SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P365 w/stainless slide...question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P365 w/stainless slide...question Login/Join 
posted
The slide has a matt/dull finish on it. What would be everyone's thoughts on using Mothers Mag Polish to put a shine on the sides of the slide and leave the top in the factory matt finish. Will it work, and anyone have any idea how difficult it would be?

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My motor cycle had stainless wheels and I used mother’s and it made them look great.

My concern would be that your slide may become slick and slip out of your hand when you rack it.
Also, it may reflect the sun in your eye and obscure target acquisition

Try a little on a small piece of your slide.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fanner50:
The slide has a matt/dull finish on it. What would be everyone's thoughts on using Mothers Mag Polish to put a shine on the sides of the slide and leave the top in the factory matt finish. Will it work, and anyone have any idea how difficult it would be?

I did much the same thing with a P226 to make a Fauxquinox because I liked the look. Mine was black Nitron which came off easily with varying grits of sandpaper and polished to a nice gloss. I suspect the matte stainless on your slide will take a LOT of elbow grease to put a shine on with Mothers if you're not sanding as well, and you may need to consider using at least very fine grit paper to speed the process. I imagine the slide serrations will be largely unaffected.

image hosting services

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

I did much the same thing with a P226 to make a Fauxquinox because I liked the look. Mine was black Nitron which came off easily with varying grits of sandpaper and polished to a nice gloss. I suspect the matte stainless on your slide will take a LOT of elbow grease to put a shine on with Mothers if you're not sanding as well, and you may need to consider using at least very fine grit paper to speed the process. I imagine the slide serrations will be largely unaffected.

image hosting services

Your slide looks very nice. Thanks for posting it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

image hosting services

Your slide looks very nice. Thanks for posting it. The more I think about it I think it will really be a lot of work.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes it will work. I'd prefer to use Collinite metal wax for polishing. I would tape the top that you don't want to shine up with good tape so you have a nice clean line, perhaps electricians tape. If it's a bead blast finish it's going to take more effort, and probably will need a small buffing wheel on a drill or Dremel and jewelers rouge, or the other option is to wet sand it, start with like 400 then 1200 then 3000 grit then buff it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure you can do it, but why? This pistol is meant to never be seen. Plus with the stock finish if you happen to get it scratched up a simple bead blast will have it looking new.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would be interested to see what the slide looks like after a little Mother's polish was used on it. I have a S&W 460V Magnum that had a brushed stainless finish with lots of machine swirl marks on it. I used some Mother's on it and it looks much better. It's not a high polish finish however a decent shine and the finish is even.

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post