SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any love for the p290RS?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any love for the p290RS? Login/Join 
Picture of Swordknives
posted
Looking for opinion on the Sig P290RS.

Background, one is for sale here locally and I was thinking this could be an interesting addition to my CCW rotation (currently a G26 and a shield.) I never really loved the shield and if it replaced it all the better for me.

I hear they have a very long trigger pull but it is smooth, they are out of production but basic parts are available, and holsters are available for it too. Price is not great but I may be able to talk him down to a reasonable amount.

So what do you think of the p290rs? Give me the good, bad, and ugly on this little fella.

Thanks SF

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing to love about the P290RS as far as I am concerned (ha)...... that being said..... I do own three of them and I think that they are among the safest IWB / pocket carry guns ever made.

To me, these are the perfect replacement for those who like the S&W J-frames, but want better shoot-ability and more capacity. Like some of you folks, I have moved away from striker guns and want an exposed hammer that I can put my thumb over every time I touch the gun, wether its in the pocket or in the nightstand.

Upside:
I think it's very safe to handle for the casual gun owner
or in a struggle with a bad guy
Accurate at self defense distances
Totally reliable with all ammo (except 147gr Federal hp)
Exposed hammer for my thumb
Stiff DA trigger for safety

Downside:
Not really fun to shoot
Not a great trigger for long range sessions or weak hands
Not great ergonomics
Lots of better shooting single stacks

So for me its a tool that does what its supposed to do. I am sometimes temped to replace it with a P365 with a thumb safety or a G43 with the striker control device, but as of now I am fine with the P290RS, hope that helps.

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmon:
Nothing to love about the P290RS as far as I am concerned (ha)...... that being said..... I do own three of them and I think that they are among the safest IWB / pocket carry guns ever made.

To me, these are the perfect replacement for those who like the S&W J-frames, but want better shoot-ability and more capacity. Like some of you folks, I have moved away from striker guns and want an exposed hammer that I can put my thumb over every time I touch the gun, wether its in the pocket or in the nightstand.

Upside:
I think it's very safe to handle for the casual gun owner
or in a struggle with a bad guy
Accurate at self defense distances
Totally reliable with all ammo (except 147gr Federal hp)
Exposed hammer for my thumb
Stiff DA trigger for safety

Downside:
Not really fun to shoot
Not a great trigger for long range sessions or weak hands
Not great ergonomics
Lots of better shooting single stacks

So for me its a tool that does what its supposed to do. I am sometimes temped to replace it with a P365 with a thumb safety or a G43 with the striker control device, but as of now I am fine with the P290RS, hope that helps.

I like the P290RS and its DAO trigger and while I am not a fan of striker fired pistols for safety reasons, I bought a p365 w manual safety and sold the p290. Capacity and the fact that the 365 fit in my p290 holsters made the decision easy. Also, I recently switched out the grip module for an XL. Still decent for pocket carry

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P290 years ago, not long after they came out. I liked the size of it and the longer pull was not bad at first. After firing it, the pull-although smooth, was very long and accuracy started to suffer. There is no short take up for the next shot like on a Glock or even the 365, as it is the same trigger pull from first to last. Unfortunately, being the first run for the P290, it suffered from trigger issues that were resolved with the P290RS. It was known for failure to fire. I returned it to Sig for the upgrade but I could not trust it again and wound up trading it in. The prices, from what I see on the regular sites, seem to be high in my opinion-average $400 or so. In my opinion, unless you can get it for much less, I would opt for the 365 unless you prefer a hammer fired pistol. The 365 is slightly more for a new gun and can be found for $425.00 or less used, on a few local sites by me. I wound up buying a 365 w/thumb safety and have no complaints.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P290RS and carry it when the P226 is impractical.

Positives:
1. Reliable
2. Easy to conceal
3. Can ride the hammer for safe reholstering
4. Surprisingly accurate for a small gun
5. Enough weight to not jump around in your hand

Negatives:
1. Does not like reloads (but I've never had an issue with factory loads)
2. Heavier than many other guns this size (trade off with #5 above)
3. Long trigger pull
4. Have to do some looking to find holsters and accessories, as it is a discontinued firearm
5. Cannot cure COVID (but can be used to social distance when surrounded by liberals)

So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause. (A comment on our COVID response)

Posts: 19 | Location: Governor Smek's Buckeye State | Registered: April 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the P290 in 380. It will NOT get thru one single magazine without jamming. The problem is the weakest ejection I've ever seen in a semi auto, even with handloads that are a bit over 10% of maximum. About the ONLY way to get reliable function is to shoot it left handed Gansta style with the ejection port facing he ground, then it will actually get every case to clear the ejection port. Unfortunately I am right handed and I don't shoot very well with that Gansta style.

BTW, it really is a bit of a shame. I chose the 380 version because 380 is VERY cheap to reload and because of the trigger. Note, the trigger is fantastic for training in DA shooting and I got the P290 to relieve the workload on my S&W model 67.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My wife has one in 9mm with restrike, she shoots it well and it performs very well. A number of my students have used it and like it as well. It has been 100% dependable. I have shot the state LE qualification course with it and it is surprisingly accurate. The long trigger pull has it's advantages, depending on your purpose. I trained with revolvers the first 17 years of my career, and continue to train security officers who carry revolvers, so the long trigger pull is not an issue for me. You just have to learn how to use it.

I really like the heft and the full sized sights. I have thought that if it were available when I was on the street, it would have been my backup. It has been overcome by the P365.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have one of the non restrikes with the factory laser.... carried it for a while before I fell in love with the 'big old' P239s...

my only complaint is it is a little chunky for what is considered a pocket pistol...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post