SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The .40 caliber now out of favor. Well who could have guessed?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The .40 caliber now out of favor. Well who could have guessed? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:

Unless you shoot the .40 better. Like I said, I have a p226 in both 9 and 40 and shoot the .40 SIGNIFICANTLY better. Is it better to have 16 rounds of 9mm and miss the target or have less than perfect shot placement, or to have 13 rounds of .40 and hit your target where you want to? How long the caliber has been around is irrelevant.

I'd be willing to bet a shiny nickle, assuming both guns are in good mechanical condition and have the same sights, that if you do timed drills for a bit and get used to the 9mm you'll end up shooting it better in any meaningful measure.

I initially shot the .40 "better" because I shot it slower. For pure accuracy work with zero time pressure, I still group the best with a P220. However once I spent some time with the 9mm, got used to the softer recoil pulse and learned what my split times should look like at various distances there are no drills, other than pure accuracy, that I don't shoot better with the 9mm.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Now I would bet a shiny dollar that in a real world likely incident that being fairly proficient in any firearm and having it available will be more then enough.

9mm is by far the most efficient martial caliber, especially with modern loadings. That being said even though a proficient shooter of equal skill will likely run a 9mm faster will they run it faster to matter? My point isn’t to say .40 is better, my point is if you are skilled with it, even if you are a fraction slower with it, doesn’t make it completely useless.

Real world being trained and skilled with your platform of choice and having the mindset to employ it goes far beyond caliber (which kinda falls in the statistical noise)

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
quote:

Unless you shoot the .40 better. Like I said, I have a p226 in both 9 and 40 and shoot the .40 SIGNIFICANTLY better. Is it better to have 16 rounds of 9mm and miss the target or have less than perfect shot placement, or to have 13 rounds of .40 and hit your target where you want to? How long the caliber has been around is irrelevant.

I'd be willing to bet a shiny nickle, assuming both guns are in good mechanical condition and have the same sights, that if you do timed drills for a bit and get used to the 9mm you'll end up shooting it better in any meaningful measure.

I initially shot the .40 "better" because I shot it slower. For pure accuracy work with zero time pressure, I still group the best with a P220. However once I spent some time with the 9mm, got used to the softer recoil pulse and learned what my split times should look like at various distances there are no drills, other than pure accuracy, that I don't shoot better with the 9mm.

The guns are set up similar as far as the feel of the trigger. The 9mm has a short reset trigger and Hogue g10 grips. The .40 is bone stock. I know it is hard for some to believe, and trust me, it's not a training thing..... The .40 just shoots better for me.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have a poll running about LE side arm calibers. It seems like 9mm and .40 are just about even.

quote:
I wouldnt say that 9mm dominates Law Enforcement. Locally, out of dozens of agencies, only two dont issue .40s (one is a 9 and the other .45).

Here is a link to an interesting article by Mas Ayoob about State police agencies.

https://www.backwoodshome.com/...your-troopers-carry/

Disclaimer 1: I still love 9mm
Disclaimer 2: Law Enforcement does not always issue the newest, best equipment.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
quote:

The guns are set up similar as far as the feel of the trigger. The 9mm has a short reset trigger and Hogue g10 grips. The .40 is bone stock. I know it is hard for some to believe, and trust me, it's not a training thing..... The .40 just shoots better for me.

So, give us some numbers to define "better". What are your total time on a bill drill with each? What are your splits on each? Transitions? What are your splits at 25 yards with each?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post