SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What’s a good quick access bedside safe?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s a good quick access bedside safe? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I use the exact safe under my bed. No batteries to go bad, and no unreliable biometric system.
Yup. I've had a fancy electronic safe fail when I needed it. Never again.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting the Vaultek Pro MXi. Had some extra cash to burn, so figured I just get this thing.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com...-safe-review-mx-pro/

Very happy with it so far. Very slick looking as well.

I didn’t get the fingerprint scanner one

5 Quick Access Methods: keys, keypad, fingerprint, app, & wireless key
Extremely Modular: can fit up to 8 handguns or endless combinations of guns, magazines, and valuables
App: easy entry and history lookup
Looks: manly yet tasteful design and the sound effects are perfect
Hardware: comes with mounting screws and a dual handgun rack

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
Concur on the Vline top draw with simplex lock. Been using one for just about 8 years, same reason as the OP, and it’s been solid. Highly recommend

Posts: 212 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
I also like those with simplex locks and have one of the Vline’s that mount under a shelf or desk, with a pull out tray. I forget the exact name and size but it holds 2 P226’s easily.

The challenge is figuring out how to mount and access it. A lot depends on the difficulty you intend for a thief to face when attempting to remove the box. The greater the challenge, the more you need to bolt to some structure and the safes are somewhat limiting with mounting options. That said, several of the Vline models have optional brackets to allow either an under-desk mount or mounting on the floor.

Supposedly, a Simplex lock can be violated with a punch attack. The American Security safes advertise that their Simplex locks are protected from such.

Dean Safes is a good site to view the different types and brands. Good luck with the shopping. You are wise to get a safe, given your children.

Excellent post. I’ve gone thru the same logic and investigation. I spent far more time trying to figure out a reasonable mounting solution than I spent in selecting the safe. I have the same VLine and I think it does provide a bit more flexibility with those accessory brackets. Yet the AmSec does appear to be the sturdiest of the Simplex bunch.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a VAULTEK like many in this thread. It works great, but the biometric feature is complete trash and doesn't work. I was sold on the biometric feature, but I should of known better that a small company is not going to have the R&D budget to nail down such a special next level feature. Just read the reviews I'm not BS you. The keypad works flawlessly though and it's fast.
If I could do it again I would get the basic model with only the keypad and save some $.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How fast is the simplex lock to work under stress?

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Extremely fast. But like anything you need to practice.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Extremely fast. But like anything you need to practice.

Do you have to reset it if you punch the wrong button?

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yes you do so by simply turning the knob in the close direction to reset.

It is probably faster then the electronic locks that beep at you 3 times to let you know you screwed up.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am laying in bed and just timed myself to open my bedside/in the drawer VLINE.

3 seconds to punch code and lift open.

Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Simplex is hard to beat and plenty fast once you get used to it. The Vaultek is pretty nice, I’ve heard the more you age the less reliable the biometric becomes as your skin loses its elasticity...but it also offers keypad and key entry as well as tamper alerts etc. I own both types and no issues with either.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am laying in bed and just timed myself to open my bedside/in the drawer VLINE.

3 seconds to punch code and lift open.

Thanks. I've been looking at online reviews and seems like the simplex locks are the way to go. there are a pile of you tube videos showing the electronic locks getting defeated.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You need to have a realistic goal. These are not for hardened criminals or skilled thieves. These are to stop your local smash and grab artist or children or that one dumbass that we are all friends with. You don’t have any dumbass friends you say.....maybe firearms are not for you because I have some bad news for you. Smile

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goforbroke:
I have a VAULTEK like many in this thread. It works great, but the biometric feature is complete trash and doesn't work. I was sold on the biometric feature, but I should of known better that a small company is not going to have the R&D budget to nail down such a special next level feature. Just read the reviews I'm not BS you. The keypad works flawlessly though and it's fast.
If I could do it again I would get the basic model with only the keypad and save some $.

Yes, that’s why I went without that. I don’t think I’d rely on it even if it worked well.

I do enjoy the quick access key pad, and the remote opener thing.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by goforbroke:

Yes, that’s why I went without that. I don’t think I’d rely on it even if it worked well.

I do enjoy the quick access key pad, and the remote opener thing.

Yeah I have NEVER got my biometric feature to work, and I’ve tried multiple fingers etc....
The reviews on Amazon tell the real story. I’m surprised they have such a positive social media following. Bought mine on Black Friday it was considerably cheaper then (25% off)so I grabbed the nicer model, wrong move.....

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
As quick as any other locked gun box IMO.

We have several V-lines around the house and the one near my bedside gets used multiple times a day (holds my EDC G19 when I sleep, shower, etc). It's placed in such a way that I cannot easily see it, so I typically only touch it to get access and I never have a problem opening it quickly even just by feel.

I have had to use it several times at night when the house alarms has gone off and it was quick to open.

If for some reason you think you want 'faster' access at night, you can punch in all or a portion of the code ahead of time - yes, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a locked box if you have the code already entered, but it's an option.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
As quick as any other locked gun box IMO.

We have several V-lines around the house and the one near my bedside gets used multiple times a day (holds my EDC G19 when I sleep, shower, etc). It's placed in such a way that I cannot easily see it, so I typically only touch it to get access and I never have a problem opening it quickly even just by feel.

I have had to use it several times at night when the house alarms has gone off and it was quick to open.

If for some reason you think you want 'faster' access at night, you can punch in all or a portion of the code ahead of time - yes, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a locked box if you have the code already entered, but it's an option.

Thanks Rhino. I'm stuck with a lock requirement when I'm billet and wanted something that would lock to satiate the brass, but still reliably and rapidly release the weapon if I need it.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m not familiar with most of the locks being discussed, but something to consider is how much noise an automatic opening lock makes. I seem to have a more active imagination than some people, and I can think of situations in which I’d want to be a little stealthy and not have an intruder hear and come running to the sound. I have a larger Hornady safe that opens with an RFID fob, and it makes quite a thump when it unlocks.

If I needed something like a bedside lock box for fast access (won’t call something like that a “safe”), I wouldn’t begin to consider an electronic lock, much less something biometric. Simplex locks have been in use for many decades and although they can be defeated like any other easy access lock, they’re not likely to just die on their own.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can turn off the sound to the Vaultek when it opens, still not endorsing them though.
I’m not personally worrying about any kind of “stealth” because my 4 dogs will(have) lose their minds when they hear any bump/thump in the middle of the night.
They’re probably one of best 4 legged alarm systems/deterrent for criminals imo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yup. I've had a fancy electronic safe fail when I needed it. Never again.

I have one of these on my shopping list:

FAS1 Safes

Posts: 565 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post