SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone shoot a FN ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shoot a FN ?? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
A couple of months ago, I was reading an article on the Army hunt for a new sidearm. The choices narrowed down to the Sig P320, the Glock 19X, the Beretta 92, and a FN 509. In this article, the author recreated all of the Army tests on his own. For him, the FN was the clear winner in EVERY catagory, with the exception being "price point".

Fast forward a few weeks, and I find myself walking out the gun store door with a new FN 509. And the more I shoot this gun, the more I like it. Last week, I shot a 2 day, 800 round defensive shooting course and the 509 was absolutely flawless. (There were a few G19's, a G19X, and the rest of the guns were Sig 226's with the DAK trigger).

Anyway, I've developed a newfound respect for the FN line. I think that after my Sig 365 comes in, my next gun will be a FN 9C.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a FN9C in FDE. Unbelievable trigger right out of the box,er zippered case (and I admit to being a trigger snob).

Excellent accuracy at 21 feet. Liked it so much, I ordered several more of the pinky extension mags and a holster for it. Will definitely be in the EDC rotation.

Posts: 102 | Location: Mentor, OH | Registered: March 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I'll pick the G19X over the 509 every time, but that's primarily due to the way I'm wired. I've shot both but my decades with Glocks definitely colors my choice. Ignoring Glocks, I even prefer my FNS9 over the 509; the smaller predecessor just nestles into my wheelhouse better. Then there's the aspect of support when it comes to FNH products. I vehemently dislike dealing with the hideous nature of FN customer service. Talk about a company that rarely if ever gives a shit about their civilian customers.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
FN’s fly under the radar. The only downside is the high cost of new magazines and their CS is reminiscent of Hk’s civilian support in the 90’s, non existent and unabashedly despicable.
That said, I own a few, one a 509. Both have been solid, flawless performers and tear completely down easier then Glocks. Some don’t care for the hinged (m&p) trigger design but I would dare Those folks to put a few hundred rounds downrange and not say they were impressed with their results. The Ergo’s work too, the 9c is my EDC...

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a FNS9 for awhile and it was a very good shooter. Way nicer trigger then any Glock I had ownned. The cost of spare magazines was a drawback, but that's about it.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a FNP-9 for years. It was my first pistol purchase and I still really like it. It does great with a streamlight on the rail.
The striker fired FNS (or FNS-C) are really tempting, but I've got glocks to compete with those. I think probably the FN is just as good or better, but all the mag interchangeability is appealing. Also- it seems like the glock 19 is its own type of currency in a weird way.

Posts: 295 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had my FNS-9 for about three years and I would guess I’m approaching 3,000 rounds on it. I haven’t had any problems with it.

Every time a new striker fired compact-ish gun is released I end up trying it. G17/19 Gen 5, VP9, P-10C, M&P 9 Compact 2.0, P320 (with both compact and carry grips). The only ones I can think of that I didn’t buy are the Walther and the FN 509. I’ll probably end up with a 509 at some point, but it’s hard to imagine it’s enough of an upgrade over the FNS for me.

I keep going back to the VP9 and the FNS after the newness wears off of a purchase. I think the FNS is a great gun, and the 509 is probably at least as good. I’ve heard FN customer service blows but have no experience with that. I haven’t needed HK’s customer service either. Or anyone else’s because I keep selling the others off.

Posts: 29 | Registered: September 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have and FNS-9C FDE. Fantastic pistol. 100% reliable, real accurate and i can carry it in 3 different mag/grip modes. It replaced my G26 as a carry gun after i hit around the 1,000 round mark with it. The FNS compacts are real good guns.
I have also now owned and traded 2 509's. Between the 2 i probably fired around 3,000 rounds. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They were reliable 100%, accurate, fit great in my hand, but i just couldn't figure out what they gave me over my 2 G19x's which i absolutely love. I think the 509's are very good pistols. In that size category they just were not my favorite.
I am very impressed with FN pistols.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a brief test/review of 9 striker fired polymers, and was kind of surprised by my results. I expected to like the PPQ best, then the VP9. As it turned out, the only two I wanted to shoot more were the P320 and the FNS. This was right before the 509 hit the market. I say I was surprised because the Walther and HK felt best in my hands, and the PPQ has the best trigger. I wasn't impressed with the feel of the P250, and obviously the P320 is the same grip. The FNS is pretty spartan. But something about the way they feel shooting them was very pleasant.

So the 509 is on my list of "next to buy."

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Been happy with my 509, 400rds,no hick ups and comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn- after reading this I remember how much I want a fns-c in fde. Hmmm trade a g26 for it or just add it to the rotation...

Posts: 295 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a FDE FNS-C 9mm after looking at a lot of guns at the NRA meeting last year. I liked the way it looked and felt better than anything else and it came with three magazines.
My purpose was to shoot it in IDPA's Concealed Carry Division since recent rule changes had made my CZ P-07 too big.
I out Sevigny Competition rear and FO front on it and bought a few extra magazines and I was ready to go.
It was a sweet shooting gun and I never had a minutes trouble with it. I shot it in several competitions and did well with it.
The problem was the way part of your grip is the magazine and it made dropping the magazine in a hurry difficult as it took some manipulations to get your palm out of the way.
It was a really good gun and would not hesitate to recommend it. The 509 is supposed to be even better if you want a full size gun.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

A picture,I hope,with the extended magazine.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Watch the review of this by Hickok45....he is so impressed...he talks about going to this over his Glock.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The FNS & 509 are well designed. They point point more naturally for me than Glocks. The polymer formulation has been upgraded from past series & is robust. They disassemble rather easily and the design is both admirable and simplistic. The sights are solid and trigger improves with usage. The reliability of my FN’s have been impressive. I enjoy the 9c, I’d like to see FN make a single stack variant. My only peeve with FN is their poor CS ( which I’ll probably never have to rely upon) and their pricing of new magazines. It’s good to live in the golden age of pistol manufacturing...

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an FNX in .40. It's my favorite bedside HD pistol (G23 is 2nd.)

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post