SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Nickle Sig P228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nickle Sig P228 Login/Join 
Picture of FPrice
posted
I have an opportunity to purchase a nickle P228, KA date, with box.

I've read a bit about these guns but am curious. Most write-ups seems to be good, but is/are there any problems with these pistols, especially the nickle coating, which I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

Posts: 168 | Location: The People's Commonwealth | Registered: March 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
If the price is right, most folks would jump all over that. They have been bringing a good premium price. Be careful what you clean it with . You can damage the finish with the wrong solvents. More folks will chime in soon I expect. I have a P220/45 all nickel. No box, or target etc. Beautiful pistols. I haven't been able to figure out its value lately myself. P228's are lovely, well balanced Sigs. I carry my two tone nickel all the time.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problems, buy it.
Is the box stamped 'Nickel'?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that seems like a nice gun to get. The 228 pistols are amazing guns but to find one in a nickel finish is a must buy for me. Price, of course, depending and more importantly if it is a factory nickel gun. If you get it, please report back with some pics.

Posts: 6838 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barring abuse, P228s are definitely solid pistols. Nickel finishes do require a little more cautious care than other types but it will hold up when treated properly. Nowadays however most nickel P228s wind up being safe queens because of their general increase in value over the past decade. Others on the forum can speak to specifics about the P228 better than I can, but my KE P228 (not in nickel; it's not really my kind of finish) has been one solid performer over the years that I've owned it.

Speaking of resident P228 experts here on the forum, has anyone heard from Q lately?

-MG

Posts: 1924 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a nickel 228 that was done by Bruce Gray. Fantastic pistol in every respect.

No wear issues whatsoever.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I asked this question here a couple years ago recall learning that no P228's were all factory nickel, just nickel slides (two tone), but that many were done by one particular company here in the US after import.

(Or maybe I imagined the whole thing.)

I passed on one for $600 about 2 years ago and regret it.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are we both looking at the same gun on another forum? I haven’t seen the box yet

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
I believe I asked this question here a couple years ago recall learning that no P228's were all factory nickel, just nickel slides (two tone), but that many were done by one particular company here in the US after import.

(Or maybe I imagined the whole thing.)

I passed on one for $600 about 2 years ago and regret it.

Klein Plating in Pennsylvania did the nickel plating for Sig back in the day. This "KB" nickel P228 is one of my favorite guns in my collection

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10446 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you avoid using on nickel? I have a beretta 85 nickel that I was thinking of shooting in 32. Is Eezox ok? Just no Hoppes?

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
What do you avoid using on nickel? I have a beretta 85 nickel that I was thinking of shooting in 32. Is Eezox ok? Just no Hoppes?

stay away from cleaners that contain ammonia.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10446 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Barring abuse, P228s are definitely solid pistols. Nickel finishes do require a little more cautious care than other types but it will hold up when treated properly. Nowadays however most nickel P228s wind up being safe queens because of their general increase in value over the past decade. Others on the forum can speak to specifics about the P228 better than I can, but my KE P228 (not in nickel; it's not really my kind of finish) has been one solid performer over the years that I've owned it.

Speaking of resident P228 experts here on the forum, has anyone heard from Q lately?
I thought no one would ever ask. He hasn't posted in some time. We all miss you 12131. Be well sir.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Was wondering about this myself a couple weeks ago.
I just looked and his last post was Jan 06, 21.

I'm going to drop him an email...

Update, heard back, he's doing well...

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to find a nickel KA P228 on GB a couple years ago. I way overpaid and it came with a box and no magazines or papers and was pretty dirty. .I Sent it to Robert Burke for a tune up plus new sights and took a flitz rag to it afterwards and save for a scratch caused by the takedown lever Its near flawless. It comes out of the safe a half dozen or so times a year for special occasions. This and one of my P225s would be among the last guns I would ever part with.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post