SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kydex Mag Carrier?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kydex Mag Carrier? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Got the holster for my P320 FS .45 ACP. Now I'm thinking I want a Kydex double mag carrier.

I like Kydex solutions that have only as much material as is needed, and no more. I don't know what the deal is, with some makers, but, they appear to think extra material, punctuated with lots of rivets, is somehow desirable. I think such designs are... visually unappealing, and probably less comfortable than more minimalist designs.

Lytton Custom Holsters has the idea:

Except I'm not sold on the one mag having that forward cant.

NSR Tactical comes close enough:

But eight weeks lead time... Hmmm...

Here's an example of the kind of thing I don't want (maker name omitted to protect the innocent):

It looks well-made, but, too much excess (IMO) material. In this case: Mostly on the bottom.

Another point: The Lytton and NSR carriers are well-curved. The unidentified product not so much. Since I plan to wear this with the leading edge at or forward of 3 o'clock, the curve is necessary.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Bravo Concealment , they have the double mag carrier, and also have the option for the P320 .45 ACP mag.

If you get the slant cut it of comes to 42.99, use the code "gunfighter" for antoher 10% off, comes to 38.69 shipped, and it's part of their quick ship option so should take just about a week.

https://www.bravoconcealment.c...h?variant=5117626817

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked for something similar but could never find one that suited me. I ended up with two of these instead. It has a pretty small footprint and very little extra material.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/SPMP3.html

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all those look huge to me. I use the bladetech ones which are way smaller.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
all those look huge to me. I use the bladetech ones which are way smaller.

Which Blade-Tech ones? They have four: Signature Series, Eclipse Style, Classic, and Revolution Series.

The only line that appears to offer a model- and caliber-specific product for my pistol is the Classic, and it's hard to tell what I'd be getting, because they show three different things on the Classic double mag pouch page.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the classic ones. You have to pick your attachment type.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For actual carry, you can't beat singles with the Tek-lok attachment. Just pop 'em on your belt, 2x are less space than a double carrier.

For range and classes, I use a double carrier. I like the look of the first one, but don't understand the forward cant, seems like the wrong way to cant a mag, making the draw even harder. Guess it would help with concealment...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the products from LAG...
Here's the double mag
http://www.lagtactical.com/double-pistol-mag-carrier/

I've got a few pistol/rifle combo's for range and plainclothes work - they are starting in the carbon fiber minimalist stuff too. At least worth a look..

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've converted over to Dustin's (Ozarks Holster Co) hybrid mag carriers for concealed carry as they are comfortable and discreet. Link

My OWB kydex competition mag carriers are 10 years old and aren't in business any more.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This one looks good in pictures. https://www.cooksholsters.com/...bi-magazine-carrier/ I don't have one of these, but a holster I got from them is top notch.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I carry a single spare mag in a CompTac mag carrier but when I carry two I just add a second single mag carrier. It is easier to carry two singles as you have more flexibility where they can go on your belt. Belt loops sometimes get in the way of a double.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
you can't beat singles with the Tek-lok attachment. Just pop 'em on your belt, ..

I am Tek Lok challenged. My friendly local Kydex bender furnished a Tek Lok holster without being asked, and the darned thing is just a hassle to get on and off. The little flip over center latch is the hard part.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I agree about the extra material.

When I carry my Ruger LCP2, I like to carry 2 extra magazines, and since they are small, you would think a dual mag carrier for them would be small, but all I searched for, like you stated , seemed twice the size needed.

I finally found a fabric/nylon small dual mag carrier for the LCP today, its small, only thing I didn't like was the base of the mags are exposed, I prefer the top being completely covered, to protect from rain, dust, trash.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ozarks Holster Co.
Picture of dosborn81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Here's an example of the kind of thing I don't want (maker name omitted to protect the innocent):

It looks well-made, but, too much excess (IMO) material. In this case: Mostly on the bottom.

Another point: The Lytton and NSR carriers are well-curved. The unidentified product not so much. Since I plan to wear this with the leading edge at or forward of 3 o'clock, the curve is necessary.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

This company needs to update their photos, as that is a very poor representation of their doubles.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Posts: 9147 | Location: Nixa, MO | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kytex Mag Carriers. Very minimal in size and priced right.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Re: Two singles as opposed to a single dual: Good thought. Maybe I will go that way.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
This one looks good in pictures. https://www.cooksholsters.com/...bi-magazine-carrier/

It's an interesting concept--I'll concede that. Looking at their selection list, and noting they're ambidextrous carriers: They're doing what many others are: "One size fits all" solutions. I'd prefer something made specifically for my mags.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Kytex Mag Carriers. Very minimal in size and priced right.

Similar in design to PJ Holster's Pistol Magazine Carriers

I have a PJ Holster IWB holster for my PPS M2 and a horizontal mag carrier for its spare mag. He does nice work. He also makes a dual mag cover plate.

Hmmm...

Thanks for the feedback and ideas, everybody!

posted Hide Post
I don't use a double mag carrier but I have a single from Henry Holsters here in Indiana and he offers a double that's got a pretty small footprint.

http://www.henryholsters.com/p...-double-mag-carrier/

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with Hume, Bianchi, and Galco leather holsters. The polymer ones are just too big and uncomfortable.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
I carry a single spare mag in a CompTac mag carrier but when I carry two I just add a second single mag carrier. It is easier to carry two singles as you have more flexibility where they can go on your belt. Belt loops sometimes get in the way of a double.

I understand what you're saying, but, the counter-argument is that double mag carriers are more stable.

Decisions, decisions...

quote:
Originally posted by derrickgoins:
I don't use a double mag carrier but I have a single from Henry Holsters here in Indiana and he offers a double that's got a pretty small footprint.

That does look like a pretty small footprint, but, very limited selection: Glock, M&P and VP 9/40 only.

quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I'll stick with Hume, Bianchi, and Galco leather holsters. The polymer ones are just too big and uncomfortable.

Depends. I have Kydex IWB holster and horizontal mag carrier for my PPS M2 that I would challenge any leather to match for size, weight and comfort. My new Kydex holster for my P320 + Inforce APL: Likewise.

I didn't used to be a fan of Kydex. For many things I'd still stick with leather only. But, I think Kydex has its uses, and is sometimes better.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
I carry a single spare mag in a CompTac mag carrier but when I carry two I just add a second single mag carrier.
I do the same. I will use four of them when shooting a USPSA match.

However, as I wear those out I might replace them with JM Custom Kydex Single Mag V2s.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post