SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kydex Mag Carrier?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kydex Mag Carrier? Login/Join 
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
I had Dustin at Ozarks Holster Co. (forum member) make me a double mag holder for my P320 45 mags. I had to sent him my mags to use as a pattern, so maybe he's able to make them now without sending your mags. He's good people and his products are outstanding.
https://ozarksholstercompany.com

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blindref:
I had Dustin at Ozarks Holster Co. (forum member) make me a double mag holder for my P320 45 mags. I had to sent him my mags to use as a pattern, so maybe he's able to make them now without sending your mags. He's good people and his products are outstanding.
https://ozarksholstercompany.com

Could you perhaps post a photo?

Disregard. I contacted Dustin. He apparently uses the actual mags for making his carriers, which, having returned yours and not having enough demand to acquire his own, he no longer has.

This is turning into another of those "If I had the time and money to burn, I'd do my own" kind of a things Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm giving up, for now.

Given that we now know the P320 .45 ACP mags are bigger than the 9/40/357 mags, I can't trust that any of the mag carriers I found for a "P320 FS", that I liked, will work.

Found a Kydex bender that, if I gave him the dimensions, said he could make forms out of wood, but, I know, from personal experience, that a very slight change in any dimension can make a Kydex mag carrier worthless.

I've got a Blade-Teck Classic dual mag carrier for my G34. Way too bulky. I looked at Blackhawk double mag carriers at an LGS, yesterday. Likewise.

I'll see if the guy who made me the single carrier for my PPS M2 can make me a single and call it a day, for now. If he can't, well... *shrug*

It never occurred to me I'd encounter this particular problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm giving up, for now.

Given that we now know the P320 .45 ACP mags are bigger than the 9/40/357 mags, I can't trust that any of the mag carriers I found for a "P320 FS", that I liked, will work.
Is there something about the 320, that I'm unaware of, that prevents the mags for the full-size pistol also being used in a mag carrier for the compact mags?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Is there something about the 320, that I'm unaware of, that prevents the mags for the full-size pistol also being used in a mag carrier for the compact mags?

Compact mags are slightly shorter, but, otherwise: I imagine not.

The problem isn't full size vs. carry vs. compact, but .45 ACP vs. 9mm/.40 S&W/.357 Sig: The magazine dimensions are slightly different between the former and the latter. With few exceptions all I've seen on product choosers is "full size" (and the other sizes), w/o separate choices for .45 ACP.

I suspect some (many?) gun leather/Kydex/what-have-you makers may not be aware of this.

posted Hide Post
I know you probably don't need another hobby, but it doesn't take a lot of equipment to get started making your own Kydex and the learning curve is steep.

I got my wife to agree to attend a 2 day defensive HG class and there weren't any good holster and certainly not speedloader pouch options for her 7 shot S&W 386NG. So, that was what pushed me into it. My learning curve was a crappy little knife sheath, followed by a passable larger sheath, then I dove into the holster and pouches.

Once you are set up for it, it is quite liberating to know you can just make what you need. Double and single mag pouches are real easy, belt holsters are straight forward as well. The most satisfying was when I saw a forend mounted 2 shell shotgun carrier on the Magpul Dynamic Shotgun DVD and decided to make one. It only took an enjoyable hour and maybe $2 in spare scrap materials.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Following-up to myself...

quote:
I'll see if the guy who made me the single carrier for my PPS M2 can make me a single and call it a day, for now.

He can and will.

When I told him about the .45 ACP mags being bigger, he told me "order a carrier and I'll get one." So I ordered a carrier.

Problem solved for the nonce.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I told him about the .45 ACP mags being bigger, he told me "order a carrier and I'll get one." So I ordered a carrier.

I don't know if you are wedded to kydex, or just don't want leather, but Safariland offers nice carriers in a material that is in between, and very compact. With the adjustment screw in the middle, each size can be adapted to a variety of magazines. I really like their Model 079 open top double mag carrier. For your application, the "Group 3" size seems right, fitting HK45, XD45, and Glock 21, just by adjusting the screw in or out. I have used the "Group 5" size for a variety of single stack magazines, including 1911's, and SIG, from the P220 to the P938.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I don't know if you are wedded to kydex, or just don't want leather, but ... 

Not wedded to Kydex, but, have this "Sheldonesque" thing with things "matching." Holster's Kydex, so the mag carrier(s) should be, too. It's just the way I'm wired.

Heck, I'm probably going to talk myself into a new synthetic belt of some kind, for the same reason. (I have one, but, it's way too thick and stiff.)

At this point I'll likely wait and see what Pitbull Tactical comes up with in a month or so. Until then: I've got a single mag carrier in the works.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, everybody!

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Safariland 079.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Following-up to myself...

quote:
I'll see if the guy who made me the single carrier for my PPS M2 can make me a single and call it a day, for now.

He can and will.

Or not. Now he tells me "Oops! Can't get the molds, after all." *sigh * If he'd told me that a week ago, I could have had my my spare mag sniped to him. Now a couple more weeks have gone by and still no mag carrier. Grrr...