SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally a use for Glock Maritime Spring Cups
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally a use for Glock Maritime Spring Cups Login/Join 
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted
Ran across these a few years ago and had a nice little chuckle of actually seeing these in the wild.

Fast forward to today...ran across this little gem on social media.

http://tribunist.com/news/fish...video/?utm_source=SR

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the "greater reliability for your Glock" statement. If mine get anymore reliable, they could shoot themselves.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If anything, Maritime spring cups have the potential for reducing the reliability of your Glock. The Maritime cups do not have 360 degree bearing surface in the striker channel and are more likely to fail. These are very small plastic parts. The recessed areas of the cups, which allow water to flow in the striker channel do absolutely nothing beneficial unless the pistol is being fired fully submerged.

Posts: 107511 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My understanding from the GLOCK armorers class was they don't help underwater. They help drain water after it has been submerged.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool video.

Posts: 378 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
My understanding from the GLOCK armorers class was they don't help underwater. They help drain water after it has been submerged.
Someone is misinformed. The channels in the cups allow water to pass over them when the striker moves forward when firing, preventing hydraulic lock of the striker when completely immersed in water. Take a look at Walther's Navy version of the PPQ. Same thing. The PPQ Navy slide does have an extra hole and it's intended for drainage, but the striker has the same kind of channeled cups as the Glock maritime cups.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I can tell you that my glock is 100% reliable with the maritime cups and 20'000 rounds through them!!! never had a single problem with them.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a broken spring cup, so we're speaking theoretically, of course.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The issues of marine spring cup failures revolve primarily around aftermarket sets, which apparently are made to a lesser standard than the original Glock part. The factory parts were never expensive (I still have several sets bought years ago), but a while back Glock started to limit access to factory marine spring cups after bunches of internet yahoos started posting all sorts of inane 'Glock water tests' with their marine cups in place. Companies like Ghost and LWD then came in to fill the void that Glock left, but apparently never got the actual specs on the originals before they started pumping their copies out.

Glock has stated rather bluntly in the past that the marine/maritime cups were NOT created and intended for underwater firing. Their design intent is to allow a previously immersed pistol to fire immediately after its recovery from whatever body of H2O that it was dunked in, without the need to shake out any water accumulation that would've gathered in the striker channel.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In one of my armorer classes, (Gen 3 era), the topic came up and the instructor said to not get them unless your guys really needed them (Marine/Wildlife LEO was the example) and if you did get them, replace them annually during inspection. I'm sure that's not an official position, but it extinguished my interest.

DC

These posts are for fun, not work.

name at gmail for comms

Posts: 172 | Location: TN | Registered: January 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Shooting lion fish looks like fun. Some save-the-world-group will come up with a bag limit ... Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything is a compromise. If they were as reliable or more so than the normal ones, and assuming the same cost to manufacture, then they would just be the standard part.

Shortcuts are harder; if they were easier, they would just be “the way”.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
You will the proper ammo.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post