SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Decock version of CZ Shadow 2? Edit: Bought the Shadow 2.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decock version of CZ Shadow 2? Edit: Bought the Shadow 2. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Or close? I want a Shadow 2 for USPSA Production but that requires manually lowering the hammer. I’m not comfortable with that idea, yet anyway, so I’d like a similar gun that can be decocked.

What would be the closest CZ?

Went ahead and bought the Shadow 2 so I’ll become comfortable. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
SP01 Tactical would be the closest.
Why are you not comfortable with lowering the hammer? I've never seen nor heard of anyone in my club having this issue and it' how thousands of Shadow 2 users stage their pistols.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
WHY do You manually have to lower the hammer?

You can not engage the safety and start that way? I don't shoot any of the combat games, so not familiar with their rules.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could be completely wrong, but I think it's intentional that it has no decocker due to the IPSC rules:

"Some pistols on the approved Production Division list do not have a de-cocking lever. Are they acceptable?

Yes. All DA/SA pistols without a decocking lever must start with the hammer fully down."

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

You can not engage the safety and start that way? I don't shoot any of the combat games, so not familiar with their rules.

FN in MT

You can roll cocked and locked if you want to shoot it in limited. No idea why the rules were written that way.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
to the OP's question, you are not going to get near a Shadow 2 in terms of trigger from any of the offerings with a decocker and a firing pin block.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

FN in MT

You can roll cocked and locked if you want to shoot it in limited. No idea why the rules were written that way.

Thanks...All the Rules in these games...and how they vary...surprises me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
USPSA Production rules state to start with hammer down. I’d like to try a heavier metal framed gun, currently using a Glock.

If I decide to switch divisions to Limited, I’d probably go with a 2011 platform gun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've seen one person have a problem decocking, I had to DQ a friend at Area 8 last year. He was tired and got sloppy. He's been shooting CZ's for years and it was the first time he'd ever done it.

When I got my Shadow I went to the range and practiced decocking, normal thumbing it down. I did it faster and faster until it was just stupid sloppy fast before I finally dropped a round. (unlike people claim, nothing horrible happened to my hand or thumb)

I switched to "pinching" the hammer between my thumb and index finger and have never had an issue. Just use your head and take your time.

Note that if you shoot high thumbs or thumbs forward, you can have an issue with the decocked. Slightly depressing it with your thumb and causing the gun to not fire.

I may also be remembering wrong, but I thought there was something with them not being able to have the same quality trigger job? I believe they still have the firing pin block which the Shadows don't, so that's part of it, but there may be more.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Looks like I’ll get comfortable with it. Just picked up the Shadow 2 in black!

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Great choice!
When decocking remember to only let the hammer drop to the half cock position rather than all the way down to the firing pin. They are different from Sigs that way.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice! You will love it. One of the first things they used to teach in the military when they used to issue 1911s was how to set the hammer down. I personally never experieced a decocker until 2010 when I got my 226. I can see your hesitancy if you never had to drop a hammer slow.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Great choice!
When decocking remember to only let the hammer drop to the half cock position rather than all the way down to the firing pin. They are different from Sigs that way.

After some dry work, it occurred to me that was the case. I had been holding the trigger too long and trying to ease the hammer all the way down. The videos and such that I had seen didn’t show that very well.

I’ve always been told to never lower the hammer manually. Of course it was mostly with a 1911 so I was very hesitant, but now that I understand how to better, I’m not overly concerned.

It shoots great and the trigger is very nice! It’s too bad my new P225 doesn’t have the same double action feel.

The wind was pretty stout today so no chrono work but the gun shoots well with my 147gr hand loads. I’ll check more either indoors or on a calmer day

Thanks!

Picture of zen_grasshopper
posted Hide Post
In USPSA Production you have to fully decock a Shadow 2, it cant be on the half cock notch, only guns with decockers that decock to the half cock can start there.

Watch this video from Yong Lee. https://youtu.be/neoaoZh9lKE

With this method your thumb is in the way of the hammer and you roll it out which gives a controlled release and once the hammer is about 1/4 of the way released there is not enough inertia to get the gun to go off. I have tested it quite a bit. Safer than pinching the hammer, or riding the hammer down as your thumb can slide off.

My .02, from a USPSA Production Master that has run CZs for the last several years.

Jon

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucious

Posts: 42 | Location: South Dakota, United States | Registered: April 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Great choice!
When decocking remember to only let the hammer drop to the half cock position rather than all the way down to the firing pin.

As stated above, not the legal start condition for USPSA Production.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Halfcock is technically an illegal start position unless something has changed. I used the thumb roll technique back when I CZ’d. It doesn’t take much work to get used to it. You made the right choice vs buying a decocker version.

Edit: nothing has changed.

Edit again: gotta be quick on the post around here

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Wow, thank you!

I will say the thumb roll is much better on the CZ than my the P220 or USP 45 I was testing this on.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Now for some LOK grips, mags and holster. Maybe a green front sight rather than the red.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's the decocker CZ's that don't drop to full down... that is the legal condition for them and only them.

I don't know if that was ever put in print (rule book) but it was a DNORI ruling in 2015, if not before.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
All set. I picked up a ComTac holster, some Ghost mag pouches, put a green FO on the front and a lighter mainspring kit.

Gun shoots great, the operator needs some work. If the weather would quit canceling the match I’d get to test it for real.

I’m tempted to try Limited class and see how I do. I may buy another CZ just for Limited and this one for Production.