SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which W. German Classic Sig do you think is worth more?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which W. German Classic Sig do you think is worth more? Login/Join 
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted
So given the poll choices only, how would you rank these Classic Sigs? Which one do you think is worth the most? Just curious what value you would put on each if you feel like posting a reply and playing. This is not a for sale thread, but in the end my early guess is I am going to shock a lot of people with, as Paul Harvey would have said, the rest of the story.

All numbers matching, all fired, but all less than 200 rds. None of them Ni versions.

Question:
Which if these W. German classics is worth the most?

Choices:
1994 P220, orig. plastic case and manual, 3 mags, no bags, no target
1993 P226, orig. cardboard box and manual, one orig. 15rd. mag, no bags, no target
1991 P228, orig. cardboard box with everything, bags, 2 13rd. mags, target, warning hang tag

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'd pick the 1994 P220 because it has 3 magazines and they are illusive when chambered in 38 Super.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t see anything that says the chambering?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
226 and 228 9mm. 220 .45 Can’t edit or it removes poll.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2Malamutes,

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
From what I’ve seen the P228 has reached cult status. The others are fantastic pistols but people aren’t scrambling to buy every one they see.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Surely the 220 (and three mags) are the rarest option on the list?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Does the P220 have a heel mag release or the American button release? 9mm P220 mags are relatively expensive but the button release ones more so, maybe enough to push the value of the 9mm P220 package above the "cult" P228.

P228s have a very large following but there are plenty around and unless it is NIB or nickel I personally don't think a P228 is worth that much more than the other models.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
Does the P220 have a heel mag release or the American button release?

Button release, also 220 was .45, my fault, in hospital with son trying to tutor school and brain lapsed

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which one do you think is worth the most? Just curious what value you would put on each if you feel like posting a reply and playing. This is not a for sale thread, but in the end my early guess is I am going to shock a lot of people with, as Paul Harvey would have said, the rest of the story.

I don't think anyone is going to be shocked by what you are going to reveal. What you paid for each of them is not the same as what others will pay. Different folks value things differently, based on their needs and preferences. For me, it's going to be the P228. The P220 in 9 is worth very little to me, as I have no interest in it. That P226, as described, is worth $550 top to me, and that is if I were desperate.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
228 easily. My latest SIG was an excellent condition Browning BDA, and it was the least expensive P series in the shop. People don’t have taste anymore.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't need a poll to answer the question. From what you've described, the P228 will bring the highest market price of the three. So what's the rest of the story? I'll go ahead and guess you stumbled onto them dirt cheap from somebody who had no idea what any of them were worth.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jam0
posted Hide Post
My top choice would be the P226, next the P228, then the P220. My guess is that the results may simply turn out to be model popularity. Almost everyone values what they have the most and hopes a seller will value what they want the least.

Posts: 20 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I voted the 228 because of the cardboard box and being complete.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I don't think anyone is going to be shocked by what you are going to reveal. What you paid for each of them is not the same as what others will pay. Different folks value things differently, based on their needs and preferences. For me, it's going to be the P228. The P220 in 9 is worth very little to me, as I have no interest in it. That P226, as described, is worth $550 top to me, and that is if I were desperate.

I was not the buyer, but rather the seller, never said anything about what I paid. It is funny you mention value and how individuals value things differently, for instance PROTO-1 would have no more value to me than any other classic SIG, nor would a JJ 228 be worth any more to me than a JK, so your point is of course accurate and brings into play subjectivity. I amassed some duplicity over the years in W. German Sigs, nothing even remotely close to you, but 2 of everything I decided was one too many when I saw what people were paying for, at least based on the replies in this thread, rather mundane models in terms of "collectibility".

So I sent the 3 off on consignment to one of the places you actually referred another member to in their thread, as the market value based on a national auction site is quite disparate to the Sig forum "value". So you may be right, no one may be shocked that the P220 sold for over $2100, no one may be shocked the 226 sold for over $1800, and while I don't believe either of those do not elicit any surprise, I do believe that one might not be shocked to learn the 228 went for a little over $1200. I was shocked, I did not expect to gross over $5250 for those 3. I am very pleased with their value as determined by a nationwide marketplace, as every single person reading this knows I would have been laughed off the forum had I posted those guns at those prices here, particularly the 220 and 226.

Had I not had nicer duplicates I would never have sold them, but I certainly have no regrets, and I imagine I'm not the only one who, in this crazy market right now, may be moving some things. Of course I bought 3 other guns to replace them, but they were ones I didn't already have, so it certainly worked out for me.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Eek

What is the auction site, and how much is their consignment fee?

I'll admit, as much as I like W German Sigs, I wouldn't have paid (or advised a potential buyer to pay) $2100 for all three of them.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Call me shocked.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Eek

What is the auction site, and how much is their consignment fee?

I'll admit, as much as I like W German Sigs, I wouldn't have paid (or advised a potential buyer to pay) $2100 for all three of them.

So I used Eastwoods Arms, as I mentioned, it was 12131 that mentioned him to another member here, and Jon was great to work with. His listings get a great deal of hits, and he is very adept at marketing in the listing. His 10% of the hammer price consignment fee is extremely reasonable, and I would certainly recommend him. He runs the auctions for 2 weeks, starting at a penny, and as I said, I was shocked and ecstatic with the final tally.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2Malamutes,

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Jon is great to work with. Fantastic and honest pictorial presentation of your firearms that is the best in the industry, imo. Some other well known sellers will try to hide scuffs and scratches with clever lighting angles, but Jon hides nothing. Oh, and his 10% consignment fee is the best (lowest) in the industry.

Congratulations, OP. Cool

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did not vote in your poll, because the 225 is my favorite.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I would never pay those prices, but if that's the market I'm a lot richer than I thought I was if I ever have to sell stuff. I tried to find eastwood arms, but either my googlefu is weak today or something. Can one of you show me it?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post