SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith and Wesson Model 13 thoughts and experiences
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith and Wesson Model 13 thoughts and experiences Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Is it just the 357 Mag models with the forcing cone issues?

Yes. .38 loads don't stress the gun that much. And the light bullet .357 loads tended to be harder on the forcing cones than heavier bullets.

...Which is why I keep 158gr 357mags in my 66. I'd never do those as a steady diet, but I'm less fearful of a split cone than with the ideal .357mag load, the 125gr.

In fact, I've never shot factory ammo through this gun, always light-to-medium reloads, in .357 cases. I want this gun to last forever.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
As others stated, check the forcing cone for any cracks or damage. You might also see some flame cutting but I've never had any issues and mine has some.

Here's mine that I picked up a year or two ago. This is an older pic as she now wears Hogue grips.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
3" K frame fixed sight round butt in .357 or .38 is the bees knees for a fighting revolver IMO.

Regular revolver stuff. Check to make sure unloaded of course and cock it. Push on back of cocked hammer and see if the hammer will release without touching the trigger (Push off).

Look for a cracked forcing cone.

If it is over all "loose" or worn. Worn finish is a good bargaining point if the mechanicals are good.

Here is my 65 (same thing but stainless) to help push you over the edge.

A perfect K-frame. Who made the stocks?

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine...

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xray 99:

A perfect K-frame. Who made the stocks?

Hogue checkered bantam rosewood laminate.

https://www.hogueinc.com/k-or-...ose-bantam-checkered

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
A 3 inch 13-3 was the last revolver I qualified with. Right before revolvers were banned as primary duty guns.

Mine is DAO with a spurless hammer and an action job. One slick, smooth carry gun. Potent too.

Everything you need in a revolver and nothing you don't. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always regarded the 3” 13 one of my grail guns. If I ever come across one I will scoop it up for sure. I detest stainless and only would be willing to buy blue, while not at all common, it does seem you see far more 3” stainless guns than blued. There were limited numbers of 3” model 10’s made as well, but they are even less common than 13’s I think.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the stainless versions, the 65, with 3" barrels. Great carry guns.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post

13-3 top, 65-5 bottom.

Excellent carry pieces!

Shoot well too!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Imshootin
posted Hide Post
As others have said. Get it while you can. The 13 and 65 3" round butts are highly desirable revolvers. I sold my first 65 wanting something smaller and lighter and wound up regretting it.
Luckily, I had an even nicer one almost fall into my lap a few years later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Imshootin,

Dance like no one is watching.

Posts: 117 | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
GarandGuy, did you buy?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
GarandGuy, did you buy?

Yes sir. Transferred to my buddies FFL. I'm picking it up next week after we take the kids to Disney World.

It's going to need some clean up. I'll post pictures after he follows me home.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 3" HB, RB K frames really benefit from the installation of a pair of Grashorn elk stag stocks.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post