SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Friendly ammo reminder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friendly ammo reminder Login/Join 
Living In A Wild Place
posted
Always be sure an other caliber isn't mixed in when shooting! I managed to fire a 9mm in my 40 sigpro. Went phss though i had a bad round of some kind. Case didn't eject though it swelled nicely to fit chamber. Interesting part was it went right through the X, best shot all day.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Did that one time, also shot a .380 in a 9mm. Both times were due to a mixed tupperware container of cast off individual rounds that had accumulated over the years. Strange coincidence that both of mine were through Sig Pros as well, neither gun seemed to mind all that much, beyond a failure to eject.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that, got the dunce cap.

Shooting 9mm Luger in a .40 S&W barrel doesn't seem to do any damage, however.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Several .40s in a .45 1911 many, many years ago. Couldn’t understand why it kept malfunctioning then I turned white when I figured it out.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
A round that is too small is an embarrassment; but one that is too big...

ETA: It doesn't seem to be too common in pistols to have the wrong round actually damage the gun, or injure the shooter when using factory (not bad hand loaded) ammo. The only case that I can think of where you could conceivably chamber a too powerful cartridge in a handgun is by putting a .454 Casull in a Judge or Governor, since those have long chambers and will chamber a .45 Colt.

If anyone is aware of a handgun round with a bullet that is too large for the bore and that will chamber to fire, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Rifles are where the real action is for these kind of disasters.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grabbed 3 boxes of ammo to take to the range today. Went through two boxes and in grabbing the third, I realized it was .40 not 9mm. But can't say I've ever loaded the wrong caliber, much less fired.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot several 41 Mag rounds in a 44 mag until I I strarted seeing the split cases. No harm.

Posts: 208 | Location: Littleton, Co. USA | Registered: August 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I mixed a speer 124 gr .357 sig in with a box of .40 one time. It fired and extracted and ejected just fine, but there wasn't even a good way to guess where the bullet went after bouncing around in the barrel.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
When taking guns in different calibers/cartridges to the range (in this case 9mm Luger and .380 ACP), I like to put out only one gun/cartridge at a time and leave the other(s) in the bag. It is quite possible to chamber a .380 in a 9mm. Obviously not the reverse.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Something I have to watch more & more. I used to be content with the mainstream rounds, now I’ve got some oddballs & a few mil-surps.

The 9mm Makarov, 380, & 9mm are all very similar. I just added the 6.5 x 55 Swede to the loading rotation. Then we have the 6.5 Arisaka, and the 7.5 Swiss.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pblanc:
Been there, done that, got the dunce cap.

Shooting 9mm Luger in a .40 S&W barrel doesn't seem to do any damage, however.

(Sigmund slowly raises hand)

My 9 in 40 didn't do any damage either, it did split the aluminum case.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
And make sure you bring the correct barrel to the range Wink

https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...ment-barrel-9mm.html

Posts: 3510 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Don't have to worry with me.
9 and .45 only for pistols.
5.56 and .308 only for long guns.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pilot99:
Always be sure an other caliber isn't mixed in when shooting! I managed to fire a 9mm in my 40 sigpro. Went phss though i had a bad round of some kind. Case didn't eject though it swelled nicely to fit chamber. Interesting part was it went right through the X, best shot all day.

Just goes to show that 9mm is better than .40. Razz

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
A round that is too small is an embarrassment; but one that is too big...

ETA: It doesn't seem to be too common in pistols to have the wrong round actually damage the gun, or injure the shooter when using factory (not bad hand loaded) ammo. The only case that I can think of where you could conceivably chamber a too powerful cartridge in a handgun is by putting a .454 Casull in a Judge or Governor, since those have long chambers and will chamber a .45 Colt.

If anyone is aware of a handgun round with a bullet that is too large for the bore and that will chamber to fire, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Rifles are where the real action is for these kind of disasters.

Mother of God...

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
So you do shoot 9 mm better than 40. *s*

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've done this before with a Glock 19 mag in a G23.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
"So you do shoot 9 mm better than 40. *s*"

Perhaps i should try a 5 shot group! If good could save buyin a 9mm barrel.
Actuality i shoot 40 better usually.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post