SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 226 X5 vs. 226 X5 X5 Black and White
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 226 X5 vs. 226 X5 X5 Black and White Login/Join 
posted
I have a Sig 226X5 Black and White that I was lucky enough to obtain a few years ago and just put away in my safe. I have read that they are incredible shooters but I just wanted this one to have. Recently, I saw on the 1911 Addicts forum a person sold 226X5-X5 Black and White. The only difference that I could see is that this one had different grips and had a large X-Five written on the slide (mine has the wood grips). It sold for a pretty hefty amount and was only listed for one day.

I have been thinking about breaking down and selling mine to fund some other projects (although I am having a hard time deciding to let it go). I am not sure what the difference is between the X5-X5 vs. my X5 so I thought I would ask. This would help me determine how to price mine if I do sell.

Thanks for input!
BR

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I'm only aware of the Black and White coming with wood grips with a 'Mastershop' logo of some type (I think there were at least two different ones) carved into the checkered field, but then SIG usually doesn't stand pat when it comes to specifications. It wouldn't surprise me if there were other variants.

My only experience with the B&W was with one that came through our shop. It had the 'M' logo on its wood grips...and dropped its hammer when the safety was deactivated. Red Face

SIG NH repaired the gun and I ultimately sold it to one of our regular customers. A bit flashy for my normal matte black tastes, but great heft and balance. And it's an X-Five. But the thumb safety dropping the hammer...hard to forget that.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the one you saw on the 1911 forum was a 2nd gen gun. I think the differences between the gen 1 and gen 2 Black and White are aesthetic only.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
"and dropped its hammer when the safety was deactivated."

First I've heard of that with any SAO X-Gun. Live and learn…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I'm only aware of the Black and White coming with wood grips with a 'Mastershop' logo of some type (I think there were at least two different ones) carved into the checkered field, but then SIG usually doesn't stand pat when it comes to specifications. It wouldn't surprise me if there were other variants.

My only experience with the B&W was with one that came through our shop. It had the 'M' logo on its wood grips...and dropped its hammer when the safety was deactivated. Red Face

SIG NH repaired the gun and I ultimately sold it to one of our regular customers. A bit flashy for my normal matte black tastes, but great heft and balance. And it's an X-Five. But the thumb safety dropping the hammer...hard to forget that.

I haven't heard of that issue either. I haven't shot mine so I wouldn't know. I had seen some X5 versions with a big X-Five written on the slide (but not black and white). Mine is the cleaner version with the wood grips that have the M- logo. I am curious to know if there is any reason why that would be worth more than the one I have.

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Bill, like Cathy said, the one on the 1911 forum was the second gen ("Enhanced"). Enhanced X-guns almost always go for much more than their 1st gen counterparts.

They have X-FIVE, X-SIX, or X-SHORT rollmark on the left side of the slide, depending on barrel lengths. They have rails, and look flashier/ more aggressive.

The B&W guns are the nicest looking X-guns to my eyes.

The hammer dropping issue mentioned by soggy above I've read about in some Entry X-FIVEs, also.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Bill, like Cathy said, the one on the 1911 forum was the second gen ("Enhanced"). Enhanced X-guns almost always go for much more than their 1st gen counterparts.

They have X-FIVE, X-SIX, or X-SHORT rollmark on the left side of the slide, depending on barrel lengths. They have rails, and look flashier/ more aggressive.

The B&W guns are the nicest looking X-guns to my eyes.

The hammer dropping issue mentioned by soggy above I've read about in some Entry X-FIVEs, also.

Thanks Q. You always have the info I need. Hope you are doing well. I agree that the B/W are the best looking.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC Fan:
Sounds like the one you saw on the 1911 forum was a 2nd gen gun. I think the differences between the gen 1 and gen 2 Black and White are aesthetic only.

Cathy, you are correct. Based on the large XFive on the slide it would be second gen. I didn't know if there is any difference other than looks.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Enhanced B&Ws (SHORT, FIVE, and SIX), from sigsauer.de: http://sigsauer.de/mastershop-individual/

Gotta say, the B&W looks much better in 1st gen, imo. Cool
The Mastershop wood grips were replaced with the G10 Supermatch grips.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: "Gotta say, the B&W looks much better in 1st gen, imo."

Agree.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would the enhanced version be worth more? I think the gen. One looks better.

posted Hide Post
In the US I have not seen any consistent sales data that shows the newer ones have materially better prices. They are all now orphans. I have a bunch of L1's in the safe that I'm now scared to shoot and I look occasionally at what actual sales show.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRJACKET:
Why would the enhanced version be worth more? I think the gen. One looks better.

If I recall correctly, the BW Enhanced from 1911 addicts that sold was one of the very few BW Enhanced models making it here into the states - so that rarity factor in addition to the already going X5 premiums put that particular model over the top, I recall selling for $5500 or so if I'm correct.

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hk91308:
quote:
Originally posted by BRJACKET:

If I recall correctly, the BW Enhanced from 1911 addicts that sold was one of the very few BW Enhanced models making it here into the states - so that rarity factor in addition to the already going X5 premiums put that particular model over the top, I recall selling for $5500 or so if I'm correct.

Edit to add: here's the 1911addicts link to the one I think OP is referring to-

https://www.1911addicts.com/th...ll-mastershop.35234/

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yep, you will almost never see an Enhanced B&W, Blue Moon, or Scandic up for sale. And the Enhanced Allround doesn’t pop up that often, either.

Q