SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P365XL Stiff Manual Safety
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P365XL Stiff Manual Safety Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone else had issue with manual safety being very stiff? I have tried flipping off and on over quite a few times and has helped a LITTLE. Anyone have a suggestion to help reduce the stiffness?

Thanks

Posts: 22 | Registered: May 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try a drop of oil on the safety detent pin.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was it a manual safety from Sig or did you change it over?

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although SIG would recommend against modifying parts, shortening the safety detent spring or polishing or shortening the detent itself would probably make it easier to operate. Polishing the contact surfaces of the lever might also help. The risk with modifying parts is of course that the safety might no longer stay engaged properly if touched inadvertently.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was purchased after the pistol from Osage. I did shorten the detent pin lightly because I could not install without doing that. I have oiled the pin but with all of that it is still stiff. Should I try shortening the detent pin more?

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by instructor:
Should I try shortening the detent pin more?

I suspect that would help, because when the safety is operated the detent spring must be compressed. The longer the detent is, the more compression is necessary, and the more difficult it will be.
But when I ever did anything like that I made sure I had a replacement part on hand. Wink

If you purchased the manual safety separately then the detent may be out of spec, or at the upper length limit.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ordered another detent pin and spring. Will try and shorten the detent more.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Interesting topic; our floor model P365 TacPac thumb safety version has a particularly difficult to operate safety as well. Definitely let us know how it goes with yours.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
One of my XLs came with a particularly stiff safety out of the box. A bunch of dry holster presentations and safety manipulations later, it feels like my other one.

Mine, at least, smoothed out with some manipulation to wear the parts in.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine has a difficult safety too.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Friends!!

UPDATE

Factory detent pin' overall length is 0.2610 inches

I slowly shortened detent pin to 0.2095 inches. I also found shiny spots on safety lever which I lightly polished.

GUESS WHAT???

Safety lever is easier to engage/disengage and functions perfectly.

TRY IT .....it works!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good news. Thanks for the update so we all benefit.

6.4/93.6

— Plato