SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FNS 509 Range Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FNS 509 Range Report Login/Join 
posted
Picked one up Thursday. Seems like there is some anti FN sentiment on this board so i will only report the facts. Trigger: a little gritty to start by 500 rounds it was the best striker fired trigger i have pulled including on a VP9 and PPQ both of which i have owned and traded. Fit and Finish: all i can say is it seems a cut above the regular FNS (of which i am a big fan). Barrel has a match crown, the slide is heavy-HK like without a hint of machining marks, and the frame seems beefed up with the characteristic big thick metal rails. Sights are big 3 dot visible white. Grip: I put the straight back strap on and it fits like a glove.
Range: 900 rounds: 115 Fed Am Eagle FMJ, Sig 115 FMJ , Hornady 115 hollow point, Winchester 115 silvertips-all flawless. Accuracy: at 50 feet made one ragged hole to point of aim, at closer distances it was almost boring it was so accurate.
Negatives: 2 mags, not 3 and getting more mags right now is problematic. (I am limited to 10 rounders).
Bottom line: absolutely love it. No brass to the face, accurate, positive ejection, easy to shoot and reliable.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. I was thinking about getting one until Apex Tactical mentioned that their new flat trigger for the FN 509 was backwards capatible with the older FNS model.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time. How much did it set you back? Although the U.S. company doesn't have the best reputation and could stand some improvements, I acquired an 40 FNS a short ago time and solicited some feedback on it which was appreciated. I also notice how much the trigger improved after repeated use. I won't place its trigger in the same catagory as the VP9 or PPQ but it does get the job done. I didn't find any of the issues noted with its grade of polymer. In fact I think its heavy duty in comparison to other. My feelings & take away after each range visit is that is a quality tool built for professionals.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
Seems like there is some anti FN sentiment on this board so i will only report the facts.
FNH-USA, not Fabrique Nationale Herstal.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was $545.00 plus tax. It was the first one that came in to one of the local FFL's. We have 3 pretty good sized ones here in the Hartford area. I was surprised to see it, went into to grab some ammo and walked out with it. They had literally just logged it in from their UPS shipment.
Anyway, my plan is to just keep pounding rounds thru it and see how its shooting at the 3 and 5 thousand round mark.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My concern with any FNH-USA pistol is how it behaves in temperature extremes- either very hot or very cold.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I pulled the trigger on one at NRA. Terrible trigger and ugly. CZ P10 has a much better trigger.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I was not impressed with the two I played with the at NRA show. A pass for me. Glad you like it.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I also played with them at the NRA show and was quite impressed. I'm so heavily in to Glock I don't see picking one up, but the trigger seemed a lot better than my Glocks and the gun felt very balanced in my hand.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local Point Blank range has one in the case. I got a chance to hold it and dryfire a couple of times and I liked it. Thinking about picking one up but I'd like to try the new P320 xcarry and CZ P10c as well before I throw down the cash for another gun.

Great review OP and thanks for taking the time to post it up.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the FNX and the 509 seems like a great handgun, the one thing the turns me off is that the magazines are in my opinion expensive and hard to find.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Really disappointing to read that they abandoned the FNS magazines for yet another design. Certainly annoying on the retailer side but also for me personally as a FNS owner. Still, I'm interested in how the new design feels and shoots. For the most part I've taken care of any itch for a striker from FNH with my FNS9. It's been a very good, shootable pistol that only needs to pass a sun exposure test on a hot day to prove its mettle.

Now if only it will STOP raining...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our labs did comparative analysis of the US-sourced recent production composite materials by thermogravimetric analysis as well as DSC and DMA, including those for Sig, FN, some others. We saw no significant differences in Tg, melting/decomposition behavior and crack development. Those that go into FN 509 should behave similarly to Glock, etc. as far as heating is concerned. I won't specify employer, sorry.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, the "don't leave it in the sun thing" with the FN's is really silly. I will keep the pistol in my safe or on my person until i take it to the range or God forbid have to brandish it to defend myself and never give a second thought to the "will it still work after baking in the sun all day" internet issue.
Just my opinion.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
... and never give a second thought to the "will it still work after baking in the sun all day" internet issue.
Well, whether or not you give it any thought, I hope it's not a problem for you at a critical moment.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
KLBJ 590 AM (Austin, TX) had an ad for the 509 during the Hannity Show. I was wondering if it was a local ad or national ad. Unless the 509 receives stellar reviews I will wait for the CZ P10 fullsize. No bias against FN but a preference for CZ.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well the sun came out this afternoon. An air temp of 72°F or so and steady sun for 20 minutes on the deck table didn't upset the polymer. Felt just as stable as my G19's frame that I was changing the sights on, sitting right next to it. At some point into the summer I'll end up over on the east side (of the Cascades) a few times for some long distance shooting and coyote 'business'; if I remember I may bring it along and see how it does when the temp gets into triple digits. But at a decent (finally, for once) regular temp and a good dose of sun today it seems GTG.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Probably a good shooter from under an umbrella Smile
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Really disappointing to read that they abandoned the FNS magazines for yet another design. Certainly annoying on the retailer side but also for me personally as a FNS owner. Still, I'm interested in how the new design feels and shoots. For the most part I've taken care of any itch for a striker from FNH with my FNS9. It's been a very good, shootable pistol that only needs to pass a sun exposure test on a hot day to prove its mettle.

Now if only it will STOP raining...

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
... and never give a second thought to the "will it still work after baking in the sun all day" internet issue.
Well, whether or not you give it any thought, I hope it's not a problem for you at a critical moment.

I lost my faith in FN while back. Picked up a early FNP Tac and the trigger wouldn't break every few rounds. They replaced the pistol and right off...

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post