SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So I took a couple Glocks to the range today and got to thinking, why the G17 vs G19 for LEO?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I took a couple Glocks to the range today and got to thinking, why the G17 vs G19 for LEO? Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
There's a lot to be said for a full grip.

Exactly!

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I guess for me the G19 is a full grip. Makes perfect sense though for men with well actual man hands. I’m gonna go sob quietly now. Frown

Full grip for some. We have several officers that hold a Glock 19, like most of us hold a Glock 26 with flush fit base plate.

I carry a G23 with a G22 with the Magazine filler thingy. Why not a G19 with a G17 mag?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Why mess around with that for a duty gun, though? Just as strong argument to ask “why not a G17 with G17 mags and +2’s?” If it’s on a Bat belt, what are you gaining with the shorter grip with a longer mag and an X-carry or the like? No advantage I can think of there.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
NYPD agrees with you. G19s for everyone.

Not that they can hit anything with them but that's a training issue.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The G19 prior to Gen 4 didn’t fit me well and thus I preferred the 17. Now that the Gen 4 is out, I like the G19 enough that I finally bought one. The back strap is just enough different on the newer versions.

Now either is fine with me so I’ve made the G19 the one I carry and the G17 as a range and house gun.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Mainly a "mandatory 12 pound trigger" issue.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

8 lbs.
5.5 lbs, if you use a -connector.

Nope, they just suck, as marksmen.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bruce

Actually, NYPD authorizes both Glock 19 and Glock 17s.

Article.
Be advised, there is a lot of BS in the article, but the key point is that NYPD now authorizes the 17.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

8 lbs.
5.5 lbs, if you use a -connector.

Nope, they just suck, as marksmen.

Bruce

Incorrect. NYPD uses the 12 pound a.k.a. NY2 or NY plus trigger. Their SIG 226s also have the heavy DAO trigger pull.

The trigger pull is even part of the Job standard test that new applicants must pass.

As for comments on accuracy or training I'd defer to the Rand study and I'd also recommend comparing the NYPD's stats to other LE organizations.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Capacity, sight radius, grip, all mentioned. But also FPS! Longer barrel means faster speed.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We issue G22 for uniformed patrol and G23 for dicks. The City next to us issues G23 for everyone. There are issues with G23/19 for uniformed carry, mainly with level 3 holsters more grip equals better draws. With all our gear on and jackets (North East mind you) having more grip makes it easier. There have also been issues with gloves getting caught in the magwell during reloads on the compact frames. The G45 concept is a good idea with fullsize grip and compact slide with less slide to sit on and mess with the seat belt assembly.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
less slide to sit on and mess with the seat belt assembly.

If you have issues with your duty holster getting caught on the seat belt assembly in your vehicle, or you're having trouble accessing the release around your duty holster while buckled in, grab a 3" seat belt extender from https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/

It's basically a second, taller socket, that works exactly like your existing one. Since it sticks up higher, you don't have to worry about your holster getting hung up on entry, and it's faster to release on exit. Makes getting in/out the car while wearing duty gear a lot smoother/easier.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
I read a long time ago to carry the biggest handgun that you can shoot and carry efficiently. I took that as carrying a full size handgun in uniform, and a compact in plainclothes/undercover. For the Glock 17 and 19 comparison, I found that the 17 has an edge in many aspects, but this did not include the few that can handle the 19 better due to hand and body size. This brings up the issue of having only one option for an entire agency. It would seem that having options brings about success, such as having 17s and 19s in the armory for issue rather than just one size fits all.

For those of us that are "universal" shooters, being that we can shoot anything well, it doesn't matter. Not everyone is capable of doing that. I went from duty guns being the Beretta M9, SIG Sauer M11, Glock 22, Glock 19, to Glock 17/19 (depending on assignment), without any issues.

The 19X or G45 may be the answer for many Officers.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with you.

G19 is pretty much the perfect size gun for 'most' people.

Big enough to feel like a 'normal size gun' with standard controls - but small enough to conceal without difficulty.

Capable of accepting full-size mags.

But you know - choices are good. However if I could only own one handgun - I would be fine with my Gen 2 G19.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
My G45's have replaced my 19s as my duty weapons. It solved my complaint about the 19 and my complaint about the 17. What's not to like.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
I had three Glocks, the 17, 43 and 42. All are gone except for the 42, which I pocket carry.

I used the 17 only as a night stand weapon and to do my yearly LEOSA qualification, having to qualify on the same exact course all active duty officers have to do in Arizona.

Was having problems with 17 at the 25 yard line string of fire, the weapon just never fit in my hand right and the trigger left a lot to be desired.

Cured that problem with a Walther PPQ M2, it has the absolute sweetest trigger of any striker fire I have seen. Shoot the 25 yard line with no problems now.

Kind of envious of all these departments that issue you pistols, on the Chicago Police Dept you had to purchase your own, on your own dime.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chazman1946,

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Most detectives don't try to "conceal" their pistols because they carry the Safariland ALS paddle holster, which is impossible to conceal unless you are wearing a coat 9x too big.
If that's how it actually works in your area, I'm impressed. However, in the places I've worked, I rarely see the detectives, who have a penchant for open carrying, using a holster with a true retention device, like the ALS. Most of those guys are essentially open carrying in a wide variety of holsters, of varying quality, which even if good quality, are really only appropriate for true concealed carry, because they have no serious retention device.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
My G45's have replaced my 19s as my duty weapons.

Is a G45 basically a G19 slide on a G17 frame? Shorter barrel but capacity of G17?

(Google didn't answer this question for me)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
My G45's have replaced my 19s as my duty weapons.

Is a G45 basically a G19 slide on a G17 frame? Shorter barrel but capacity of G17?

(Google didn't answer this question for me)

Yes

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The G45 is basically a slightly tweaked G19X, in black.

G19 slide and frame length at the muzzle, with G17 grip length and magazine.

quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Most detectives don't try to "conceal" their pistols because they carry the Safariland ALS paddle holster, which is impossible to conceal unless you are wearing a coat 9x too big.
If that's how it actually works in your area, I'm impressed. However, in the places I've worked, I rarely see the detectives, who have a penchant for open carrying, using a holster with a true retention device, like the ALS. Most of those guys are essentially open carrying in a wide variety of holsters, of varying quality, which even if good quality, are really only appropriate for true concealed carry, because they have no serious retention device.

My agency mandates at least one level of active retention on any holster carried openly during plainclothes or soft uniform duty.

Like jljones experience, that pretty much means Safariland 6377/7377 ALS holsters are used by most everyone in those roles, since it has active retention and the draw so closely mimics that of the Level 3 ALS/SLS duty holsters. Leather holsters with thumb breaks make appearances too, though.

Most of the time, I use a 6377 with an added ALS Guard, for an extra layer of security. But it's definitely not a concealment holster, unless you're wearing an overly large jacket/coat.

posted Hide Post
My agency mandates at least one level of active retention on any holster carried openly during plainclothes or soft uniform duty.

Like jljones experience, that pretty much means Safariland 6377/7377 ALS holsters are used by most everyone in those roles, since it has active retention and the draw so closely mimics that of the Level 3 ALS/SLS duty holsters. Leather holsters with thumb breaks make appearances too, though.

Same in my Dept. Safariland ALS for off duty carry/court/plainclothes.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post