SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber TLE ii {stainless} opinions appreciated (updated,pic on first page)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber TLE ii {stainless} opinions appreciated (updated,pic on first page) Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
Ive been offered a Kimber TLE ii stainless model in 45acp, with CT laser grips. I know their rep took a hit a few years back. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts you all would share.

(Update) I ended up trading a 300 BO pistol that I put together for the Kimber. I figure I have $600 or so invested. Ill give it a good test drive Friday.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: badcopnodonut!!,

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC - DocSteve was a fan of Kimber products and used one of their products as his carry weapon. Because of other posts here and elsewhere about Kimber I, too, was leery of them. But DocSteve's recommendation carries a lot of weight with me, so Kimbers are back on my okay-to-get list.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Ive been offered a Kimber TLE ii stainless model in 45acp, with CT laser grips. I know their rep took a hit a few years back. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts you all would share.

Offered? For free?

I had one several years ago, bought NIB. It choked several times. You know what they said, you need a 500-round break in. Roll Eyes Well, it persisted well after 500 rounds. So, off it went out the door. The Kimber break in period is just BS, as far as I'm concerned.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Offered? For free?

I had one several years ago, bought NIB. It choked several times. You know what they said, you need a 500-round break in. Roll Eyes Well, it persisted well after 500 rounds. So, off it went out the door. The Kimber break in period is just BS, as far as I'm concerned.

No sir, not free. $900 and fired very little.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber TLE Custom II wearing Crimson Trace grips. I love it. The only problem I had with it was extracting aluminum cased BLAZER.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 644 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I have two KIMBER .45cp pistols. Both bought lightly used, maybe because previous owners didn't want to actually shoot the pistols.

One (Stainless Pro Carry II) has been flawless. The other (Super Carry Ultra HD) had a few initial hiccups with the cheap ammunition I used, but smoothed out to perfection in no time. I would buy another KIMBER should the right one come along, a TLE being one of them.

The TLE models have a good reputation on the KIMBER forum. KIMBER has excellent customer service should that be required.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Ultra Carry at a price I couldn't resist. The seller said it had 750 rounds through it, past suggested break-in, that much more ammo cost saved over new. Zero problems and more accurate than me.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I had a TLE. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it to be reliable. For $900 you can do better.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy went through hell dealing with Kimber. He bought a new Crimson Carry (?) that always choked. I am talking for years, plenty of rounds downrange, new mags, etc. I kept telling him to send it back to them to make it right. They came up with some bullshit excuse of why it wouldn't work. Offered some deal to buy a new frame (they said the old one was damaged and that was the problem). The damage was a small ding on the backstrap. It was aesthetic damage, mainspring wasn't binding, nothing. They basically found a ding and hung their hat on that was why it continually failed to feed, stovepipe, etc. Total bullshit.

I wouldn't give Kimber a dime of my money.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
Took in a Super Ultra Carry + on a trade. Figured I could turn it for a profit. Put about 700-800 rounds through it and it will be one of the last guns I part with now.

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had TLE ll for a time, then sold it. I've read bad buzz on Kimbers, but in fairness it wasn't a bad gun, ran ok, didn't jam, decent accuracy. It just didn't talk to me like some of my other guns do. I recall that the slide on it was very tight, even after a few hundred rounds and ample lubrication.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Not exactly current, but I bought one ~4 years ago and had no issues with it other than the Kimber coating which chipped at the contact points around the trigger guard.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:

$900 is not a deal that would get me off my wallet, even on a lightly used gun, and I'm no tightwad. Buds shows brand new Stainless TLE IIs for $962.

I have owned 4 govt-sized TLE IIs, still own three and one is a stainless. All have been good, including shooting them in IDPA for two years straight and shooting one in bullseye wearing a Nelson .22 upper.

IMO at this pricepoint the Kimber has one of the better out-of-the-box triggers, lighter and crisper than a few other makes I've handled. Other brands (Springfield, etc.) may arguably be better to build and modify long term, if you're into that. Why? Kimber sight cuts are proprietary, not universal or common to other brands, meaning fewer choices. There's the Schwartz safety to consider if you're swapping grip safeties. Etc. Some gunsmiths don't want to work on them.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one, but I wouldn't give you $900 for it used...unless it was a friend deal and you didn't mind paying over fair market value.

The external extractor Kimber tried over a decade ago were hit and miss, but they swapped uppers if you had a bad one. The smaller-sized guns can be sensitive to their springs and are responsible for many of the reliability complaints.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:
quote:

$900 is not a deal that would get me off my wallet, even on a lightly used gun, and I'm no tightwad. Buds shows brand new Stainless TLE IIs for $962.

I have owned 4 govt-sized TLE IIs, still own three and one is a stainless. All have been good, including shooting them in IDPA for two years straight and shooting one in bullseye wearing a Nelson .22 upper.

IMO at this pricepoint the Kimber has one of the better out-of-the-box triggers, lighter and crisper than a few other makes I've handled. Other brands (Springfield, etc.) may arguably be better to build and modify long term, if you're into that. Why? Kimber sight cuts are proprietary, not universal or common to other brands, meaning fewer choices. There's the Schwartz safety to consider if you're swapping grip safeties. Etc. Some gunsmiths don't want to work on them.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one, but I wouldn't give you $900 for it used...unless it was a friend deal and you didn't mind paying over fair market value.

The external extractor Kimber tried over a decade ago were hit and miss, but they swapped uppers if you had a bad one. The smaller-sized guns can be sensitive to their springs and are responsible for many of the reliability complaints.

I agree its not a steal but the Crimson Trace grips add a bit of value to the pistol. Im firmly on the fence about this.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree its not a steal but the Crimson Trace grips add a bit of value to the pistol. Im firmly on the fence about this.

Then, it will be impossible to make a decision. Razz

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Then, it will be impossible to make a decision. Razz

This true Q, and because of that its probably best to forget about this one. Smile

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to chime in.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Offered? For free?

My two experiences were similar. I bought a $1K Kimber Tactical (full size, aluminum frame)...absolutely stunning. It failed to feed the very first round from the very first magazine the very first time I tried to load it at the range. The round was a Federal 230-grain FMJ. It never functioned reliably despite 2 trips back to Kimber and reassurances that it ran without fail back at the factory. I blame the external extractor, which Kimber had significant issues with.

Being a glutton for punishment, 2 years later I bought a stainless Kimber TLE/RLII. Again, I was seduced by the dark side of bling. That 1911 was a supermodel, but it never was reliable, either, even with Wilson Combat magazines.

I'm 0-2 with Kimbers and it took me $2,000 to figure it out. Learn from me. If you want a single stack .45, buy a W. German P220. If you want a single-stack 1911, save your money and buy a Springfield Armory TRP.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In had a pro carry that was the most expensive paper weigh I ever purchased.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I own two,never a problem with either,yes I have shot the hell out of them like most of my guns.
the custom was bought brand new,cause I like shiny things and it was a deep ,pretty blue.
Like it so well and one day in my favorite toy store the owner had bought a large shipment from a state agency that could not handle those big old 1911's.
That one cost me 800 years back.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I am zero and three with Kimber pistols. I did the "Kimber dance" with the first one, a TLE. Shipping it to Yonkers twice, on my dime, only to have it come back exhibiting the same problems I shipped it back for - FTF FTE.

The next two Kimbers I took to local gunsmiths to see if they could get them to run reliably. One gunsmith, who was working on a Stainless Target II for me, told me that I needed an exhorcist not a gunsmith. He finally discovered that the frame was out of spec. Thats why it would only run reliable when using Chip McCormick mags. The follower in the mag sat up a millimeter or two higher.

So after the 3rd problematic Kimber I swore off them. No more. And I still get tempted. I workk part time in a shop that is a Master Kimber dealer. And I never recommend a Kimber semi auto. To anyone. It is a waste of time and money.

Kimber makes very pretty single shot 45s. With nice triggers. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post