SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does anyone here carry a G42 in an ankle holster?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone here carry a G42 in an ankle holster? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
...or a pistol similar in size/weight?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I do on rare occasions. Usually a business mtg where I don't want to wear a jacket. No issues with it, but I know it will take a while to get to. I also carry that way in inner city hospitals when I go in on call late at night. Scrubs are tough for concealment otherwise. I hope I never have to do the kneel and draw. The 42 works well for that mode, but I prefer pocket or aiwb when I can.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried a Ruger LC9 and LC9s - the biggest problem so far is finding a GOOD holster that isn't connected to the strap with a narrow stitch so that it would be more stable.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I am actually giving it serious thought.

The advertised loaded weight of the G42 is about 17 oz +/-. The Glock 26 is about 28 oz +/- loaded. My M&P that I currently carry weighs in at more than a Glock 19, around 33 oz loaded.

For general comfort, running in uniform, etc, I think that the 42/43 is the way to go. It is going to be much closer to the days of carrying an airweight Smith. I looked night before last at Galco, and they offer the ankle glove for both. I've just got to get off by butt and pick one up, I guess. The good holster is the key, and I think the Galco Ankle Glove is tops.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a Galco Ankle Glove Lite for my LCP and the Ankle Glove for my J-frames.

While the LCP conceals just fine, the excess 'stuff' that finds its way into an ankle holster has led me to only ankle carry J-frames and clean the holster / weapon daily. Also the revolver shape contours better to the leg / ankle than a flat pistol, as odd as that sounds.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to rock a 642 in an ankle holster as an on duty backup gun. Initially a Bianchi nylon I've and later a Galco Ankle Glove. I suspect the weight is similar, but I can see a real advantage to the thinner single stack Glock. It was comfortable enough to wear on 12 hour shifts and really stayed in place great with a boot on. Was still pretty good with a lower cut shoe. Got in a decent number of foot chases with it and never lost it.

I quit using the ankle rig after I went through two creeks on a dog track and submerged the gun both times.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I occasionally carry a G33 in a Galco ankle glove as a BUG to my G31. So long as I don't wrap the velcro strap too tightly around my ankle I don't have any problems. Ankle high hiking shoes help support the weight making it more comfortable.

Posts: 57 | Location: South west Mississippi | Registered: April 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several ankle holsters the Gallo is the best by Farr I think. I carry a PM 9 don't know it's on after 30 minutes.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Glock 42 has seen only pocket carry. I have carried a Glock 26 in an ankle holster since late '95 with great success. First as a back-up while on duty, and now in retirement. My guess is the little 42 would be barely noticeable carried in this manner.

Posts: 267 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I carry a Glock 27 on my ankle every duty day and have for over 11 years now. Still using the same Desantis ankle holster from day one. That thing flat does not move. 1st couple foot pursuits I thought I was playing skip it, felt like my left leg was flailing all over the place.

Next month we are switching to 17s as our duty weapon. I am contemplating dropping down to the 43 for ankle carry and off duty carry.
Only thing keeping me going towards the 26 is mag sharing.

Not sure if you are contemplating this for primary carry or as a back up.
I don't particularly like ankle carrying as my primary means of carry and have only done it on very few occasions.
To be comfortable for me at least I have to have a nice high boot. I have done it in a suit a few times but really needed a thick sock not the typical thin dress sock.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Q83
posted Hide Post
I carry a G43 in a Galco Ankle Lite. I originally purchased it for my XDS, but the G43 fits great. Very comfortable, conceals extremely well. Never had any issues.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
ISRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry my XDS in a De Santis Monday thru Friday for about 15 months now. Only issue is exposure while sitting.

Posts: 255 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Since I bought my Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm I have carried it a lot in a ankle holster. I have about worn out my Gould & Goodrich ankle holster. I have had minimal issues considering I have very thin ankles. I have a DeSantis N81 neoprene double mag ankle holster which is very comfortable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4859,

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of testfire
posted Hide Post
I have carried a Ruger LCP in a Galco ankle lite holster every weekday for the past 2 years without issue. Any specific questions? Black dress pants, black socks, black ankle holster, black LCP. Besides co-workers that actually go shooting with me, people don't have a clue. Smile

Posts: 386 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: May 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've carried a Glock 26 as an ankle gun every work day for the last 6 years. I carry it above an 8" boot in a Galco Ankle Glove. It conceals well, is very stable, and after the first week or so, I stopped even noticing it was there. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit slow to draw from under the pant leg, but overall it's a decent location for deep concealment or a backup. I would definitely think that a G42 would be a fine candidate for ankle carry.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I've carried a Glock 26 as an ankle gun every work day for the last 6 years. I carry it above an 8" boot in a Galco Ankle Glove. It conceals well, is very stable, and after the first week or so, I stopped even noticing it was there. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit slow to draw from under the pant leg, but overall it's a decent location for deep concealment or a backup. I would definitely think that a G42 would be a fine candidate for ankle carry.

Agree and with the galco ankle glove.

I carry this way most of the time now. Glock 26.

Works well with staight leg, boot cut pants.

Slower than IWB but you still pass rule #1

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Agree and with the galco ankle glove.

I carry this way most of the time now. Glock 26.

Works well with staight leg, boot cut pants.

Slower than IWB but you still pass rule #1

I have ankle carried a little (a P290), and whole heartedly agree on the boot cut straight leg jeans. Or cord pants. Dress pants and many khakis if I sat down I'd show holster and if breezy outside, the rig would print. I took to keeping my feet crossed if sitting in an open setting to help hide it. Like 4859, I use a G&G ankle set up mostly; sometimes a Galco model.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I've have 3 different ankle holsters.
Usually have either the G43 with flush bottom mag in a Desantis Apache, the G26 in a Galco Anklelite, or the Kahr CM9 in a Rithie Gunleather rig.

The Desantis Apache is a ballistic nylon construction with a thin elastic band that has Velcro closure and a sheepskin pad. It works well, but there is a little plastic loop/clip for attaching a calf support band and it's freaking annoying. I cut that little loop off and it's more comfy. Depending on how you position the holster, the thumb break tab was poking my calf. It's got a metal liner to provide rigidity so I just bent it and it works great.

The Galco Annnnklelite is basically the same as the Desantis, but the elastic band is more of a spongy soft material which is thicker than the Desantis. It's much more comfortable (IMO). The pic below is of a G27 in a Galco Anklelite.

The Ritchie is a leather construction opentop rig which is beautiful. It's tightly boned to the shape of the CM9 and very comfortable. But- it's not an elastic band style, just a strap which you cinch tight. If I'm wearing mid-height boots it works great since the top rim of the boot supports the bottom of the holster and it stays put nicely. But if you have low shoes on (dress shoes) then the holster tends to slip down over the ankle.

PARA- I have an extra Desantis Apache for a G42 if you want it. Just send me shipping address and I'll get it out in the mail as a gift.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...or a pistol similar in size/weight?

Not a 42, but I've got about 3 solid years of G26 ankle carry. That's 5 days a week, 10 hours per day.

I tried a Galco Ankle Glove briefly, but found the neoprene gave too much flex for my liking. I went back to an Alessi almost immediately. For me, the key to ankle carry for a heavier pistol is that the holster has to stay rigid on your leg. The Alessi (and also the Skip Ritchie version that I have as a spare) are as good as it gets.

I will agree with other posts that jeans tend to work better for me than dress pants. Dockers and such tend to hang up on the backstrap from time to time. Jeans have enough material weight to stay down and provide cover.

I also previously carried a 642 in an Alessi for 15 years.

Posts: 329 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I started off carrying a S&W 36 in an ankle holster. I don't remember the brand but it was leather, including the strap. I really didn't care for it, but there weren't many choices in the 80's.

I have carried a P230, P239, P224 and P290 in a Galco ankle glove. I have never had an issue carrying in this manner.

With the mod. 36, P230 and P239, I didn't have to worry. They were BUGs and uniform pants were quite loose around the ankle.

I sold off all the pistols but the P290 and P224.

Now, after retirement, with the P224 I need to be careful of what jeans I buy. They can't be too tight at the ankle.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post