SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tidbits about the M9A3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tidbits about the M9A3 Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
In case it hasn't already been mentioned:

For those who pined about the gun in black, apparently Beretta was listening. A source at another gun shop passed along that his rep showed a pic of the M9A3 in black, for all of you that never understood why the FDE SCAR 17S is what it is... Wink

Oh, and all M9A3 production is now back in Italy. Apparently the poor guys in Tennessee are just having problems getting up to speed. Word is that when Beretta made the move from Maryland, they lost a lot of talent that really preferred living where they were at.

FWIW, also apparently the guys in Italy forgot how the make the FDE M9A3; the rep mentioned to my source that they TOO were having QC issues with the finishes on the gun. Perhaps it's just as well that the black version is coming out...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, look forward to seeing one. Compact version is what I'd really be hoping for...so was there any word on the Compact Inox?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Would be interested in a black Italian made M9A3.

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the M9a3, especially how it feels in hand. My M9a1 does the job. And with my .mil experience is more natural for me. But I do see the Sig on the horizon calling for me. =p

Posts: 26 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: March 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Maybe in 3 years or so we will see them.

I still don't understand the whole plant move issue, it's been a long time. More than enough to have trained personnel making quality pistols by now.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I just got a 92A1 and glad they are all Italian bred.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the problem at Beretta is not staffing but lack of demand for their products. For a company with hundreds of years experience they have lately been selling oddball designs like the ARX100, Nano, etc., which have not done well in the marketplace. Maybe they became complacent with the 92/M9 contract and forgot to stay ahead of trends rather than playing catch-up and then putting out poorly selling guns.

The guns they do sell are poorly supported with promised accessories never being produced due to the excuse of the move to Tennessee, i.e., the ARX100 .300 Blackout conversion barrels and SBR barrels.

Posts: 25 | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a new one and it was US made for better or worse. The finish on the M9A3 and a recently purchased Glock 19x are battling each other for the prize of worst.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
In case it hasn't already been mentioned:

For those who pined about the gun in black, apparently Beretta was listening. A source at another gun shop passed along that his rep showed a pic of the M9A3 in black, for all of you that never understood why the FDE SCAR 17S is what it is... Wink

Oh, and all M9A3 production is now back in Italy. Apparently the poor guys in Tennessee are just having problems getting up to speed. Word is that when Beretta made the move from Maryland, they lost a lot of talent that really preferred living where they were at.

FWIW, also apparently the guys in Italy forgot how the make the FDE M9A3; the rep mentioned to my source that they TOO were having QC issues with the finishes on the gun. Perhaps it's just as well that the black version is coming out...

M9A3 production is still happening at the Gallatin facility. Beretta has added inventory into the sales pipeline with additional production in Italy.

Both the recent Gallatin and Gardone M9A3’s have had serious QC issues. Malformed 1913 rails, chipping/cracking finish, poorly staked ejectors, inconsistent trigger feel, and wildly different finishes. The latest Italy made guns have a rose gold look to the lower, which is quite ugly vs the grey color of the us made guns. Cerakote tint on the barrels and slides differs a lot between USA and Italy.

Frankly I think for the price, the qc issues are inexcusable, especially since Beretta being the company that it is (previously survived by DOD contracts) does not warranty cosmetic defects.

While I think the M9A3 could have been a great gun. For the same money a Sig Legion or a WC Beretta is a far better choice. Much higher fit and finish for roughly the same investment.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I was tired of waiting so I made my own.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's pretty sweet. What is the slide finish and who did it if you don't mind me asking ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
black cerakote done by Midwest Gun Works

Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new Tenn. made M9A3 back in November 2017. Build quality seems to be at least as good as any other pistol I have purchased from any other major gun manufacturer.

The barrel, slide and frame are all different colors, but I am not bothered by that.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
black cerakote done by Midwest Gun Works

I didn't know Cerakote could look that good up close. I thought it was only for hard use rifles etc. Very nice. Thanks PGT.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yep...the shop has to know what they're doing to mix it properly and apply it properly. It also helps to knock down any high stuff after it cures with a scotchbrite pad for that matte look vs. textured