SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on Sig factory custom shop -P series work
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Sig factory custom shop -P series work Login/Join 
posted
I’m looking for opinions on the Sig Sauer custom shop. I’m
Considering sending a p220 in for a SRT and AEP pkg.

Just wondering if anyone has done the AEP and SRT and is there a
Noticeable difference compared to the factory trigger and action?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Most people here seem to like the SIG action work - they typically have sales / cheaper shipping deals around the holidays I think.

But honestly if you are going to ship your SIG, I would consider the SIG Armorer in TX or Gray Guns in OR for custom work. Both of them will give you a better trigger and shorter reset that SIG Custom shop. The SRT you can actually do yourself, the parts are available online for <$40 and with a couple of punches you can install in about 30 min.

Here it is from Midway - https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...r-kit-sig-sauer-p220

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That be truth.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 doing it yourself. When I dropped the SRT into an old P6 it had a dramatic improvement on the trigger. That and a lower power mainspring will get you most of the way there. Polishing the action parts (leave the sear/hammer engagement alone though) and grease will be almost as good as a professional action job.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce is a two month wait on action work.... minimum. Sig is 3/4 weeks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10x Sniper,

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Robert Burke -- The Sig Armorer

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Robert Burke -- The Sig Armorer

This

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very happy with their work and never had to wait four weeks. I get plenty of OMGs when we do show-and-tell. Plus, SIG is commuting distance so I never had to deal with shipping.

In a perfect world I would send my guns to Bruce Gray but the shipping is a killer.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
For so so action work, use the factory.
For exceptional action work, go Robert. Worth every penny. Oh, and the turnaround time has never been more than 10 days.

This is from personal experience with both.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I've used them for three guns - 239/9, 229/.40, and 220/.45. Very happy with the results on all three. This was several years ago when they were having holiday sales on packages such as SRT, AEP, SSP, and barrel re-crowns. One of these days I'll try Robert Burke or Bruce Gray when the need arises. I'm sure they're better than Sig Custom Shop, but I'm happy with my results nonetheless.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 that the previous owner had the SRT and AEP work done. I can't comment on what that gun's action felt like before the work, but comparing it to other P226 actions I've owned (new &used) I think there is a noticeable but subtle improvement. There is no missing the shorter reset and just a tad smoother trigger pull.

However, I've had a chance to shoot a P239 with Gray Guns action work and there is a distinct improvement in that action over the SIG work, and from the comments I've read I'd bet the same is true for The SIG Armorer's work.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Anybody know if Sig will do their Sig Service Package on a P239?

Was wondering if they still supported them since they have been discontinued.

I had an arrangement to get my 14+ year old and well worn 239 serviced about a year ago but it fell through. Need to get it gone over.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've done the AEP/SRT on 228s and 229s. The action enhancement is ok, but only upgrades a new handgun to what it would feel like if you just shot it a lot.

I had a weird experience on the short reset trigger. Got the gun back and it had a problem with hammer-follow. Didn't want an illegal machine gun, so had to send it back. Sig made it right, but I wonder how they sent it out that way in the first place. I wonder if the problem would have occurred if I had attempted the work myself, and what I would do then.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One caveat regarding Gray Guns...I had heard how popular they were, and tried to get an action package plus trigger. After almost 9 months waiting, I inquired about my request.

The reply that came back mentioned that they are changing their action work to revolve around their "new EDC trigger system" (their words, not mine).

It looks like a cool trigger, actually...but it's straight. On their website, it's the "EDC Sig Sauer Straight Optimized Trigger".

Too bad it's not available for my gun (a P220) yet. (Cue up the "womp, womp" sad trombone.)

Your mileage may vary. I was just hoping to get one of those cool action jobs and fancy curved adjustable triggers like the Legions have, but it is not to be. (Not now, anyway.)

Posts: 122 | Registered: April 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
Not sure I understand, will this not work?
https://grayguns.com/product/p...t-gen2-self-defense/

And this? https://grayguns.com/product/s...able-curved-trigger/

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strambo: They've been out of stock for a long time. Those were what I wanted to get.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spexet:
Strambo: They've been out of stock for a long time. Those were what I wanted to get.

Gotcha, that sucks. You can also get really good results with the in stock GGI trigger, a 19# mainspring and a standard SRT kit.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have been happy with the Sig Custom Shop work for tuning up an old gun, quick and cheap. If you want a gun to feel like it was made correctly and with some care, it should meet that standard.

Bruce Gray's work is better, if you have the time and money and want perfection.

It all depends on what your standards are. Do you want "Sig good" or "Custom good"?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
Bruce is a two month wait on action work.... minimum. Sig is 3/4 weeks

So do you want it quick or good??

I sent a P226 to Sig for their AEP and SRT. Which was an improvement over stock. My next P226 went to Gray Guns. Definitely a better trigger. My next P series went to Gray Guns as well. And the rest of my Sigs will eventually go to Gray Guns.

Also I believe you will be without your Sig for less time with Gray Guns since they hold a spot for you once you place an order. And when your spot is close you then send in your Sig.

This is from their website.

When should I ship my pistol?

To reduce the amount of time your firearm is at Grayguns, you will receive an email from us when we are ready to start work on your firearm. At that point, you can send us your pistol or pistols right away.

After completing the form, you’ll receive an auto-reply from Grayguns with instructions. Please check your spam folder if you don’t see this email.

When our team receives your pre-order, we will review the request, and an estimate will be sent to you via email. This email will include an approximate date we will ask you to ship your firearm to us.
Approve the estimate via email. Pistols are added to our work queue only after estimates are approved.
When we are ready to receive in and begin work we will send an email notification to ship your pistol. Your gun must be received by Grayguns within 14 days, or your place in line may be lost.
We will send an invoice when the work is finished and we’re ready to ship your pistol.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my very limited experience, "Quick or good" is not an issue with Grayguns...for a lot of P2xx stuff, it is simply unavailable. The "current wait time" on their website says "we do update our wait times twice-a-month", yet it was last updated on May 8.

I saw an e-mail from them once mentioning new factory space, so maybe that has something to do with it. They are regularly sending e-mails describing new P320 offerings, so they are definitely busy there.