SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grail gun find today, S&W 617
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grail gun find today, S&W 617 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
In Alaska 2 days and I already bought a gun. Ww went over to check out Wild West Guns and the cool things they do with Marlin lever actions. Yes, their guide gun stuff is way cool. But in the used case a Smith & Wesson 617, stainless, 4" barrel, 10 shot steel cylinder, pre lock revolver.

Crap! I'm in Alaska, still have an Arizona driver's license, how do I make this happen? Shop employee offered to let me put money down and hold it until I get everything taken care of. I could;t get my wallet out fast enough. I've been looking for one of these for years!

Pics when I finally get to pick it up.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Do you mean 617?

Does Phred still work there?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Do you mean 617?

Yes, you're right, 617. I was thinking 17 being 6" and 18 being 4". No idea if Phred still works there. We were just a couple of kids in a candy store walking around looking at everything.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
You're gonna love it. It is a favorite of mine.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
go to speedbeez and get the speed loader and tray. 617 in 4" is what i recomend most folks pick up for their first gun.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Do you mean 617?

Yes, you're right, 617. I was thinking 17 being 6" and 18 being 4". No idea if Phred still works there. We were just a couple of kids in a candy store walking around looking at everything.

No, 617's came in all different lengths. 617 is stainless. 17 is blued and came in different lengths.

2000Z-71 Just have them ship the gun straight to an FFL in Arizona, should be no problem if they ship it FFL to FFL and you don't take possession until you pick it up when you're back home.

OR, if you moved to Alaska, just go get an Alaskan drivers license real quick...… check out what qualifies for residence status, generally it's a lease (or owning a home) and a few utilities in your name to an Alaska address.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
go to speedbeez and get the speed loader and tray. 617 in 4" is what i recomend most folks pick up for their first gun.

Yes, this is a great accessory for anyone with a 617.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Yes, this is a great accessory for anyone with a 617.

I'll third that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About a month ago I found same one in gun library at Cabelas. Unfired, $729.00.
Wasn't sure about its uniqueness of how many they made etc.. But I snapped it up and it's now my favorite revolver

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I really wish I had chosen a 4" all those years ago when I got mine, but the 6" was much cheaper. 4" is definitely better utility.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome find. LOVE IT.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I really wish I had chosen a 4" all those years ago when I got mine, but the 6" was much cheaper. 4" is definitely better utility.

I picked up a pristine 8 3/8" 6 shot that was in perfect condition with target grips, hammer, trigger, no lock etc with the box and everything at a gun show for $300. I shot it and not only was it boringly accurate, it was so heavy and front heavy I hated shooting it. I ended up selling it on here like a year after buying it for $600

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great find, Have the 6" pre-lock 10 round (prefer over 4").

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Nice find. I would prefer the 4" over the longer barreled 617s I come across.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a 4 in no lock for 569 about 2 yr ago and left with out it . I kick myself . Also had a 4in Colt D/B 22 in my hand for 499 I passed and it took about a month for them to sell it . You can not buy them all .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Nice find! This was one of my grail guns too and when I found my (for about $600.00), I snapped it up as quick as possible. In CA, these are exceptionally rare since residents can't lawfully "import" used handguns purchased from residents of other states if they aren't on our Department of Justice "approved" list. Now that I'm a resident of AZ, I don't have that problem. My only concern is controlling my urge to buy handguns that I only rarely saw offered in my former home state!

Here's a pic of my 617 with a Model 17-6 that was left to me by my late father. Both are nice shooting .22 revolvers, but I just had to dress up the stocks on both to do them honor!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I bought one for my wife to shoot . we both liked shooting it so much 1 was not enough , I have not bought speed bee's yet but they are the want list.

Posts: 1602 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Great addition. You must have a reliable .22 in your mix.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice.

I'd like to find a 4" version, myself.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking for one since I first shot one 5 years ago in my CCW class. They don’t come up very often, and when they do, they aren’t cheap. I was about 5 minutes late on a listing for one at $400 a few years back. Still looking..... Nice score!!

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post