SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The .40 caliber now out of favor. Well who could have guessed?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The .40 caliber now out of favor. Well who could have guessed? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
.45GAP

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) I don’t own one, as I can’t find brass, reliably, but a 9x23 Win, seems like the best option. In bulk, it would use, almost, as little brass and lead as 9MM.

B) I do carry a double stack 38 super - I realize that it’s an expensive option though - but cheap to shoot, if you’re good about picking up your brass.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I got introduced to private firearm ownership during the AWB era if the late 90's. I carried a Beretta M9 with 15 rounds of 9mm in the Military, but being restricted to 10 rounds out of uniform I chose the. 40sw.
Now that those times are a distant memory, I have gone back to a larger capacity 9mm. I still have my .40 guns as ammo diversity is beneficial during times of 'panic ', but the 9mm is definitely getting the most use for me.
Personal choice, but those are my reasons for ever getting into the 40, and why I'll never fully abandon it.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Most of my pistols are 9 or 45.
Also have several 9x18 Makarovs in the armanentarium.
Had and sold .38, .357 Magnum, .357 Sig and 40.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jerry, well said. I was a firm believer in more is better for self defense calibers. My agency issued 357 Sigs for twelve years and I really liked the caliber, until I witnessed two shootings. The first one the suspect was shot in the shoulder and the 125 grain gold dot traveled down is arm and stayed in his tricep. The fight didn't end there and a taser finally brought him down. The second one the suspect continued firing his guns after taking several 125 Rangers and was finally brought down by a rifle. I know others will have stories where people were shot once with a 357 Sig at 100yds and the perp was blown sideways but, I witnessed the two above incidents. Like Jerry said, pistols suck.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
The .40 caliber now out of favor.

I am always amused when the newest darling/fad caliber comes out

The one constant in all this fad caliber foolishness, is that after it has run it's course, we always come back to either 9mm or 45ACP or both.

I'll let others spend their money on fad calibers and then take a beating selling them when the caliber goes out of favor.

I will now put on my flame retardant coveralls, so feel free to flame away.

My OP was of what I have noticed over the years, not a caliber war argument.

Well I started a caliber war,that was so not my intention! Caliber wars are silly.

Bullcrap. Your words above state the exact opposite. You've been around long enough to know this would be the start of a caliber war, as it happens seemingly every few weeks.
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You know now that I think of it I really am only a proponent of 2 calibers myself.

RIMFIRE AND CENTERFIRE. THE HELL WITH THE REST!!

The crown jewel of this thread.

Now back to our regularly scheduled trollfest.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jljones:
A few interesting side notes to this recent "fad".

+1,000

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't get any of it. Unless you're buying factory ammo and suddenly can't find any, how does "popular" factor into anything you do? Unless you're some sort of buffy, why do you care what the police are using, how does that effect you even slightly?

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a couple of 40's around and am toying with a Xchange 40 kit for my 320 because I have a large supply of high end SD ammo. Hate to have great ammo and no slingshot.

I like them all. I really want to play with 327 and 357 Sig at some point.

Calibers wars are for the small minded.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.40 caliber has not fallen out of favor with me.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I had to respond to this. If you look at why 9mm came back vs .40, the possibility of what is quote below actually happening is exactly zero. 9mm came back because it was cheaper than .40, and had the perception of being easier to shoot. For recreational shooting, where stopping power is irrelevant, but the shooter wants to shoot centerfire vs .22 rimfire, this makes perfect sense. For budget constrained LE organizations, given the fact that 9mm has been given a vast amount of ammo development to become a acceptable defensive round, it sort of makes sense.

But 10mm being much more expensive and having significantly more recoil than 9mm, and who's primary increased terminal ballistic characteristic over .40 is overpenetration, really isn't going anywhere more than it is now. Some people love it just because it's more powerful than the other LE rounds, but it's now been around for decades, had a brief run in LE circles, and largely went away. On the civilian side, it is a better hunting round than most auto rounds, but there are vastly better revolver round for hunting. And does 10mm have any foothold in the practical shooting competition world?

.40 is not as popular as it once was, but .40 guns are out there in vastly higher numbers than 10mm, both in the used market and as new builds. And there are still a large number LE agencies using it. I can't see any scenario where 10mm became more popular than .40.

quote:
Originally posted by tgmr05:
The 40 had roughly a 20 year run. The 10mm may actually surpass it in popularity/use, at some point, which is interesting, considering the origins of the 40.

<snip>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
fritz, I will take the blame. Sadly, my OP in particular did a very poor job of conveying my thoughts, and a good job of leading to a caliber war. So because you could not read my mind but only my words, you were quite right to call bull crap. You were also quite right on the crown jewel of this thread.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started out with the 1911A1 45ACP in 1964 and if memory serves me correctly acquired a Browning HP 9x19mm in or about 1970. With that said I never bothered with the 40S&W. With the 40S&W falling out of favor, apparently I didn't miss anything.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Accckkk.
Now I want a .41 Magnum and have no justification for the purchase
Ac:ck.

Smith and Wesson Model 58. Because- awesome

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well, yes.
But the Model 57 is in current production and has target sights. *sigh*

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ok, you win. A 4 inch 57 it is.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Accckkk.
Now I want a .41 Magnum and have no justification for the purchase
Ac:ck.

Desert Eagle. If you don't have one already...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I don't get any of it. Unless you're buying factory ammo and suddenly can't find any, how does "popular" factor into anything you do? Unless you're some sort of buffy, why do you care what the police are using, how does that effect you even slightly?

Come the Zombie Apocalypse, you want to be able to scavenge ammo.

Good luck finding 400 Corbon.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Come the Zombie Apocalypse, you want to be able to scavenge ammo.

Good luck finding 400 Corbon.

Got enough 440 Corbon for the zombie apocalypse (whatever that is) and a few extras for their attack moose.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Shoot whatever you choose with as much proficiency as possible and it will either do the job and be glorified, or fail to provide a one shot stop and be vilified. It really is that simple. People are not predictable in how they will respond to being shot. Some will drop because “that’s what they’re supposed to do, right?”, and some will fight until they’ve used every last drop of blood they need to stay conscious. Caliber wars are silly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post