SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What’s a good quick access bedside safe?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s a good quick access bedside safe? Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Our toddler is getting to the age where nothing is safe.

I know nothing about small, easy to access safes, or at least what a good one is.

Any recommendations?

Let’s say the budget is around $250 for this.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Vaultek fan. I have two of their safes. One is smaller and I use it when I travel. The other one is larger and it can hold my S&W M&P with TiRant 9M (in the short config) attached (TLR-1 too). Finding a bedside safe that can hold a suppressed pistol results in very limited options. Vaultek nails it.

They feel very well made and sturdy. Two thumbs up from me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I used to use this one

Fort Knox handgun box. Simplex mechanical lock system. In your price range.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I'm a huge Vaultek fan. I have two of their safes. One is smaller and I use it when I travel. The other one is larger and it can hold my S&W M&P with TiRant 9M (in the short config) attached (TLR-1 too). Finding a bedside safe that can hold a suppressed pistol results in very limited options. Vaultek nails it.

They feel very well made and sturdy. Two thumbs up from me.

I’ve been considering vaultek actually. Saw Colton Noir’s videos on them, it’s actually at the top of my list. Thanks for your input.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion oddball, I’ll check it out too.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
http://www.vlineind.com/

I have one of these and have been very pleased with it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
If this helps, I’d like one that can hold a G19 and HK45, plus magazines.

Checking out the vline

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have a 28 year old "Pistol Pal" handgun vault with a five button "Simplex" lock. It still works like new. I recommend that lock highly.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For 2 handguns and mags and a light look at either a Fort Knox PB1 or a Vline Brute.

Simplex mechanical locks, good build, fairly tough.

Now remember these are for kids, drunks and idjits not to keep out a determined thief. I think I like my Vline’s better but it’s really just a “feel” thing.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I have an older style Hornady RFID safe. I’ve been very happy with its quick access.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
The simplicity of the Vlines and Fort Knox is nice...no electrical.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
This is what is by my bedside.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also like those with simplex locks and have one of the Vline’s that mount under a shelf or desk, with a pull out tray. I forget the exact name and size but it holds 2 P226’s easily.

The challenge is figuring out how to mount and access it. A lot depends on the difficulty you intend for a thief to face when attempting to remove the box. The greater the challenge, the more you need to bolt to some structure and the safes are somewhat limiting with mounting options. That said, several of the Vline models have optional brackets to allow either an under-desk mount or mounting on the floor.

Supposedly, a Simplex lock can be violated with a punch attack. The American Security safes advertise that their Simplex locks are protected from such.

Dean Safes is a good site to view the different types and brands. Good luck with the shopping. You are wise to get a safe, given your children.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have several V-lines, they work great - I even screwed up the combo reset once while the safe was open (which is better than closed) and the tech talked me through how to remove it and send it to him to reset - had it back in about a week.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fort Knox or V-Line. If you need a top open, narrow safe, Fast Action Safe is an option.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I have 3 vaultek safes and am very happy with them. Work every time and have great battery life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I used to use this one

Fort Knox handgun box. Simplex mechanical lock system. In your price range.

I use the exact safe under my bed. No batteries to go bad, and no unreliable biometric system.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Vaultek. Never had an issue with my older one.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Hornady RFID quick access AR vault for my bedside. It doesn't get much faster and it has keys and a pin pad as fail-safes.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post