SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol and Rifle cases - personal experiences?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol and Rifle cases - personal experiences? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
Pelican seems to be the gold standard.

Are there any others, especially with the option of cut foam inserts, that are equally or adequately similar?

I'm not expecting any high impact knocking around, just water tight protection and foam cutouts.

The pistol cases that hold multiple pistols and magazines are really enticing, though I'm not sure they would fit well in my small safe.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up this Nanuk 925 case awhile back and really like it. https://www.nanuk.com/925-4-up-pistol/ I think the latches are a little nicer then the pelican to use.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The issue with these cases...WHERE do You store them? They are large and heavy. That's my only issue with them.

I use the pistol sized case to house several pistols/revolvers in their own soft vases. No dedicated cut outs.

Do have a couple of rifle cases that are cut out for a specific rifle.

Love these guys for the durability and protection, but a PITA to store them.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
That's also one of my issues, storage and security.

I have an old, small bank safe that very neatly holds four padded aluminum cases with handguns. I would not be able to store the same number of handguns in that safe in any of the cases I've seen, and then there is the security.

It would be a bit difficult to break into or cart off my safe, though not impossible. Those cases would be easy pickings unless they are in a secure closet or room.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
In my safe...if it's not in a Colt or S&W box, it's in a cotton zippered case or one of those Bore Store silicone sock type cases.

Allows me to REALLY pack the handguns in the safe. Most factory cases take up too much room.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The cases are expensive, but locking them in a safe seems a bit excessive. Wink

Besides being an awful waste of space in your safe.

My pistols are all in zip cases or gun socks as well.
I have a couple big heavy duty pistol and rifle cases and I almost never use them, because they're so damn big and heavy duty. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I have a couple or so hard cases for pistols and three for long guns. I only use them for transport, not for storage. It might be different if I had a (large) room-sized vault, but I don't so I don't (store guns within them, that is).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went over this whole thing when I was trying to figure out a way to get a bunch of guns up to Alaska, I ended up with 3 cases, 2 Plano (higher end ones sort of a pelican knock off) and an skb because I needed a longer one. After messing with them trying to get like 13 guns I finally just tore out all the foam and packed the guns in the foam less shells with clothing and other stuff. It worked perfectly.

And yes they take up a bunch of space in the house.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I looked at other options but chose PELICAN. I bought cases large enough for two pistols. Better options, maybe. PELICAN works for me. And I do stack them in one of the safes.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good fortune with used pelican cases. I got one with a broken latch, called pelican ordered a latch and got it well below half cost. Have a long gun one that I got without foam, then just got some foam locally. Storage is a pain, but I just leave them under a spare bed empty when not in use.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of the SKB 4-pistol cases and 1 SKB double rifle case with wheels. I use them for travel/transport now, but 18-20 years ago, I used them for storage in the closet when I only had a few handguns to worry about. They're air/water tight and very rugged. And yes, very bulky to store. The rifle case is in the attic and the pistol cases are on a closet shelf taking up some space. The pistol cases will accommodate 2 padlocks each and the rifle case has 4 built-in locks.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Plano tactical cases are perfectly suitable for light duty weatherproof storage.

The Cabela's extreme type cases are sturdy like Pelican's but not so pricey if you can get them at sale prices.

Actual storage, that's what safes and gunsocks or VCI bags are for. You don't want guns in foam for long term storage.

Pelicans are what you use for real travel, like air travel.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with Seahorse cases. I also have a pelican but the Seahorse cases are much cheaper and the quality is great.

Posts: 123 | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pelican for me.

Posts: 50 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I fly to South Caroline to visit the in-laws I usually take my BCM carbine (her father and I usually take a day to go plinking and catch up). In order to take the carbine I purchased the 36" Plano All Weather(?} Tactical case with an orange handle a few years ago during a Black Friday sale and it has served me well during those trips. I mention the handle because all the examples I see now don’t have the orange so I don’t know if they changed the model.

I did do a side-by-side between the Plano and a similarly sized Pelican (the 1700, I think) and the Pelican is definitely a more robust and solid build. The Pelican's hard case is thicker and stiffer and the foam is meant to be cut while the Plano's is a pre-cut pluck style. If more was not a concern I would by the Pelican.

That said, the Plano has survived four trips between Oklahoma and South Carolina during the Christmas holidays passing through numerous airports like Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. My rifle has always arrived in the same condition as when it left my sight in OKC and maintained zero in at the in-law's property. The Plano works and if money is a concern then you could do a lot worse.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Anybody know if the "Legion" cases are made by Pelican as well?

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Pelican works well, have a rifle and multiple pistol case.

But unless I’m flying somewhere or driving for days, they sit in a closet, unused in years.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post