SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P 320 Frame mods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P 320 Frame mods Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
I have a P320 45 which seems to be the step child in terms of grip variety availability. I shortened a full size to carry so I could have a medium grip. Now I’m considering rail removal. Anyone done this? Do you have pics so I can see what it looks like? Thanks.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend did this mod twice to a P250fs grip module. His first attempt was with a disc/belt sander and he burned a hole through it. The second attempt he used a fine tooth jewler’s saw to remove the rail then a few different wood rasps to trim back the edges of the rail and square up the bottom. His final finish was done with files and crocus cloth wrapped around a ruler.

Since he already had the one boogered up frame he experimented on it with whet stones, rasps, files, sand papers before he began on the second grip module. I estimate he spent two days total on the two modules but the second one turned out well. I would not call it perfect as it is not exactly uniform. You do have to be holding it though, the irregularities aren’t noticeable at a glance.

I do not have photos, but he used my SP2340 and P250sc as visual aids.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I "removed" the rail on my P320 FS .40.

With some skill and luck you can "remove" the rail in terms of functionality. The bulbous rail caused a problem with my BladeTech OWB holster. It fit, but required a perfectly vertical draw until the gun cleared at the very end. The slightest amount of premature canting at the end of the draw stroke and the gun would bind. Never had the problem with any other gun.

Given the construction of the frame, it's nearly impossible to do a perfect job. The frame is VERY thin in some rail areas. Also, mine had some air pockets in precisely the wrong places. I stopped removing material after I reduced the size to my liking. Ugly...YES, but functional.

As the prior poster accurately mentioned, "I would not call it perfect as it is not exactly uniform. You do have to be holding it though, the irregularities aren’t noticeable at a glance."

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post