SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 new OEM Grip Gap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 new OEM Grip Gap Login/Join 
posted
Hello.
I obtained a 1990's era 228. To replace the rubber Hogue grips, I purchased new OEM Sig right & left grip panels. Unfortunately the lower back has a gap where the two panels are not meeting. Not sure if it is possible to fit/shape plastic grips (heat? sanding?) or do I need to return & try another set? Do I need "old" Style grips without the lanyard loop?
Thank you

https://flic.kr/p/Erqa8L

Posts: 7 | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think mine is the old-style 4-piece steel strut & seat assembly. (pictured)

Would it be easier to dremel the grips? what part of the base should be dremeled? Thanx

https://flic.kr/p/21dTQst

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skyhigh_ct:
I think mine is the old-style 4-piece steel strut & seat assembly. (pinctured)

Would it be easier to dremel the grips? what part of the base should be dremeled? Thanx

https://flic.kr/p/21dTQst

Yes, yours is the original all metal main spring assembly. You can try to dremel the grips at the area of the base of the assembly.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can try to dremel the grips at the area of the base of the assembly.

Or find the correct grips. I just sold a pair that fits the long mainspring on this forum. Sorry, I do not remember the correct mold dates you need.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would prefer to find/buy the original mold grips. I do not like the newer ones with the lanyard hole. Thanx

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would prefer to find/buy the original mold grips. I do not like the newer ones with the lanyard hole. Thanx

Then, it will be a little difficult, as the one w/o the lanyard loop was made only for the first 3 years of the P228 ('89-'91). After that, it's the grip with the loop. But, the all metal assembly continued on until around the end of the 20th century. So, there are lanyard loop grips that can still fit your 1990 P228.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
Or you could update to the more recent mainspring set up.

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all thee info.
Mine has a 1990 date code. It looks like it will be difficult to find original style grips. Any ideas on where to look?

Will the new style mainspring setup change the pull weight or just be a new profile? I assume is would be similar to the new E2 grip kit?

Curious if the E2 grip kit for P229 fit the P228?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Check fleabay and GB. But, still, it will be tough to find.

The E2 kit for the P229 is the same for the P228. Pull weight has to do with the spring weight. Change the spring weight to less to get a lighter pull.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
. . .
Will the new style mainspring setup change the pull weight or just be a new profile? I assume is would be similar to the new E2 grip kit?
. . .

It will actually reduce the stacking in the DA pull. Every one of mine that had the old style mainspring and seat, got the new version for just that reason. I even stuck those parts in my P225 (original kind), which never came from the factory with those parts. Anyway, this is easily the simplest and easiest solution to your problem, which improves your trigger pull to boot.

Posts: 904 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: June 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post