SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anybody own a Zastava?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody own a Zastava? Login/Join 
posted
I have thought for years about picking one of these up and trying it out - either a CZ999 or the new EZ9. Does anybody here own one, and if so, what do you think of it? I have never seen them discussed here. Looks like a cross between a Walther P88 and a SIG 226.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Never owned but have shot and handled.

It feels and shoots like a bone stock P226 but handles like a Walther P88/P5 in that the decocker is both slide release and decocker. I really like this aspect and it works great.

I don’t THINK but don’t hold me to this, that P226 mags are compatible.

The CZ99 or 999 or 990 or whatever I handled was built very well.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
No experience with the models you mentioned, but I own 3 of the Tokarev based models and really like them.

I have 2 Yugo M57's and a M88A. They are slim single action autos.

One good thing that has happened recently, is that a company in the US has established a distributorship, including parts.

Until they did this, getting parts was very sketchy.

Link to Zastava USA
https://zastavaarmsusa.com

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, but thinking hard on a CZ999 (like rails but prefer a more classic Yugo). FWIW, they're on sale at Atlantic Firearms and DKArms. Prices may have dropped elsewhere as well.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Zastava cz999.
I do believe this is one I will never sell.
First time at the range I shot dead center of a small match box at 10 yards. Sights are where I think sight picture should be.

My brother says he likes the trigger on the cz better than on his SIG P226.

I have never had a problem with it, but it is just a little too big for concealed carry in my opinion. Of course, that is just my opinion.

I have been trying to make wood grips for these, but it is rather frustrating.
Out of about 20 sets I started out with only have 5 that might make it to the end.

..............edited to add...,
If anyone knows who sells replacement screws for the Zastava cz999 please let me know.
After about 100 times taking the grips on and off they are starting to look a little ratty.
They are M5x5

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Check out item #37 - "cover screw". Not cheap at $7.99 a copy, but factory specific. Helpful hint: tap on the box that says "choose an option" for a scroll-down list.

http://zastavaarmsusa.com/prod...pistol-cz-999-parts/

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much, Il Cattivo, for the link.
I'll check it out.

MTC29, those wood grips are great. Any more wood grips are around $90. I think you got a good deal.

Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I know this is not a CZ99 or EZ99, but I have a new run Zastava M70AA. It is better than I thought it would be. I am glad I have an ultrasonic cleaner. It was easily the most gunky new pistol I have ever bought.

Anyway, the weak point of this gun is the finish, perhaps the lack there of, on the magazines. It is bad enough it slows magazine drops. I would check CZ99 mags as part of the purchase decision.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents for the day.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I might look into picking one up.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
squid826,
Forgive me for forgetting one important factor concerning the cz999's. I know that I posted that I haven't had any problems with it, however, I do recall having "stove-piping" when using 115 grain ammo. That was way back when I first got it.
If you feel that you have to shoot light 115 grain change the recoil spring accordingly.
124 grain NATO power works without a hitch.
It has been a while since I bought mine and forgot that bit of info.
I don't want you to purchase a CZ999, shoot 115 grain, have stove-pipes, and then come looking for meWink

Forgive me for not mentioning this at the beginning, but I'd rather look like an ass than to have you have a bad experience with what would otherwise be a good thing.

posted Hide Post
I found some notes from long ago about CZ999 holster compatibility. Might be more available now, but here is what I have...

Springfield XD (size 11)

(RTG Supplies) Walther and HK USP leather concealment, with thumb strap

Pro-3 Duty Holster for HK USP by Uncle Mike's

Sig PRO-2022

Taurus PT-145.

I can't find my notes on magazine compatability, But I do remember that Beretta 92 FS mags work with modification.
Others work with mods, but I cannot recall .

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481:
I know this is not a CZ99 or EZ99, but I have a new run Zastava M70AA. It is better than I thought it would be. I am glad I have an ultrasonic cleaner. It was easily the most gunky new pistol I have ever bought.

Anyway, the weak point of this gun is the finish, perhaps the lack there of, on the magazines. It is bad enough it slows magazine drops. I would check CZ99 mags as part of the purchase decision.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents for the day.

I would like your pistols brother , the M57A, in 7.62x25, which also has the slide mounted safety. These upgraded single action Yugos are much safer with a hammer block, which makes them more drop safe than the frame mounted surplus M57's such as I own.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post