SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Purchasing a Pre-Owned P220 - Which one of two?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchasing a Pre-Owned P220 - Which one of two? Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I am considering the purchase of a pre-owned P220, and am looking at one that has a s/n prefix of G 250 (1995), and the other is a G 343 (2003) vintage.

Both appear to be in decent shape and asking prices seem to be about right for their condition, etc.

The older one is stamped 'Made in W Germany' with other stamps on the frame, and the other is stamped 'Made in Germany'.

Is one of these more desireable over the other is terms of reliability, functionality, parts availabilty or 'collectability' (this is lower on my list of priorities)?

Also, P220 magazines are 'universal' - correct?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Best Regards,

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am a sucker for mid 90's P-220's. I personally consider those some of the best.

If you placed any more recent (any model) P-220 on a table, along with a 1995 and told me I could have one, I would take the 1995.

IMO, neither is collectable, just damn good shooters.

Parts for both are readily available.

The 2003 may have a rail? If you plane to use a WML, this may be a better fit.

Both should be equally accurate.

There are 7, 8 and 10 round mags available and are interchangable

I'll let others weigh in.

Please let us know what you decide.

Thanks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I too, would choose the 1995 version. I have a few newer 220's but prefer the older more.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
The mid to late 90's Sigs are the ones that I like best, so I'd opt for the KF P220. That said, you can't go wrong with either one of those two guns. Just buy a spring kit from Top Gun Supply, swap out the springs and you'll be good to go.

Steve brings up a good point. The 2003 P220 may have a rail so that may sway you into buying that one if you plan on hanging a light or laser on to it.

Good luck!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the older one.
W German pedigree may offer some future appreciation value.
My humble SIG collection includes P6, P220, P225 and P226 from W Germany, Germany or Switzerland.
All dated from the 80s or 90s.
Just my predilection.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Reliability wise, they will both be the same, no doubt, but the KF P220 it would pick. Some of us are nut about West German SIGs, just because. Cool

Q

Posts: 26368 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your valuable input!

Both are non-railed, which is the 'classic' look that I like for Sigs.

Best Regards,

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If the newer model has a milled stainless slide, with an internal extractor, I would stay away from that one. It was a poor extractor design which SIG finally replaced with an external version. The older stamped, folded slide SIGs with a separate breech block had a captive internal extractor, similar to a 1911. This internal extractor worked well.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post