SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The .40 caliber now out of favor. Well who could have guessed?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The .40 caliber now out of favor. Well who could have guessed? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Good luck finding 400 Corbon.

I'm a "one of each" (at least) guy. You bring me a bullet, I can probably shoot it. Big Grin

I don't have a 400 Cor-ban, but if I put a moon clip on it I can make it go boom. Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that trends in the firearm world have to do more with what writers, bloggers, YouTubers, and manufacturers push. Everyone is pushing 9mm now, but .357 Sig could get some love and everyone would be all over it. Caliber wars are dumb, especially for SD. Shoot 'em in the head. If you aren't able to make that shot, shoot 'em center mass a whole bunch of times. Caliber is irrelevant (writhin reason).

I happen to shoot my .40 P226 better than anything else, so it's a good choice for carry based on that alone.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
I think that trends in the firearm world have to do more with what writers, bloggers, YouTubers, and manufacturers push. Everyone is pushing 9mm now, but .357 Sig could get some love and everyone would be all over it.
Umm, no, and the dominance of the most popular pistol cartridge in the world is not the result of a "caliber war", and it's certainly not a trend.
The 9x19mm cartridge is 116 years old. The .40 S&W is less than 30 years old. There are very good reasons why the 9mm Parabellum has lasted so very long.
Early 9x19mm hollowpoints were inefficient, frequently failing to expand at all, but now we have hollowpoint ammunition which expands reliably. The 9mm is easier to shoot than the .40, is easier on pistols than the .40 and has greater capacity than the .40 when compared in the same platform. When using modern hollowpoint ammunition, the .40 S&W has nothing on the 9x19mm.

The efficient little nine has earned its reputation as the king of service pistol cartridges. Right now, there's nothing around that can topple it from its throne.

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
As much as I love 357SIG and hate .40 (I own my old duty gen3 22 and the gen3 23/27 I bought as backups and they sit in the safe as I own no .40 ammo) there is a reason I have way more 9mm handguns than any other caliber and I don’t feel underarmed when carrying the 9mm.

Out of my last six guns purchased in the past few months, five are 9mm and one was a .40 which I immediately sold the barrel and replaced it with 357.

My department is surrounded by five communities. The .40 is still being carried by three departments next to me and the other two are .40/.45 (officer choice) and we are still 357SIG.

Most agencies up here in northern Ohio are 9mm/40.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
When using modern hollowpoint ammunition, the .40 S&W has nothing on the 9x19mm.

Man I gotta tell you HST is some incredible do it all ammo in any caliber. It’s really amazing.

Efficiency is the perfect word for 9mm. I am happy to run any caliber but 9x19 is absolutely the most efficient martial caliber and with something like HST or other bonded HP it’s come a long way from ole’ Georg’s Luger.

I still think being versed in any caliber and the fundamentals of shooting pays a lot of dividends and being able to run whatever is a nice skill to have.

I still stand with the pistols suck group and whatever you choose “keep squeezing till they stop wheezing”.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The 9mm is easier to shoot than the .40, is easier on pistols than the .40 and has greater capacity than the .40 when compared in the same platform. When using modern hollowpoint ammunition, the .40 S&W has nothing on the 9x19mm.

The efficient little nine has earned its reputation as the king of service pistol cartridges. Right now, there's nothing around that can topple it from its throne.

Unless you shoot the .40 better. Like I said, I have a p226 in both 9 and 40 and shoot the .40 SIGNIFICANTLY better. Is it better to have 16 rounds of 9mm and miss the target or have less than perfect shot placement, or to have 13 rounds of .40 and hit your target where you want to? How long the caliber has been around is irrelevant.

I have dozens of 9mm pistols, and shoot some of them really well. Off duty, I typically carry a 9mm.... I think that preference is everything and that there is nothing that makes any of the common SD rounds (9mm, .40, .357sig, 10mm, .45acp) inherently better.

Power is good, size is good, but shot placement is better. And even at that, I saw a guy last fall take two rounds of .223 to the face and survive. I also saw a guy last spring take a 10mm to the lower back and drop dead at the scene. A ton of people are killed with .22lr and .380.

I typically avoid debating caliber selection and carry the guns I shoot best. Thats all Im saying.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
For me, so long as there is no significant difference in performance, I like what is cheap and readily available. That generally means 9mm.

I have or have had .380ACP, .357MAG, 9mm, .40SW, .357SIG, and .45ACP. I can’t really say I shot any particular caliber better or worse than the others.

Restrictions for me include cash and space. About a year ago I made the conscious decision to “downsize” my caliber collection to 9mm and .45ACP (and of course .22LR). I’d rather keep 2000 rounds or so of each on hand instead of 1000 rounds in each 4 or 5 calibers.

As of this year with two exceptions, a P229ST in .40SW and a SW 640-Pro in .357MAG, everything else is 9mm or .45ACP. I have a 9mm conversion barrel for the P229 and will probably end up selling the 640 since replacing my wife’s SP101 .357 with an SP101 in 9mm means I can jettison one more caliber.

I have gun ADD and get “bored” with one after a while and want to change things up. For a long while I had a plethora of Glocks in a variety of calibers. 19, 33, 23, 31, 21, 30, 34. After 20+ years with at least one Glock, I sold off my last one a few months back and am now fully on the P320 bandwagon in 9mm and .45ACP Compact.

Most guns are avail in 9mm, many times before the same gun is avail in a different caliber. Selling used, my experience is that 9mm sells faster than .40SW or .357SIG. Looking at the price of new .40s these days, I imagine folks trying to sell one I used are taking a beating.

I do believe that the ability to use “scavenged” ammo has some benefit. For that reason I like the idea of having the option of barrel swapping even if I don’t have an ammo supply of a given caliber. My P229ST will let me shoot .40, and I expect at some point I will pick up a .357SIG barrel for it to be a 3-caliber gun. I will likely get a .357SIG X-Change kit for the P320’s. Heck, I might even keep the 640 around for the ability to use .38/.357 should it fall in to my lap.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a 9mm. My dad was a .357mag and .45acp 1911 guy, who shot .38s through a Python in competitions during the 80s. My first off duty pistol was a 1911, till I discovered the P220. Then the .357sig came to my attention. A few years ago, I finally bought a P229 in .357sig, and I don't think I will ever carry anything other than that, except for maybe my Desert Eagle in .357mag with 158gr Hornady xtps if hiking the in the hills. Between those three pistols and the G22 .40S&W at work, I don't see any difference in my ability to put rounds on target. Yes, 9mm or .40 would make my goal of shooting 200rnds a week a less expensive endeavor(especially since the new tax law takes away that deduction starting 2018), but I just love shooting .357sig. The highlight of my day is when I'm walking out to my truck and a gopher peaks out of the ground, or a rat runs out of a burn pile, after we light it, and I pop 'em with my .357sig. One time I missed a gopher, barely grazed him, removed some hair and skin, he wasn't even bleeding, and he still died. Not that, that matters in choosing a carry round, it's just fun.

Posts: 25 | Registered: March 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:....I have never owned a handgun that wasn't either 9mm or 45ACP and I doubt I ever will.

I share your opinion, but.....I love my S&W 66 snub! And everyone should own at least one .22

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
Unless you shoot the .40 better. Like I said, I have a p226 in both 9 and 40 and shoot the .40 SIGNIFICANTLY better.
OK, you shoot better with more felt recoil. Got it. That's not at all unusual, doesn't defy the laws of physics at all. If you say so.
quote:
I typically avoid debating caliber selection and carry the guns I shoot best. Thats all Im saying.
Well, that's good, because there is no debate that the 9x19mm dominates the service pistol market, and there's no debate that .40 S&W loses more of that market share each and every day.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
As long as USPSA has power factors and as long as .40 or bigger is required to make PF in the iron sight divisions... I will continue to shoot 40, both in limited and single stack.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, games? Well, sure, the .40 S&W can dominate in the world of pretend. Sure, no harm in that, is there?

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, games? Well, sure, the .40 S&W can dominate in the world of pretend. Sure, no harm in that, is there?

No harm for me. I'd shoot 9 if not for the reasons stated above.. but i'm not going to punt easy points because 40 isn't cool any more.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have trained enough novices with the 9mm and the .40 to have seen that some folks have a much harder time shooting the .40 accurately due to felt recoil and report. Objectively I have had several students who could not qualify with a .40 cal Glock but hand them a 9mm Glock and they qualified. This was a key factor in the FBI's switch back to 9mm.

In terms of effectiveness, with modern self defense/service ammo, .38 spl, .40 cal, .357 Sig, 9mm, 45ACP, and 10 mm will all get the job done. It's not the arrow, it's the archer.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Ok, you win. A 4 inch 57 it is.

The only one I see on their webpage is 6".
But, you, know, probably Internet inches.

My VISA card is starting to smolder in my wallet like The Lost Ark in the "Raiders of " wooden crate.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
All of my centerfire handguns are 9mm. Except for one 380 pocket gun just for ease of carry.

I suppose if I seriously got back into USPSA I would be forced to either suck it up and shoot production or suck it up and buy a 40.

The gap in terminal performance between auto handgun cartridges is so narrow, it only makes sense to gain the capacity and modest recoil of the 9mm. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Another reason .40 was popular, for non Law Enforcement, was the 10 round magazine restriction during the Clinton ban. If you've only got 10 rounds might as well have .40.

This was huge factor IMO. I know it was for me. I used to have a bunch of .40's. I had a 4006TSW, G23, G27, P229 x2 in 40. XD40, M&P40, etc... Today, the only one that remains in my safe is a P229 I bought brand new in 1995.

I'm in the used gun business. And I can tell you, .40S&W is dead. We don't buy them because we can't sell them. If we do buy them, people are literally giving them away. They will accept $200 for Gen4 G23 like new. It will sit in the case at $399 and will sell at $349, maybe. New and used, 9mm handguns outsell .40 15 to 1.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm in the used gun business. And I can tell you, .40S&W is dead. We don't buy them because we can't sell them. If we do buy them, people are literally giving them away. They will accept $200 for Gen4 G23 like new. It will sit in the case at $399 and will sell at $349, maybe. New and used, 9mm handguns outsell .40 15 to 1.

God, I hope so. I want a 229 SAS in .40 to compliment the 229R I have now. Got plenty of mags, got plenty of ammo and shoot it well. I hope I can find one cheap while the unpopularity lasts.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt say that 9mm dominates Law Enforcement. Locally, out of dozens of agencies, only two dont issue .40s (one is a 9 and the other .45).

Here is a link to an interesting article by Mas Ayoob about State police agencies.

https://www.backwoodshome.com/...your-troopers-carry/

Disclaimer 1: I still love 9mm
Disclaimer 2: Law Enforcement does not always issue the newest, best equipment.