SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on Sig factory custom shop -P series work
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Sig factory custom shop -P series work Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No. I spoke to them the day I posted this thread.

quote:
Originally posted by spexet:
From my very limited experience, "Quick or good" is not an issue with Grayguns...for a lot of P2xx stuff, it is simply unavailable. The "current wait time" on their website says "we do update our wait times twice-a-month", yet it was last updated on May 8.

I saw an e-mail from them once mentioning new factory space, so maybe that has something to do with it. They are regularly sending e-mails describing new P320 offerings, so they are definitely busy there.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My information is current too...my last correspondence with them was on Thursday. I'd love to try out their actions, but they've been out of stock for quite some time. I imagine this is the lament when working with in-demand people...you gotta wait, sometimes for a very long time. It's that way with cars, it's that way with motorcycles, and it's that way with guns.

Posts: 122 | Registered: April 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "current wait time" on their website says "we do update our wait times twice-a-month", yet it was last updated on May 8.

I believe the update on May 8 2018 was in reference to their policy and not the actual wait time update.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only guess at what's going on, but it looks like they've been constrained on parts for quite some time. Their website may list wait times of a few weeks, but that is really dependent on parts availability. If the parts are available, that's great. If the parts are not available (like P-series action kits), then those few weeks end up stretching into months.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I've been satisfied with their work. Sure you could get better with GGI, but I'm happy enough and it only takes two to three weeks Max. Pretty affordable too. They used to do a fathers day special with free shipping, but I didn't see it this past year.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Robert Burke -- The Sig Armorer

This

Plus one VERY HAPPY one ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only guess at what's going on, but it looks like they've been constrained on parts for quite some time. Their website may list wait times of a few weeks, but that is really dependent on parts availability. If the parts are available, that's great. If the parts are not available (like P-series action kits), then those few weeks end up stretching into months.

You realize that when you send in your Sig for an action job they are working with the parts in your Sig and not using an action kit. GG can install them but the action kits are primarily for owners who can do the install themselves or have a local gunsmith install them. That is why you can purchase (when available) from places like Top Gun Supply and others.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You realize that when you send in your Sig for an action job they are working with the parts in your Sig and not using an action kit. GG can install them but the action kits are primarily for owners who can do the install themselves or have a local gunsmith install them. That is why you can purchase (when available) from places like Top Gun Supply and others."

I am not convinced that that is really the case. In my case, I wanted to send my gun in (obviously) and followed their service request process. If you request a standard (not custom) action job, what is listed on their cost estimate (statement of work) is a line item for their parts kit (in my case, "PPAK Gen 2 Self Defense"), plus a line item called "Install and fit of the P-PAK Kit".

Bottom line: If you want a "standard" (as opposed to custom) Gray Guns job, what you get is their parts kit plus install/fit. That only makes sense...how would they put out great work if they had to use your existing, probably worn-out parts? Besides, if you check their website for the standard Action Package descriptions, that is what they say...their parts plus installation. OK then.

It gets more curious...just for the hell of it, I just checked Top Gun Supply for the P-Pak Gen 2 Self-Defense Kit. The same parts kit that is listed on the Grayguns website and my 9-month old estimate is now "discontinued" at Top Gun Supply.

posted Hide Post
There is a difference between the Action Cleanup Perfection "Service" and the P-Series Perfection Action "Kit". The PPAK Gen 2 Self Defense parts kit plus the line item called install and fit is when you purchase the kit from GG and have GG install it.

When I purchased their Action Cleanup Perfection Service for $295,for my P226 there was no selecting a parts kit or install charge. Same thing when they worked on my well used P228.

https://grayguns.com/action-cl...-perfection-service/

posted Hide Post
I have messed with a few p series with custom shop work done and all they feel like is a classic p series pistol that has had 1-2k rounds shot through it.

I have yet to have GG or Burke work on one of my guns but I have plans to send 2 P226's to mr. Burke at the start of the new year. I would recommend going this route over the custom shop.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sparkyk: That link you gave was the same process I followed. What came back in the resulting estimate for my "service" request were line items for the kit plus installation. There's not much else to tell I'm afraid...maybe I'll try their new straight trigger in the future.

In the meantime, I'm in the same boat as the OP...I can either use the Sig custom shop (decent, moderately priced, factory warranty and you know what you are getting)...or I might try out Robert Burke (fantastic reputation, factory certified armorers, a bit higher price and what looks on the website like a pretty straightforward order process).

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
Bruce is a two month wait on action work.... minimum. Sig is 3/4 weeks

Robert is usually two weeks or less!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
I’m looking for opinions on the Sig Sauer custom shop. I’m
Considering sending a p220 in for a SRT and AEP pkg.

Just wondering if anyone has done the AEP and SRT and is there a
Noticeable difference compared to the factory trigger and action?

I had them do that exact package to my W German P228. They botched it like no other. My DA came back at nearly 20 lbs pull. When they tried to fix it, it came back with light primer strikes. They then told me it was an old gun and in essence shutup and stop complaining. Of course, it worked perfectly before they got a hold of it. I finally had one of our moderators, who is a certified SIG Armorer, put a complete new spring kit and go through it. It seems to work now but I don’t have any confidence in it. And for the record, when I sent it in, it was working flawlessly. I wouldn’t give them anything to work on - even if it was free.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Another Robert Burke fan. I do love Grayguns too but Robert has a quicker turn around right now and is good to go.

I would send my pistol to one of those two before sending it to the factory custom shop.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for. Big SIG fan. Not a big AEP fan as I have seen the quality of some of the work over the years and it looks like a chainsaw was used to remove a pimple.

There are better options IMO.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of "getting what you pay for", can anybody offer their opinions of Robert Burke's "P-Series Carry Level Action Job" plus the Total Automations QTR Trigger? I don't have much to go on from his website, but they look like possibly great alternatives to AEP+SRT.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The DA/SA pull on my new M11-A1 was far from what it is on my West German P220
It was suggested to send it in to have an action job done by some.

I went with the simple approach first after a couple hundred rounds.

Installed a Wolff 18# mainspring.
Foam plug under the hammer and dry fire, a lot.

Did not like the trigger, replaced it with an Armory Craft slightly curved adjustable trigger.
Shot some more and lots more dry firing with cleaning and lubing the action once in awhile.

Much better now than when it was new, don't think I'll send it in as it feels pretty good to me.
The AC hammer should be shipping soon and then it's more dry fire time.
I figured if I'm going to be sitting in queue for weeks I may as well just dry fire the crap out of it and see what happens.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of "getting what you pay for", can anybody offer their opinions of Robert Burke's "P-Series Carry Level Action Job" plus the Total Automations QTR Trigger? I don't have much to go on from his website, but they look like possibly great alternatives to AEP+SRT.

Worth every penny.

I don't know what else you want from his website. If you look under FAQs section, the explanations are a little more detailed.

Did I mention, worth every penny? Smile

quote:
What is an Action Job?
The Sig Armorer’s Action Jobs include all the fitting, polishing, and friction reduction from the Trigger Job but adds custom geometry changes. This includes customer preferences in the values of take-up, creep, over travel, reset, and pull weight reductions.

The Carry Action Job moderately reduces all the trigger functions so that the user has a nice compromise between safety, reliability, and comfort. The client can request Single Action trigger pulls down to, but not surpassing 3.5 lbs. per The Sig Armorer policy.

The Competition Action Job takes all the facets of the trigger pull to the extreme to produce a truly fast shooting competition gun. The competition shooter will enjoy Double Action pull weights in the 7 lb. range and Single Action weights down to 40 ounces. If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

What are the Benefits of the QTR System?
QTR, or Quick Trigger Reset, is a proprietary product from Famed Gunsmith Gerry Ritacco of Total Automation. The Sig Armorer is the only authorized outlet other than Gerry himself for this product.

QTR shortens the single action reset just as much as the SRT does, but in a different way that allows us to create a better single action let-off. Two additional features of the QTR system are reductions in take-up of nearly 50% in Single Action mode and nearly 75% in Double Action mode. This is accomplished thru modification of proprietary parts only.

I'll add that, although his website says "QTR shortens the single action reset just as much as the SRT does", my experience with my two P226 LDCs is that it shortens more than the the SRT does.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delong31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
For so so action work, use the factory.

I’ve heard this more often than not, which is kind of sad. The cash outlay is no drop in a bucket for so-so work.

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If all else fails you can reach out to GerryR of Total Automation. He has been able to modify a handful of SIG P22X parts for me over the years. I’ve been happy with the work.

I tried reaching out to GGI but they stated they weren’t in a position to accept any custom work.
That was about a little over a year ago. I ended up going the TJ’s custom gun works route for a barrel mod so far it’s worked and haven’t given me any problems.

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post