SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm parabellum cases: Why tapered?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm parabellum cases: Why tapered? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My guess: The cartridge designers thought that the taper would make extraction more reliable. After the first incremental rearward movement, friction between the case and chamber would drop to nearly zero.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MY guess is that 9mm P is tapered so it will run through the same magazine and action as the original 7.65mm.
There was an early prototype 9mm with bottleneck case with straight body.

A straight case on that head diameter takes a 9.2mm bullet... as the Soviets found out.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fwiw, the case for a straight-walled 9mmL.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

Gee, reading that piece gave me the impression that the 9mm para is the worst round ever conceived by man. Flawed since the beginning of time, nosedive after nosedive,... Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the theory, in practice with well-made guns, 9mm reliability isn't a real-world issue.

If the industry standard switched to a straight-wall 9mm I wouldn't care...but I'm certainly not going to have custom chambered Wildcat "9mm Auto" guns. What a PITA.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Btw, I don't remember a 9mmL jamming on me. Ever.

Either it was so horrifying that it was completely erased from my memory banks or it never happened.

ETA: Regarding the memory banks (a/k/a the cloud), age could be a factor too. No SSD there.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

I understand the concept, but 9mm Lugerbellums have been the most reliable pistols I've ever shot...on just about every platform I've tried. All else being equal, it's the gun that determines reliability rather than the cartridge. IMO that dude wasted a LOT of time and energy arguing against a cartridge that has never been more popular since inception. And it's only gained in popularity since his article.

Nevertheless, thank you for posting that link...it was long-winded and fruitless but interesting.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
MY guess is that 9mm P is tapered so it will run through the same magazine and action as the original 7.65mm.

This would be my guess also, Jim, as the P08 Luger uses the same mag whether for 7.65Para, or 9mm Para. My other handguns in 7.65Para also have no problems using 9mm mags.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Didn't the German military get offered the 7.65 only to ask for a larger diameter bullet? If so, necking the case up could've simply been the easiest way to meet that request.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
About 1/4 of the way down the PHD did offer this bit of wisdom:
"Nosedive is an inherent problem in most single stack magazines. Even straight-walled cartridges nosedive, but cartridge taper makes it worse. Nosedive is less problematic in double column magazines, but it depends on specific magazine designs."

All the testing involved a 1911 with a Chip Mc mag and a Diamond Back, sounds a little inconclusive to me.
A solution looking for a problem?
However I lack a PHD.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess would be so that the case bottoms out in Sub gun chambers (which can get sloppy if they've had a lot of rounds through them) and can be extracted easily from very hot subgun chambers....as the taper might leave less surface area of the cartridge against the chamber.....just a guess.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
My guess would be so that the case bottoms out in Sub gun chambers (which can get sloppy if they've had a lot of rounds through them) and can be extracted easily from very hot subgun chambers....as the taper might leave less surface area of the cartridge against the chamber.....just a guess.

Were any sub-machine guns in existence when the 9mm parabellum was designed?

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that I know of.
The 9mm P came out in 1902-1903 and was adopted by the German Navy in 1904. It took the Army until 1908 to catch up, but it did get them the improved coil spring action.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

your guess is correct. A cone shaped cartridge can be pulled easier after fireforming in a chamber then a one with a cylider shape.

The first pistol cartridge fired sub gun was the Italian "Villa Perosa". What we know as sub gun today has not been known before the introduction of the Bergmann 1918 SMG.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
your guess is correct. A cone shaped cartridge can be pulled easier after fireforming in a chamber then a one with a cylider shape.

That seems pretty obvious and I’d bet a nickel that that was the reason for the strongly tapered case of the 7.62×39mm Soviet cartridge. The case design doesn’t matter as much when clean ammunition is used in a clean chamber, but add corrosion, firing residues, environmental mud/dirt/sand/etc., then ….

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post