SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Custom sights for SIG P220 match elite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom sights for SIG P220 match elite Login/Join 
posted
I thought there might be some interest in this.
Hopefully this is the right forum as it's my first gun related post and I'm still getting to know my way around in here.

I absolutely love my P220 match elite's in 45 ACP but it's been increasingly harder for me to aim using the plain rear "barn door" style rear sights.
This is especially true for me on an all-black target.

So, I ordered two extra rear sights from SIG:
-One was milled with dimples to accommodate sight paint and I am happy to report that aiming is now easier and a LOT faster for me.
-Another was milled with dimples and with an inverted V notch. I'm going to just experiment with it in the future to see if aim and speed is improved for me.

I can always return to the plain rear sights in the future if I want to.

I also had a custom mount made for a Trijicon RMR. I haven't ordered the Trijicon RMR yet - I'm waiting for a birthday present from the wife. :-)

All work was done by AmerigunUSA http://www.amerigunusa.com/

Link to photos

Posts: 9 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I like the inverted V notch. Let us know how it works out.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to make a gold bead front sight for the p220

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took an idea from the P220 Equinox and put a green TruGlo TFO front sight on my Match Elite.
The Bomar type rear sight is one of my favorites. It's real easy to pick up now.

Posts: 35 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Superzuki:
I took an idea from the P220 Equinox and put a green TruGlo TFO front sight on my Match Elite.
The Bomar type rear sight is one of my favorites. It's real easy to pick up now.

That's also a great idea and I toyed with lots of ideas before I had the white dots added. The one P220 is now like every other handgun I own. Oh I have a couple with a U shaped notch in the back but they all have white dots.

Whoops - nope. I just checked and my Colt Gold Cup 1911 - it has Elliason blank rear sights. :-( That's almost a harder problem as the front sight on the Colt is staked and not so easy to just push out and replace.

Posts: 9 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: I finally got the Trijicon RMR (RMO6, 3.25 MOA dot) mounted.

The Trijicon REALLY helps with aim.
The targets are using the Trijicon and are shot from a bench.
Targets:
Left-5 shots 25 yards. I had 1 flyer at 25 yards on this particular target but was able to get 1-1.25 inch groups once in a while.
Right-3 shots 10 yards which was literally almost through the same hole.

50 yards off hand will be an entirely different story!Big Grin

I might be able to fine tune the POI but it's the grouping that I'm pointing out.
I could never even hope get this kind of grouping from a handgun with regular sights, bench or otherwise.

Ammo was ordinary Winchester 45 AUTO Target/Range 230 Gr. FMJ.

Link to photos

Picture of RELOADER-10
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, where did you find the RMR mount? I would love to put a red dot on my Super Match.

Posts: 8 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RELOADER-10:
Nice shooting, where did you find the RMR mount? I would love to put a red dot on my Super Match.

The mounting plate was custom made by Gary McVety of AmerigunUSA. He also took two stock SIG "barn door" blank sights and
1) Sight #1: added white sight dots
2) Sight #2: same as sight #1 plus modified the notch from a square to an inverted "V".

I have not yet tried the inverted "V" sight.

See the pictures and my first post in this thread.

posted Hide Post
Updated - lost my photo host:

New link to photos

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
Someone needs to make a gold bead front sight for the p220

Any good gunsmith can do this for you. Don Williams set up my 3 Colt 1911's with gold bead fronts. He just bought a set of plain black Heine sights, then after we got the front sight height right, he drilled it and inserted the gold bead. The bead comes from SDM fabricating, who I believe makes the gold bead sights for S&W revolvers that have them. You can buy just the gold bead, comes with a stem to install into a drilled hole, for $25.

To the OP, I have a P220-10mm Stainless Elite that I believe has the same adjustable rear. Personally, I've always preferred a plain black rear notch. Something about lining up two or three dots confuses my brain. I focus on the front only and it just appears in the notch. I've got to have a good front though. I don't like the Dawson Precision FO's, because they are too skinny. They provide good light, though. My older eyes need a bigger front, and I installed a SIG TFO on my P220.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSteve57:
Updated - lost my photo host:

New link to photos

Does this link work for anybody else? It does not work for me.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link worked for me

P220 Legion
P227 SAS
M11-A1
P229 legion (357 and 40)
CZ 75 tactical
CZ PCR

Posts: 10 | Registered: August 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff. What's the benefit of the inverted v?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The inverted V design supposedly creates the best of both possible worlds with regard to target and action shooting.

I haven't mounted the sight as I'm going to red dots due to my eyes, even with prescription lenses, taking a nose dive in their ability to focus on the sights & target.

REF:
"It’s unique rear sight notch opens on the bottom to allow in extra light for tactical applications and tightens at the top for greater accuracy. "
http://www.amerigunusa.com/amerigun-sights-system/