SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Les Bear Thunder Ranch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Les Bear Thunder Ranch Login/Join 
Picture of Nframe
posted
I honestly didn't go into the LGS to look at 1911's but they are my weakness, especially a Baer.

I have had a few Thunder Ranch versions in the past but sold 'em to because others wanted them more. When I saw this one in the used counter and had it in my hand it was all over.
Got it home lubed it and ran 300 rounds down range. Various factory and my reloads, oh does it shoot!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find! Enjoy!

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find!

It appears to be marked "Hillsdale IL," which is his old factory. About ten years ago he got smart and moved across the Mississippi River to LeClaire IA, about ten miles from me.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one of my favorite all time 1911's. Don't care what anyone says, there is just something about a Baer that is awesome... Congrats.. Plus they aren't making the TRS any more..

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do shoot. Earlier this year, I sold a Premier II that I custom-ordered without the thin grips or the front slide serrations. Other than that, it was pretty much the same.

I'm still second-guessing that decision, but it honestly didn't shoot any better than my Kimber. I still have another Premier II in stainless with adj. sights that out-shoots anything else I own. It'll shoot single holes at 25 yards from a rest all day long. And I didn't even order it with the accuracy guarantee.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Love it - congrats! I also was a prior TRS owner and earlier this year was able to trade on a Hillsdale TRS. Great 1911s!

To the point of an earlier post, I was sorry to see that the TRS has been discontinued. I’m glad its close cousin, the UTC (Ultimate Tactical Carry - essentially a TRS minus the TR branding) lives.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
A great find, a classic 1911 that you'll enjoy.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1550 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My premier 2 is nearing 30 k rounds ,it’s still tight with a great trigger . The most accurate
Center fire pistol I have ever owned .
The Wilson’s and Browns are better finished ,
But they have nothing on the Baer in the
accuracy department .

Posts: 26 | Location: Rockland county NY  | Registered: December 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I don’t think I could resist either.

Posts: 4520 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfede:
one of my favorite all time 1911's. Don't care what anyone says, there is just something about a Baer that is awesome... Congrats.. Plus they aren't making the TRS any more..

I agree 100%. MY TRS Commanche in Hard Chrome would be the last gun I would ever sell. Congrats!

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have always wanted to join your club.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've owned a UTC (same pistol without the "Thunder Ranch" advertisement on the slide) and it's a very well constructed pistol. My only complaint about it is that one needs to use a bushing wrench to take it down for cleaning. On a duty/defensive weapon, I just don't see a need for that kind of tightness. I own a couple Nighthawk Custom 1911s and they are capable of the same or better accuracy and I can still field strip them using my fingers alone.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I sold my Thunder Ranch Commanche to a member here several years ago. It was a fine compact 1911. And extremely tight when you first purchase them but do lossen up nicely after a few loads downrange. Well built.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
I love my TRS, it makes me look good every time it hits the range. Unfortunately, that is not often enough

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice score. The finish looks a heck of a lot better than on most Baers.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

That would be hard to walk away from.

Posts: 9139 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Well, this thread is a few years old but the Baer still shoots amazing!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I hadn't even noticed this was a back from the dead thread.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with my Baer. It's reliable and very accurate, but it just feels so different in the hand than any of my other 1911s, it just doesn't feel right. A while back I said screw it, threw resale ideas out the window and started modifying to suit me better. Took a diamond lap to the checkering and dulled them down, as well as deactivating and re-contoured the beavertail. Changed the trigger and I'm on my 3rd set of grips? I started to like it more and started shooting it a lot mere.

But since then I bought back the 1911 I sold to buy the Baer. lol So that's cut it's usage back down a bit.

Posts: 21093 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very awesome , great for you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I hadn't even noticed this was a back from the dead thread.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with my Baer. It's reliable and very accurate, but it just feels so different in the hand than any of my other 1911s, it just doesn't feel right. A while back I said screw it, threw resale ideas out the window and started modifying to suit me better. Took a diamond lap to the checkering and dulled them down, as well as deactivating and re-contoured the beavertail. Changed the trigger and I'm on my 3rd set of grips? I started to like it more and started shooting it a lot mere.
But since then I bought back the 1911 I sold to buy the Baer. lol So that's cut it's usage back down a bit.

The Baers have a longer front to back grip which gives them a different feel. I have many Baers and have had lots that I've sold off. I really like the feel and balance but understand how folks wouldn't care for them. I don't care for the Commanche (commander size) guns are less popular I've had a few and they shot great.
Lately the Dan Wesson's have become more of the go to 1911's for me.
I've always loved the 1911 and been shooting them longer than any of my other guns.