - and this is coming from a *long* time Glock fanboy... a title that is quickly fading as the current crop of polymer guns gets better and better (P10C, PPQ, 320, and the list goes on).

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cutout on the front strap is a non issue for me, no pinching in anyway while shooting or reloading. I seriously don't even know it is there, so I like it just the way it is. YMMV of coarse. My hand size is between normal and large. The main things about the Gen 5 G19 I like is, the sight picture is not disturbed after I press the trigger and the no finger grooves. I don't think the inherent accuracy is any better than later or currently produced Gen 4's, but the hand held practical accuracy is better because of the trigger and to a lesser degree the wider notch rear sight. I personally don't think the barrels are fit any tighter or closer than the current Gen 4's, I will check this later today. Also the rifling type or barrel crown, if its done right is a toss up. Twist rate does matter some though, depending on the bullet weights you are shooting.
Also no BTF issues at all through 300rds of good quality 124gr ball ammo. IMHO, as in the past you really need to have run 3000+ rds through your Glock 9 to know for sure if there are no BTF issues. I think *overall* they did fine with the Gen 5 pistols, but there is always room for improvement (I would like the trigger break weight to be about 1.5 lbs lighter) but I still like my CZ P-10c pistol more overall, because to date its been perfect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've put one on my to-buy list. I was able to handle one at the Marine PX this morning - it looked pretty good and I like the finish. The ambi slide release does nothing for me but I guess the FBI wanted it. I have seen one under glass at an LGS but they wanted $599 for it. The PX price, with three mags (they said), is $449 ... but right now I'm about $400 short of that in cash ... Frown

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post