SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New 220 problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 220 problem Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I took my new P220 to the range today for the first time. After about 16 rounds, I inserted a loaded 8rd magazine, and 'slingshotted' the slide. The slide failed to move all the way forward. When I inspected, I noticed that one round was in the chamber, but it looked like the second round tried to feed as well, and was out of the magazine. I cleared the problem and didn't have any other issues.

Any idea what caused this? This is a brand new pistol, cleaned and lubed, and new magazines.

Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd mark that magazine somehow and I'm taking into account you have extras, and do another range session.
If it happens again, you know it's probably the magazine. If it happens with the unmarked magazine, I'd say pistol issue.
Magazine could be follower, spring or both.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Don't forget the feed lips.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
What ammo?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
What ammo?

Federal 230gr

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
SIG Sauer magazines or after-market?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
SIG Sauer magazines or after-market?

SigSauer magazines - the two that shipped with the pistol.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I hope I know the answer to this question, but does the magazine that had the problem have the small indentations on both sides of the tube at the top rear?

Also, are you sure you allowed the slide to move forward with full speed and force; i.e., you didn’t “ride” it forward?

When you disassemble the magazines to clean them after your session today, check to ensure that both are assembled correctly with the spring in the right orientation and mated to the follower correctly.

In any event, I would not fret about the problem unless it recurs. Definitely pay attention to which magazine you’re using when (mark them with a Sharpie). If it does happen again, I would bet a nickel that it will be with the same magazine. Something you can do now is carefully examine the feed lips of both mags and see if there is any obvious difference. If there is, that’s an indication that it’s magazine-related.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47400 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the small indentations on both sides of the tube at the top rear?

What's the purpose of these indentations?

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sfd10:
quote:

Thanks!

Mine have little cutouts, not indentations. Is that a problem?

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sfd10:
quote:

Thanks!

They keep the "next up" round from moving forward. The indents engage the extractor groove.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info!

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post