SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith and Wesson Model 13 thoughts and experiences
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith and Wesson Model 13 thoughts and experiences Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I've got a bead on a Smith and Wesson Model 13-3 round-butt with 3" barrel. It's clean in good condition. I was doing some reading and saw that these were FBI type issue revolvers at one time. Any issues with these or things to look out for? Any aficionados here?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's a desirable revolver. Check the bottom of the forcing cone for a crack from excessive use of 125 gr .357 magnum ammo.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3" K frame fixed sight round butt in .357 or .38 is the bees knees for a fighting revolver IMO.

Regular revolver stuff. Check to make sure unloaded of course and cock it. Push on back of cocked hammer and see if the hammer will release without touching the trigger (Push off).

Look for a cracked forcing cone.

If it is over all "loose" or worn. Worn finish is a good bargaining point if the mechanicals are good.

Here is my 65 (same thing but stainless) to help push you over the edge.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
To me 3” k frame round butts of all models are the pinnacle of k frame goodness.

If I run into a 3” 13 it’ll be purchased with no haggling.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
3" K frame fixed sight round butt in .357 or .38 is the bees knees for a fighting revolver IMO.

Regular revolver stuff. Check to make sure unloaded of course and cock it. Push on back of cocked hammer and see if the hammer will release without touching the trigger (Push off).

Look for a cracked forcing cone.

If it is over all "loose" or worn. Worn finish is a good bargaining point if the mechanicals are good.

Here is my 65 (same thing but stainless) to help push you over the edge.

Hot gun, hot grips, hot holster, you are at the top!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Buy it. They are quite desirable and always sell well...should You not like it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's almost a grail gun to some folks.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I'm a 65 fan, simply for the stainless aspect..but a 3" .38/.357 is about the best gun if you could only have one.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about buying one when they were new and easily available, but didn't because of the fixed sights. Bought a 2-1/2" 66 instead.

Every time I see or hear about a 3" 13 or 65 for sale, I kick myself for being STUPID!!! Mad

Get it now or regret it later.

As long as the forcing cone and barrel are OK, it's a safe buy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newtoSig765,

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My model 13 was a very good revolver until the forcing cone split at the 6 O'clock position. We were shooting hot .357 loads. It would still shoot rounds but after we discovered it the revolver wasn't shot any further. Never had any similar kind of problems with my Model 29's, 686, or the 19, but always checked after that, just in case as nothing like that has ever happened before, even using the same loads in the 19. I still to this day glance at the forcing cones in revolvers but haven't ever seen one since.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They would have put in a new barrel... before they ran out of parts.

I think the 3" K-Smith is practically a cult object.
My only complaint is the low front and hog wallow rear sights. There are a couple of shops doing better sights but it really runs the cost up.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great revolvers, I carried a 65-3 3” with 357s for about 18 months. Enjoyed it immensely but got sick of the weight eventually.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jump! The 13, 65, 64, and 10 Heavy barrel are great all round Smiths.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are wonderful guns. Many people would buy one on sight, as you can tell from the comments. They can bring some crazy prices, but the fixed sights and blued steel, will keep the price of a Model 13 more reasonable.

3" K frames in .357 are just so handy. I have a Model 66 with a 3.2" barrel and Hi-viz sights, which was a dealer special. A better revolver is hard to imagine.

Just check for the normal revolver things, as described above. Forcing cone. Check timing and lock up. All of which can be fixed, if you want the gun enough.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Is it just the 357 Mag models with the forcing cone issues?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Yes. .38 loads don't stress the gun that much. And the light bullet .357 loads tended to be harder on the forcing cones than heavier bullets.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

I've been an S&W guy since the 1970's and was in LE carrying the M-19 for about ten years. I have NEVER seen a cracked forcing cone in the flesh. Yes, they do occur.

But I don't think they occur with the frequency suggested on the internet.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I had a 65 for a while as well. Man, I wish I had that thing back.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I've owned a M13 and M65 many years ago (90's), but really didn't shoot them a lot. Traded the 65 for who knows what back then, and a friend and co worker bought the M13 . On both, I loved the factory grips with a Tyler T-Grip installed on both.

The fellow that purchased the 13 soon after put some grotesque Pachmayer grips on it! Confused

To me the Ruger Speed Six and M13/65/10 are about some of the best all around revolvers.

And the Model 547 SW.

美しい犬

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got a bead on a Smith and Wesson Model 13-3 round-butt with 3" barrel.

Not for long unless you put a deposit on it. Somebody else will snag it.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post