SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1984 P226... Found it Bought it Love it
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1984 P226... Found it Bought it Love it Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Glad that all's good! I thought this SN put it in the crack-range, but apparently not.

I know SIG claimed that one in 450 pistols (mud-rail guns) would develop a crack. My PD had nine out of 10 crack (initial SWAT purchase).

Damn. 9 out of 10 is a scary number!!

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
Great find!

As to mags, I can’t speak to your year. But the original mags for my JJ model have Sig Sauer P226 on the side and “P226” on the bottom of the floor plate’s bottom surface (vs on the top of the bottom surface as shown for one of your sets).

Thanks, I suppose the ever changing MO allows us SIG Geeks to discern what came with what... just 4 years later and they are stamping the side. Oh, and I would describe the P226 Stamp on mine as bottom of the plate’s bottom surface...

Yeah, I probably should have used something like “flat edge” and “curved edge”!

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful 226 NMD! Congrats on the nice pick up.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your vintage P226!

I was able to get one of these orange boxed unicorns earlier this year. 'Twas a JD example from 1983 with the white manual.

Also of note, SIG branding or the model of P226 isn't stamped anywhere on either magazine.

Let us know how it goes at the range.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful original condition classic SIG that shows nice honest used (not abused) characteristics. Congratulations!

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the congrats Big Grin

With all the SIGs I have, I think this is the one I am most proud of... no, not my favorite just proud of landing it and yes, she is a beauty. If anyone is interested, I will be posting the extra pair of dovetail mags in Classifieds to recoup just a little of what I had to invest. There were some other goodies that the seller included that, if I don’t find a use for will post as well. Pretty sure there will be some Karma returned to the best group of gun enthusiast I have had the pleasure to associate with.

It’s Friday night... Cheer Y’all.

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Nice P226, great find.
Let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
The infamous P226 mud rail pistols were produced around 1986/1987 within the U135xxx - U157xxx serial number range.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My first handgun was a 228 around that era. I bought it when I turned 21, which was in the early 90’s.

A few weeks later, I bought a NIB 228. Being broke at the time, and covering credit card costs, I foolishly sold the 226. I still have the 228 though. I learned my lesson about selling guns. Eventually I’ll probably pick up another 226.

Nice score!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score. That thing will last a good long time.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
WOW... what a difference a good detail cleaning can make. Spent the day on and off to do a full maintenance and detail cleaning on this beauty.
Every part meticulously cleaned:

Answered last question... Grips are original Big Grin

And to think I was going to get her refinished... forget that noise!

Headed to the range tomorrow!!!

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post

She's even more beautiful after some TLC!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
Your email should be getting a whopper...

Got it, and replied back. Thanks for the assist! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by NMDave
Answered last question...Grips are original Big Grin

SIG hasn't made these old original checkered grips in a long time, and they aren't as commonly found as they were years ago (especially in decent shape), and they will wear with use and time. I'd suggest considering getting a replacement set of grips if you plan on handling or shooting the gun much, and saving the original grips for photo shoots.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
SIG hasn't made these old original checkered grips in a long time, and they aren't as commonly found as they were years ago (especially in decent shape), and they will wear with use and time. I'd suggest considering getting a replacement set of grips if you plan on handling or shooting the gun much, and saving the original grips for photo shoots.[/QUOTE]

HMMM... that sounds like a good idea. I actually have some others I can put on to preserve these as they truly are in great shape... especially considering they are 36 years old.

Dave

posted Hide Post
I think the Hogue G-10 checkered grips are a good compromise. They retain much of that classic look yet work with modern TB spring and hammer strut assy.

I like a “resto-mod” approach to these old 226’s. I added SRT, a Burke SuperStrut & spring, updated TB spring and the above G-10’s. All other springs have been replaced with their current equivalents. I’ve kept the original bar-dot sights and haven’t re-blued the slide (though I’d be willing if needed).

Other than the grips (which visually approach the OEM appearance), the resulting look is original while the underlying parts are essentially current. I consider it to be as new as the 2017-built Classic Carry model that I bought as an adopted grandson.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
U posts done pics of the frame rail. Thanks

Posts: 62 | Registered: May 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick0525:
U posts done pics of the frame rail. Thanks

Yo hablo sprechen zie francais?

English man, English. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Look in to the checkered aluminum grips unless you can find some Black Friday Nills. I like the resto-mod idea as well.

One problem I had with mine was the magazine base plate digs into my finger. They make flush fitting aluminum baseplates that are a much better fit.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Nice P226, great find.
Let us know how it shoots.

Just got back from the range. After 185 flawless rounds down range, shot the last 15 on a fresh target... 5@5yds, 5@7yds, & 5@10yds

All 15 in about a 3 inch group. Not to bad for an old guy on iron sites.

Now, the report...

Check #1 - 200 rounds Sig Sauer 115 gr with no failures
Check #2 - DA and SA function well
Check #3 - Both OG magazines feed solid & slide locks back when emptied

Observations having only SRT and ELS to compare;
While smooth, the DA took a lot of pull
SA was a nice light touch but required more trigger finger movement than I am used to

Thought about an SRT but... not planning on making this my workhorse. It’s more of a awesome fully functional keepsake that my grandson will end up with when I check out down the road.

Final thoughts... I am one super proud Papa. Anyone that loves the SIG P226 like me and interested in the history and lineage, HAS to get one of these! There are several unique differences in these early models compared to the modern ones available now. Gotta say one more time, thanks to everyone here that have helped me learn more about my passion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NMDave,

Dave