SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A "Longmire-ish" 1911...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A "Longmire-ish" 1911... Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I recently made a couple of changes to my trusty Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, purchased new a bit over a year ago and now with almost 2,000 rounds through.

First, I had a local gunsmith install a Harrison Custom long trigger. I prefer a long- or medium-length trigger on a 1911 to the short trigger the pistol came with. I'd actually had a long Wilson Combat three-hole trigger installed at one point. I wanted to return the gun to more of a traditional look with a solid, dark-colored trigger.

Also angling for tradition and paying a certain homage to one of my favorite fictional characters of print and small-screen, Sheriff Walt Longmire, I ordered a set of stag grips from Lone Star Custom Grips. Granted, television's Walt has stags on his Colt; I'm not sure that the novels specify. Regardless, since watching the show I've come around to the looks of such grips on 1911s.

It's off to the range soon to get a feel for the trigger and the grips both. This 1911 just might see use at an upcoming local Single Stack Classic match.

Longmire campaign sticker is from the website of the series author, Craig Johnson. Holster just barely in view is a Bianchi Askins Avenger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sunkist
posted Hide Post
There's just something special about the original. Nice post.

"In The Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King."

Posts: 161 | Location: North Central Minnesota | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A very nice 1911!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the show and what you have done to your 1911.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
Robert Taylor who plays Sheriff Longmire will be the Grand Marshal for our local 4th of July parade.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!

And that's pretty cool about Robert Taylor and the parade!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Makes me want to look into Stag grips for one of mine.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
The parade is in Cody, yes?

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That looks great. You did well with the changes. I miss "Longmire". Wish they hadn't taken it off cable.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Then Longmire Days in Buffalo, Wyoming is later that week.

PC

quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:
The parade is in Cody, yes?

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My WWII warhorse wears a set of faux ivories that I've been wanting to slightly upgrade. I think that looks great. Guess I'm on the hunt for a set of stag panels.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Looks great to me!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Really nice. Best wishes for the upcoming match.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Meant to add that I found Lone Star Custom Grips on, of all places, EtsyDOTcom. Was looking for a piece of jewelry for one of our daughters a while back and thought I'd see what, if any, gun-stuff might be out there - I was pleasantly surprised.

Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I love it. Been thinking about some stag grips for my Colt for the very same reason.

I like the long solid trigger. Even though it isn't the original A1 look, it feels better when you have long fingers.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to replicate movie/TV guns as well. Most of mine are western, Matt Dillon, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Paladin. I do have a Longmire Colt with stags and a Jesse Stone with Gunsite grips. The cowboy ones have the appropriate holsters .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post