SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suggestions for a .44 mag pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a .44 mag pistol Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If bears are expected, I’d want a double action over a single. And given its strength and durability, I’d pick the Redhawk any day.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have a 6" Smith 629, and I really like it. I have hunted with it in my younger days. I can't see me ever parting with it. That being said, I'm on the look out for a 4 or 5" stainless Redhawk.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Now I gotta decide whether to get revolver or rifle first. I love all of the responses; thank you all.

My main purpose of revolver would be for animal protection in the woods. The rifle will just be to have another lever action in a different caliber.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Now I gotta decide whether to get revolver or rifle first. I love all of the responses; thank you all.

My main purpose of revolver would be for animal protection in the woods. The rifle will just be to have another lever action in a different caliber.

Ok, Some thoughts.

Smaller/shorter barrel = more motion in hand when firing stout loads.

Smaller/shorter barrel = lighter packing, if for woods protection from animals.

IF that were my main concern, and I didn't expect to shoot it often, I'd probably go with the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. around a 3" barrel, but hecka stout. Heavier than S&W Mountain Guns [and avoid the 329- it can be painful], so better for range fun- and can handle more powerful loads.

The next step requires you to decide- DA/SA, or SA?

I personally prefer the Super Redhawk over the Redhawk, as it fits my hand better.

I'd go Alaskan. Or, get a Super Redhawk with a cut-down barrel to around 5-5.5".

Also, if attacked, you can have your left arm in the cougars mouth and keep pulling the trigger with the right into the belly.

Now, for elegance, and more thought involved in shooting- I prefer the look/balance/use of the 5.5" Super Blackhawk. However, if your left arm is in the belly, you have to cock and fire the pistol one-handed: more challenging than just pulling the trigger 5-6 times.

It all depends on what you REALLY want- portability, or comfort when shooting at the range. The best of both worlds is one of each.

As for rifles- you need to take a look at what Buffalo Bore recommends for their hottest rifles as a starting point.

I went Marlin, as I want to mount a scope for my eyes. Most others are top eject, and that can be problematic.

So- for animal protection, start investigating the Ruger SuperRedhawk Alaskan.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
As others have said....Ruger's Blackhawk or Redhawk according to whether you want single or double action.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've owned a few S&W 29/629 versions along with a Ruger SBH 7 1/2", and shot a couple of Redhawks in different lengths. The 7 1/2" Redhawk is a little too muzzle heavy for me, I prefer the 5 1/2" version of that gun. In a S&W the 6" is about right. A Redhawk in either length will absorb recoil that's downright unpleasant in even the 6" Smith. I had a 4" 29 for a while, that one was just mean unless I shot .44 Specials in it, then it was fun (it tended to annoy other people on the range, too). I occasionally get a yen for an older (3-screw) Blackhawk .44, but haven't found one when I had the money yet. One thing I found with the Super Blackhawk was, it tended to pinch the shit out of my trigger finger (between the trigger and the guard).

My preferences these days lean toward less powerful offerings like the .45LC. I've got two of those now, a Colt SAA and a Ruger New Vaquero, and love them. But at some point I'll probably pick up another 29 or 629 (or the 3-screw if I can find one).

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
My choice bear & more gun is my S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun, a delight to carry (used a shoulder holster) and more than enough gun if you do your part.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The S&W 69 is nice easy to carry five shot 44 magnum. You have a bit more recoil than the larger framed guns, but it's very easy to carry all day.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Allow me to be the lone weirdo here who recommends an S&W 329 PD, ideally carried in a Gunfighters, Inc Kenai 2 chest rig. They kick like a son of a bitch but there isn't a better bear (wheel)gun. If you're even mildly recoil sensitive, forget it.

My personal preference for a woods/bear/people/truck/antitank pistol is a G20 with Underwood 180 flat nose FMJs, but you asked for a 44.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:...

My personal preference for a woods/bear/people/truck/antitank pistol is a G20 with Underwood 180 flat nose FMJs, but you asked for a 44.

I can understand that- but lean G29 instead. Of course, I am in Cali, which has had a 10 round mag limit since 2000, until 3 days ago, and it is up in the air now.

If 10 was max, no reason for G20 over G29, and gain ease of carry- at least, for my purposes.

But, .44mag is the focus- so, let's get back to it! Smile

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have a hefty respect for bears. I always have my 4" magnaported nickled 29-2. I also have a Marlin .44 mag, but I prefer a .45-70 or a 12 gauge.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I would only consider ruger myself. Most durable. I have Blackhawks, red hawks and super redhawks. If I had to chose one, it would be the redhawk. Double action and not as heavy as the super.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Ok, Some thoughts.

Smaller/shorter barrel = more motion in hand when firing stout loads.

Smaller/shorter barrel = lighter packing, if for woods protection from animals.

IF that were my main concern, and I didn't expect to shoot it often, I'd probably go with the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. around a 3" barrel, but hecka stout. Heavier than S&W Mountain Guns [and avoid the 329- it can be painful] , so better for range fun- and can handle more powerful loads.

I had a 329PD, yeah it was not pleasant to shoot, but shooting it was/is more pleasant than being eaten by a wild animal!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

I had a 329PD, yeah it was not pleasant to shoot, but shooting it was/is more pleasant than being eaten by a wild animal!

I can get behind that!

I guess I was basically saying it seems best as a 'pack often, shoot seldom' firearm- whereas a 7.5" Super Redhawk is more a 'pack seldom, shoot often' pistol.

but it is better than pepper spray also [aka: bear breath spray].

posted Hide Post
Check out a S&W 69 if you have the opportunity. It is lighter and easier to pack than larger frame revolvers, and it is very accurate.

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 20, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post