SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 Ga
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 Ga Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
OK not sure if this is any more than a range toy or something I’ve wanted since Terminator, but found one and decided before the ATF lose their mind I’d get one in. 20 Ga is a bonus as the ammo can be found for somewhat reasonable and it is lighter. I’m not going to brace - just going to put a Pachmeyr slip on grip and a sling plus side saddle for shells. Hickock seemed to like his, and many others like - so no real purpose but also have 250 rounds of #4 lead shot shells inbound from SGAMMO and some #3 buck - the buckshot is too expensive but picked up a few shells. Everything else is somewhat close to pre-COVID prices. Will post pics once in - arrives at FFL tomorrow.

It’s s a “firearm” neither long gun nor pistol...so figured closest match was pistol forum. So confused Wink

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 12 gauge version, purchased from Palmetto when the price was too good to pass up.

It would be better with a shoulder stock, even a reduced length of pull body armor version, but that would require SBR'ing what's really a loophole AOW shotgun.

Be sure to spend some time patterning it to see what it will actually do; accurate fire isn't as easy as one might think. It's very controllable. It can be aimed if held at eye level, but is best done against sling tension.

The forend strap is there for a reason; don't slip off or let your grip go past the forend.

Otherwise, it's a mossberg; it will last forever and it's about as reliable as they come.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a buffer tube adapter on it with an SBA4 brace. I use the MESA Tactical adapter, but Tacstar is OK and less expensive. The SB kit is the cheapest but it has a funny angle to it. The SBA4 is more solid than the SBA3 so it is preferred, especially for a 12 gauge.

With the buffer tube, total length is still over 26", and it doesn't have a stock so it's still a "firearm". But if you put a side folder on it (buffer tube folder or a 1913 back end, then it will be less than 26" and turn into an AOW (I think).

Next up is a Streamlight Racker forend which has it's own safety strap.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up two last fall when they were dirt cheap, a 12 ga marine coat and a 20 ga black. I auctioned off the 12 last month. I like it as is, perfect in the event I need to clear my hallway.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Another case of would of - could of - should of. PSA price for the 20g was $279 + S/H at one point, IIRC. Frown

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the 12ga for a while now; as long as I'm not having another insanity-driven episode and loading 3" magnum slugs it's been an ideal defensive weapon for me. I mounted a pressure-pad activated laser on it and only sight with that method, or without using the laser, just shoot instinctively at hip level. It's not that hard to find the target with the Shockwave with either method; the only difference is that I can reach out farther with the laser. Besides I've zero desire to go against the conditions in ATF's determination/"approval" letter that Mossberg provided a copy of with the gun. No brace for me.

Regardless...shot shells out of a relatively short smoothbore barrel; no precision sighting needed.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have the Rem TAC14 analog, and without a brace was able to pass our state's LE qual course, with the exception of the optional 25 yard slug stage which I did not attempt. The platform has much more potential for accuracy than given credit for.

One sits next to my easy chair to repel boarders if needed.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Be sure to spend some time patterning it to see what it will actually do; accurate fire isn't as easy as one might think. It's very controllable. It can be aimed if held at eye level, but is best done against sling tension.

The forend strap is there for a reason; don't slip off or let your grip go past the forend.

Otherwise, it's a mossberg; it will last forever and it's about as reliable as they come.

I have a 20 gauge Shockwave, no mods or anything, just plain stock. Spent time shooting slugs at my local indoor club to get the hang of it, then spent some time at my friends ranch shooting #4 Buckshot. Once one figures out a holding position and aiming, it is a hoot to shoot.

Mine fits perfectly in a special hiding place at my house for close encounters.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Picked up this afternoon - NICS checks are slooow. Tacstar sidesaddle.

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I too have the 12 gauge version with the "mini-shell" adapter. Gives me 8+1 rounds of Buck or slugs (I have mini-shells of both). I put the SB Brace on mine.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FlyingScot - Can I ask what brand and model that sling is? Gonna have to get one of those for my Shockwave....

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
FlyingScot - Can I ask what brand and model that sling is? Gonna have to get one of those for my Shockwave....

Nice sling from Amazon - Ace Two Tactical Gun Sling 550 Paracord - Rifle or Shotgun - 2 Point - Extra Strong Multi Use

-Scottish proverb

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's a review on the sling, bought one yesterday.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was intrigued by the Shockwaves when they came out. LGS price of $399 quelled my interest. About two years ago, another LGS had the 20 gauge NIB for $199 so I took one home. Definitely a learning curve but I like it.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not a shotgun guy so please forgive the perhaps stupid question. I’ve seen this before, what is the purpose of the first round (maybe last?) in side-saddle being reversed from other shells?

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the reason that they did it in the picture is for hand clearance with the loading/ejection port and the forend.

In my side carriers, all the founds point down.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Christmas 2019 a local shop was selling them for $225 NIB. They had about 50 in stock. I regret not getting one Frown

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flying Scot and Oddball - Thanks guys - just ordered me one myself...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember seeing article in one of the old annuals from the 70s-80s of plainclothes cops with something similar used for witness protection details. As I recall intended use was well within 20 feet of intended targets and probably more like reach out and touch you.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20ga is in stock here:

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=128130

If you want 12ga, add your name to their list and check email every few hours. CALL when they tell you it's in stock, it worked for me.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=118940

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post