SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My Glock 43X doesn't like practice ammo- Should I be concerned?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Glock 43X doesn't like practice ammo- Should I be concerned? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
My 43X jammed multiple times the first few times I shot it. It would eject the spent casing and strip the next round but would stop with maybe a quarter of an inch from going back into battery. The bullet would be halfway in the chamber. I could hit the back of the slide with my off hand and it would go forward. It took some significant force when I hit the slide and this happened every 2-3 rounds. I also noticed if I held the trigger back after a shot the slide would sometimes not go forward all the way until I released the trigger.

I sent the gun back to Glock and I think they replaced the extractor because there was one loose in the box. Today I shot it and still had some problems. It jammed with the bullet in the chamber 3-4 times, including once or twice when I dropped the slide after inserting a magazine. One time the trigger went dead, forcing me to rack the slide enough to reset the trigger before the next shot. The biggest problem though was the slide frequently failed to go back into battery until I released the trigger after a shot. These all happened with 115 grain fmj practice ammo.

When shooting duty ammo (Hornady 135 grain +p Critical Duty) the gun functioned fine. The range instructor with me said he could tell a big difference in how fast the slide moved from the practice ammo to the duty ammo. He did not seem too concerned because it functioned fine with the duty rounds but recommended I try some higher quality practice rounds and shoot a bunch through it.

Should I be worried about carrying the gun if it won't shoot ball ammo without malfunctioning?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many rounds are through it? Smaller guns are just finicky-er as they don't have a lot of slide mass. I remember Kahr had like a 200rd (or was it 500?) disclaimer for a break-in period.

Me personally, I'd continue to use the weak 115g stuff simply for the random surprise stoppage practice it provides and only get concerned if it is still doing it after 500rds down range.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
How many rounds are through it? Smaller guns are just finicky-er as they don't have a lot of slide mass. I remember Kahr had like a 200rd (or was it 500?) disclaimer for a break-in period.

Me personally, I'd continue to use the weak 115g stuff simply for the random surprise stoppage practice it provides and only get concerned if it is still doing it after 500rds down range.

A little over 200 rounds through it right now.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The range instructor with me said he could tell a big difference in how fast the slide moved from the practice ammo to the duty ammo.

This right here is significant. Try some different, hotter practice ammo and see if the issues continue.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What was the practice ammo? At this point, I would try it with a couple of different practice ammo.

If you haven't I would also shot the ammo that was causing the problem in a different gun. One that has proven it will eat anything.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try different brands as some guns can be finicky with a specific brand, I try to have different brands on hand to see what my gun likes better.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned, Nt 43X has been flawless with various kinds of ammo, including steel cased. It's a problem with your specific gun imo and I'd make sure Glock fixes it.

If you're using a specific brand, and it's only that brand that gives you issues, then that's a different story.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have about 1200 rounds thru mine. Blazer brass, sig fmj , sig v crown, am eagle , Speer gold dots both 115 and 124 , zero issues

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you lubricate the pistol? Glocks get away with very little lubricant, but shouldn't be run dry. If you're able to tap the slide and drop it into battery, it suggests that there may be a bit too much drag on the slide or mechanism to let it slide home under spring pressure alone; eliminating some of that drag by lubricating can make a big difference.

Changing magazines can do that, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
It’s done it with two different brands of ammo, both brass cased 115 grain fmj. I did not lube it after I got it back.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I would be more concerned if it did it w/ 124 and 147 grain.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Have you disassembled and done the "plunk" test with the ammo? I had approximately 100 of 200 rounds of .45acp fail that with one of my other guns.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
It’s done it with two different brands of ammo, both brass cased 115 grain fmj. I did not lube it after I got it back.

I would be concerned. Issues with two different ammo brand would not make me happy. I'ma assuming this is commercial ammo. If that ammo work in other guns fine I would contact Glock. That's not acceptable.

I've shot all kinds of ammo through Glocks(although not a G43) with very few issues over thousands of rounds.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is it possible you are riding the slide with your grip/thumb and slowing it enough to cause the issue. I am only offering a possible cause and don’t mean to deride your skills or anything. I just know I have had a gun that my grip could cause a slide impediment from time to time and it took a bit to figure out it was me causing the occasional issue.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely would not accept this at all. The gun should function flawlessly with any type of ammo...especially fmj...period. Glock needs to make it right.
I find it funny how many people give something like this a pass because it is a glock. Especially because it is a glock, it is not be ok. If it was a p365 everyone would be jumping all over this issue.
I have yet to shoot a g43x or g48, but I do have thousands of round through my g43 without a single hiccup, which is why I carry it without worry. Most of the practice rounds through it were various 115gr factory loads.
You should not be having any issues with any loads, so definitely do not let off glock until they make it right. There is certainly something going on with your individual pistol. Defensive pistols should be able to digest anything you throw at them, and for the most part all glocks I have run into can. Don't settle on this by assuming everything is ok and the gun will work with higher quality/heavier ammo. If the potential is there to hang up on 115gr, it dould happen with any load. Glocks have a great reputation for a reason, but they are not all 'perfect' like they would like to claim. Get it fixed, then enjoy.

"No more 'I have to go to the bathroom'. There is no bathroom!!"

Posts: 216 | Location: SC | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pistol not lubricated.

It's mechanical. Lubricate it.

posted Hide Post
quote:

You do not mention the type of ammo you are using.

I would try the plonk test first.

I was loading 147's to 115 OAL which worked fine in my SIGs. The Glock has a slightly tighter chamber and would do what you describe, stopping just short of battery and I had to pry the slide back to clear the round.

Turns out the 147's were seated far enough back that the base of the bullet would hit the case wall where it began to thicken. The result was an ever so slight expansion ring which stopped the round from fully chambering.

The problem was eliminated by increasing the AOL a few thousandths. Now the rounds plnok in the SIG and the 43.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Stop shooting Remington and WWB.

Get some decent 124grn stuff.
This is the exact reason Kahr tells people to use more powerfull ammo.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kahr has a lot of excuses.

I can run winchester white box all day long is just about anything I own, without any issues.

Remington is dirty, but runs just fine. I don't think I've ever had a problem with it.

Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stop shooting Remington and WWB.Get some decent 124grn stuff.

I've used Sellier and Bellot and another brand but can't remember what it is. I don't shoot Remington or Winchester. The funny thing is aluminum cased Blazer fmj ammo shot fine.

The plunk test- I'm assuming this is dropping a round in the chamber with the barrel out of the gun. I did this and all the ammo went in and out fine. I may not be doing that entirely correct though.

Someone mentioned riding the slide- I really don't think this is the problem. I have never done that and think the guy watching me would have noticed.

I think I'll clean and lube it good, then get some higher grain practice ammo to run through it as some have suggested. I love the little gun so I want it to run. It is very accurate, fits my hand well, carries well, and gives me extra rounds over my regular 43.

Any recommendations on good practice ammo to try?