SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    BDA Slide Taper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BDA Slide Taper Login/Join 
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted
I have noticed recently that the Sig made Browning BDA 38 Super has a taper at the muzzle end of the slide whereas the 45 ACP is not tapered but straight and level. The taper I am speaking of is on the upper portion of the slide. I am sure someone on this forum can chime in and explain this feature.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It is not only on the Browning labeled guns but all very early SIGs. Someone here will have photos. I believe they were called "pinched nose" or something like that.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
The Type I slide (or "pinched nose") was the original P220 slide design. It was used on the earliest 9mm, Super 38, 7,65mm (30 Luger) and I believe 9mm Steyr P220's. With the addition of the P220 in .45 auto, the Type II slide was introduced (presumably to accommodate the larger dimensions of the 45 auto cartridge) and was eventually made standard across all calibers. FYI, there were six (6) P220 slide variations between 1976-1996.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not only on the Browning labeled guns but all very early SIGs.

Later Browning BDA's also had the "Type II" slide. If you own a Browning BDA in 38 Super only a few were imported. My first Sig was a Browning BDA in 45acp.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
An earlier thread here ,this one about a 30 Luger P220 a member has, but shows the slide taper.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/8040026014/p/1

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Later Browning BDA's also had the "Type II" slide. If you own a Browning BDA in 38 Super only a few were imported. My first Sig was a Browning BDA in 45acp.

Are you saying later BDA's in Super 38 had the Type II slide? In my experience, only the 45 auto BDA was supplied with the type II slide.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
9mm Steyr P220's
You caught my attention. Can you point to to any resource for the Steyr?
When was Steyr working with SIG? Thanks.

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Herman:
quote:
9mm Steyr P220's

Right or wrong, the poster was referring to the 9x23 Steyr cartridge as a chambering.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you saying later BDA's in Super 38 had the Type II slide?

NO

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Herman:
quote:
9mm Steyr P220's

Right or wrong, the poster was referring to the 9x23 Steyr cartridge as a chambering.

Yup. The P220 in the center with the nickel controls is a 9mm Steyr. The one directly above it is a 9mm Steyr also. I don't think the 9mm Steyr P220s were available with the Type I slide as they were possibly made only in 1984.

Now if only I could find another 10mm for cheap. Big Grin

Posts: 9148 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I don't think the 9mm Steyr P220s were available with the Type I slide as they were possibly made only in 1984.

.38supersig - Thank you for the clarification. Do you know for which market the 9mm Steyr P220's were produced? I'm assuming they were intended for a country or countries where 9mm para and/or 45 auto are off limits to civilians. Also, do you know how your two 9mm Steyr pistols made it to our shores? Thanks!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I don't think the 9mm Steyr P220s were available with the Type I slide as they were possibly made only in 1984.

.38supersig - Thank you for the clarification. Do you know for which market the 9mm Steyr P220's were produced? I'm assuming they were intended for a country or countries where 9mm para and/or 45 auto are off limits to civilians. Also, do you know how your two 9mm Steyr pistols made it to our shores? Thanks!

I have an exporter who is able to buy firearms and accessories from a good deal of the EU. I had heard about the 9mm Steyr P220s and asked him if such a thing was obtainable. He replied less than a week later and said that he located these two from Brindisi, Italy. I was able to get these imported with ease. I was told at the time by a representative of the ATF that these are the only two 9mm Steyr P220s in the United States and possibly North America. The one with the contrasting controls sees range time every now and then. The minty-in-the-box one (hey, everyone needs a safe queen Big Grin ) hopefully stays that way.

Posts: 9148 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post