SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1984 P226... Found it Bought it Love it
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1984 P226... Found it Bought it Love it Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistol. Glad she worked perfectly for you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Also of note, yours is one of the first pistols to be stamped as 9mm Para instead of 9mm Luger that the earlier models were.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice one.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Also of note, yours is one of the first pistols to be stamped as 9mm Para instead of 9mm Luger that the earlier models were.

Interesting... thanks for the info

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have yet to see any P226 factory barrel stamped with "Luger" on it, including the early ones that I'm familiar with. Any chance it was one of the P220 9mm that were stamped "Luger" and not the P226?

If you have any pics of a P226 Luger marked barrel I'd love to see them.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Kinda thinking it was a P226 from 1984:

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by .38supersig:

This definitely suggests they changed from “Luger” to “Para” sometime in 1984 somewhere in the 1,200 or so produced between ours. I checked but I guess they weren’t indicating a month on the grips back then.

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At least from U110-XXX to after U122-XXX were from 1984.

Thinking your grips were made in March of 1984. Each of the 12 lines surrounding the two digit year represents the 12 months of the year. As each month passed, they would drill into the casting die/mold. This would result in a cavity for the material to fill and result in a raised bump in the final product. Since your grips have three of those bumps, it can be assumed they were cast in March. How long they sat in a bin during production is anybody's guess.

Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least from U110-XXX to after U122-XXX were from 1984.

Thinking your grips were made in March of 1984. Each of the 12 lines surrounding the two digit year represents the 12 months of the year. As each month passed, they would drill into the casting die/mold. This would result in a cavity for the material to fill and result in a raised bump in the final product. Since your grips have three of those bumps, it can be assumed they were cast in March. How long they sat in a bin during production is anybody's guess.

Something new everyday. That makes perfect sense. I noticed the three globs at 1, 2, &3 o’clock but was focused on finding an arrow pointing at a number Roll Eyes

Thanks

Dave

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:

I tried a Google search but didn't come up with any examples so thanks for the pic.

What is interesting to me is that my Tysons Corner JE has an even earlier SN than the Interarms example pictured and it still has the standard "Para" marking, so I'm thinking that the "Luger" marking may be more of an Interarms specific marking rather than based on a SN manufacture time frame.

Does the barrel look like it was jeweled to any one besides myself?

I would think that the Interarms barrel is SIG factory, but I can't help but wonder if it is. I wouldn't think there was much of an aftermarket barrel availability back then, if any at all.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey .38... With one before and one after both labeled Para, your Luger example seems to be the Unicorn. SWEET Big Grin

Dave

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey, I wish it were mine.

I asked the guy who owns it if it was the serialized barrel that came with the gun and he said it was all original.

Guessing there are a few things that show up every now and then that prove interesting.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, I wish it were mine.

I asked the guy who owns it if it was the serialized barrel that came with the gun and he said it was all original.

Guessing there are a few things that show up every now and then that prove interesting.

I checked the other ad pics posted and didn't find any good pictures of the barrel. That barrel still bugs me, especially the wear pattern which just isn't typical of the wear that I'm familiar with. IF it is original to the gun then so be it...and my best guess is that it is some sort of an Interarms anomaly and marking. Somebody got a nice Tysons Corner, but they paid a pretty penny for it.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You may be on to something with the Interarms thing. Maybe they had their batch delivered from a different order (?) in some way.

While checking out some P220s, I had noticed that it seems like all of the Browning BDAs have Luger barrels and Sig P220s have Para barrels.

I have only seen one P220 with a Luger barrel and the guy didn't want to let it go (for sentimental reasons).

Check in to the SRT kit. The install is reversable if it does not suit your needs and the kit can be used across multiple P-series guns.

The grips I have on mine are made by Hogue (26170) checkered aluminum. I had to swap the trigger return spring (Sig sells them separately) to get them to fit, but I think it has to be swapped out anyway for a P226 of this vintage.

The grips look like these:

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may be on to something with the Interarms thing. Maybe they had their batch delivered from a different order (?) in some way.

While checking out some P220s, I had noticed that it seems like all of the Browning BDAs have Luger barrels and Sig P220s have Para barrels.

I have only seen one P220 with a Luger barrel and the guy didn't want to let it go (for sentimental reasons).

Check in to the SRT kit. The install is reversable if it does not suit your needs and the kit can be used across multiple P-series guns.

The grips I have on mine are made by Hogue (26170) checkered aluminum. I had to swap the trigger return spring (Sig sells them separately) to get them to fit, but I think it has to be swapped out anyway for a P226 of this vintage.

The grips look like these:

Good info! It would seem that some early P 22X importers' examples had a few uncommon markings not found on most of the SIG factory imports.

One of the previous owners of my particular Tysons Corner had both the SRT installed and the AEP performed. The SIG SRT is ok, but, honestly I don't find it absolutely necessary and there are better aftermarket alternatives. The AEP is nice and makes more of a subtle but noticeable difference...but, again, there are better aftermarket alternatives, at least based on the one that I had the opportunity to try.

I'm curious, do the Hogue checkered aluminum grips fit these old bushing-framed guns? I didn't think they would.

Oh, and I'm still rockin' the old TBS (which worked with the Hogue rubber grips that came with it when I bought it), but have new style spares ready should it either quit on me or I decide to change to any other grips other than the OEM checkered plastic grips now on it.

posted Hide Post
Nice! I found a Nice 1985 P220 A few years ago.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:
Nice! I found a Nice 1985 P220 A few years ago.

COOL Cool I never would have thought I could be so excited about a 36 year old gun. But damn it is awesome!

Dave

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm curious, do the Hogue checkered aluminum grips fit these old bushing-framed guns?

Sorry to take so long to get back to you about this, but I wanted to make sure before giving an answer I could verify.
I was able to swap the Hogue aluminum grips and the rubber finger grooved wrap around grips onto the bushing equipped frame.
The screw holes are in the same location (unlike the P220) and the holes in the grips are exactly large enough for the bushings to pass through.

Please remember to not over torque the screws as the early threads are tiny.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm curious, do the Hogue checkered aluminum grips fit these old bushing-framed guns?

Sorry to take so long to get back to you about this, but I wanted to make sure before giving an answer I could verify.
I was able to swap the Hogue aluminum grips and the rubber finger grooved wrap around grips onto the bushing equipped frame.
The screw holes are in the same location (unlike the P220) and the holes in the grips are exactly large enough for the bushings to pass through.

Please remember to not over torque the screws as the early threads are tiny.

Hey, thank you for taking the time to not only answer my question but actually confirm it by trying them out on your P226. All this time I just assumed that those grip options from Hogue wouldn't work on these early bushing-framed guns because of both the bushings and that they require a different grip screw size. This opens up some interesting grip options for me to consider!

Thanks for the reminder on not over-torquing these bushing grip screws. Good advice for any P226 owner, but probably even more so for the models threaded into the frame itself.